Noodle Arm wants some helpful critiques

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Noodle Arm wants some helpful critiques

Postby Itchy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:28 pm

So I was filming myself throw anneys with a strong back wind and decided it was time to get video of me trying to throw max distance. This is at a baseball field with a 380' fence (I skip off the grass [weeds] and hit the fence with the first throw... never have hit it clean, yet). The park gets a pretty strong tailwind in the evenings, so that's why I was throwing there. All throws are with a 175g Star TL except the fourth one, which is a 165g ESP Cyclone which creeped in during editing out everything else. Oh, and one of those I grip-locked pretty bad along the right foul line.

Think I can get over 400'?

Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Noodle Arm wants some helpful critiques

Postby JR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Can you start the arm acceleration later and then do it more explosively? Which way flies farther for you? You set the final step so far left that it tilts you anny. If that is not intentional moving the plant position right will lead to a flat release or aligned posture to the flat throw. If you take more steps things will get more difficult. It may be difficult to control the body and timing so you may lose distance at first. That is why i would start by reaching back farther and letting the torso face away from the target in the x step and pointing both feet farther away from the target. That alone takes a lot of learning and it is even more difficult with a faster speed from the run up.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MDP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Itchy wrote:So I was filming myself throw anneys with a strong back wind and decided it was time to get video of me trying to throw max distance. This is at a baseball field with a 380' fence (I skip off the grass [weeds] and hit the fence with the first throw... never have hit it clean, yet). The park gets a pretty strong tailwind in the evenings, so that's why I was throwing there. All throws are with a 175g Star TL except the fourth one, which is a 165g ESP Cyclone which creeped in during editing out everything else. Oh, and one of those I grip-locked pretty bad along the right foul line.

Think I can get over 400'?

Yes. You seem to have decent acceleration and some weight shift down. But you'll need to change some fundamental things.

You can start by getting that left hand off your disc. It won't let your shoulder's open and rotate properly. It should be down and slightly behind you for the first part of the throw. You'll figure out to use it to adjust rotation speed and balance.

You can reach back and rotate further on your back swing. You should actually turn away from the target (head/shoulders/back and all) for a portion of it. Reach back, elongate your arm while keeping it on the plane you want to pull through. Once you start forward try to keep the disc close to your body, and your hand on the side of the disc farthest away from you as long as you can (your thumb should point backwards).

The very end of your through should feel similar to what you're doing now. If you can throw 380' with almost no reach back, it shouldn't take a whole lot more to get to 400'. Once you get this down you also won't need to throw anhyzer to get distance, just release em flat.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Itchy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:39 pm

JR:
1) reach back more
I've slowly been reaching back further and further since I started playing. That video is probably the furthest back I've reached so far.
2) Moving the plant position right will lead to a flat release or aligned posture to the flat throw.
Makes perfect sense. I'll end up leaning forward instead of to the right. I'll work on that as well.
3) Pointing both feet farther away from the target.
Is this before the run up, after the run up or at the hit? Or all of them?

MDP:
1) Left hand down away from disc
Yeah, I know. That's a bad habit I got when I started playing. I used to keep the disc at my right pec, run up with the disc in both hands to keep it flat, then throw. I really need to work on leaving the left hand away from the disc.
2) When I have the reach back down, release flat instead of anhyzer.

OK, so it sounds like changing the foot work a little and working on reach back (along with leaving the left hand out off the disc) are my priorities. Thanks JR and MDP, I'll work on those and try to clean up my throw. :D
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:13 pm

3: As the x step plants you want to vary the angles both feet point away from the target based on what you are trying to do. In control shots you may not want to add anything compared to your video and for all out distance you should go for 180 degrees away from the target. Prior to doing 360 that is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 am

Follow through. Gonna hurt yourself throwing like that.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Itchy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the footing clarification JR. I saw in another thread Jenkins throwing in slow motion and payed close attention to his shoulders and feet. They got a clear 180 away from the target before he starts his pull through which I'll work up to for more powerful throws.

rusch_bag: What do you mean, follow through... with the arm, body, both? I've been told I don't follow through enough when it comes to walking out after the throw but I've worked on walking forward/to the right after the hit. Does my arm need to swing out after it hits forward?
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:52 pm

I just noticed at your throw at 1:15 that you like stop your arm. I am not the best at video critiqueing and analyzing form but that jumped out to me.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Itchy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah, I did... I'm not sure if I do that a lot, or if it was a once in a while thing. I'll try and keep an eye on it though, it doesn't look good for my arm or form.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Video Critique