Masking discs during dying?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Masking discs during dying?

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:44 am

I've seen a lot of cool dyed discs on eBay that obviously have had some very intricate masking done during the dye process.

How do you guys do masking before you dye? What type of tape/whatever do you use, and what type should be avoided? I've heard that masking tape will bleed through.

Have any of you done really intricate masking, and if so, how have you gone about it? Exacto knife?

There's just a dearth of information on this topic available online, and when I've emailed the dye guys on eBay they never respond. (imagine that)
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:18 pm

I used a wax crayon on parts where I was gonna mask it. THe wax adheres to the disc and the dye cant penetrate it..Then i'll rub it off
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:43 am

i've used wax, white glue, and contact paper.
adhesive vinyl (the kind used in window stickers) should also work but may be more difficult to remove.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:51 pm

I'm thinking that if i used contact paper, then mixed my RIT with acetone, it would probably bleed through the paper....mixing the RIT with acetone seems to make it more "bleedy".

Anybody try this before?
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:08 pm

First time i messed with dying I got the Rit, but they only had the liquid stuff. SO thats what i used.
On my champion discs it barely did anything, real faint dying to it, Then i mixed it with Acetone and it became a lot darker. Definately use acetone if you want it to stain more. I did it in layers tho. I'd make my design, let it dry and clean the gritty stuff off, Then dye over it again.

I didnt do anything real elaborate, just some thorn kinda vinish designs in the middle of my discs, but came out kinda cool having some really dark, and some real real light ones in the background
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Pagan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:16 pm

The vinyl stickers (like for window decals) work GREAT! You can usually get them cheap enough. If you dont want to buy the decals to dye with invest a couple bucks in shipping tape. The wide clear tape. I've found I can easily tape the entire disc, then use a boxcutter (razor-knife) to cut the areas I want dyed. I used tape to mask a
confederate flag dye job that went well. take a look The lines visible are actually the mini-blinds behind the disc as I held it up to the window for picture. If you use the tape masking method be patient removing it. Just peel off a section and ease it off in strips.

The acetone works really well to darken and accelerate the dying process. What would take a few hours using water and rit dye would take minutes using acetone... Fumes reek though!

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:57 pm

wouldn't painters masking tape work well?
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:11 pm

any masking tape will run especially using acetone.
I perfer contact paper but have been messing (with good results) using vasoline/petroleum jelly. just mask a negitive of how you would like with tape or contact paper, then smear petroleum jelly over the exposed parts, remove contact paper and dye and rinse. then wipe off the remains.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

vaseline

Postby twmccoy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm

I use vaseline. I cut out a pattern in contact paper opposite of the finished product, stick it on and then rub the vaseline thick around the edges. Then peel the contact paper off carefully, leaving sharp vaseline lines. I then brush the dye on with a paint brush. I also rinse and do several coats for good color. As long as you don't smudge the vaseline this works great.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:42 pm

i think it was you terry that gave me the vasoline idea in the first place as well.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:54 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:i think it was you terry that gave me the vasoline idea in the first place as well.

Have you had any luck with it? I've done a few decent dyes using it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:33 am

I only have gotten to use it once, and it didnt bleed, but the lines werent as sharp and a sharp line w/ contact paper. I think I could improve on that, and it will definately work better for some more complex dye jobs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:36 am

Does anyone know of a dye that will hold on KC Pro plastic? Or even DX?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 pm

champ (CE and Proline), z, star, esp (I assume), pro and x all hold dye quite well. Dx and D wont hold dye worth a wiz. Using variations of heat and chemicals Ive gotten dye on them but it never lasts and will never be bold. Ive never dyed kc pro, but I assume it will hold as well as pro if not better.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

dyeing

Postby twmccoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:27 pm

I've dyed champion, z, x and pro plastic. I find that x and z probably hold the dye the best. The pro also dyes well but over time the lines will blur due to the dye moving through the plastic. I'm sure the KC pro plastic would dye well. I've also seen dyed star plastic that looks great.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Equipment