Would LOVE some help...

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Would LOVE some help...

Postby stinlin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I'll just leave this here. I need some help. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi2z9dfLqog

Slow motion!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY1jLjmjpLs
Last edited by stinlin on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stinlin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Would LOVE some help...

Postby Whiz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

A: You are rolling your wrist. Finish your throw with the palm roughly perpendicular to the ground (same orientation as if you were putting your hand out for a handshake) and the thumb pointing toward the sky. Right now you are finishing the throw with the palm facing up towards the sky (as if you were holding water in your palm) and your thumb pointing to your right (parallel to the ground.) . Basically you are doing the same motion with your wrist while throwing that you would use to turn a doorknob with your hand clockwise. This is bad.

B: You are changing the plane of your shoulders during the throw. This is almost always bad unless you are a pro-caliber player. For a flat shot keep your shoulders rotating on a flat and level plane. To demonstrate this, stand straight up and just turn at the waist to the left and then back to the right. This is your shoulders staying on the same plane. For a hyzer your right shoulder should start low as you bend forward at the waist and end high. For a hyzer your left shoulder should be higher than the right during the reachback and should end lower during the throw and follow through.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby stinlin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Not sure I understand B. A, I totally get. That I can work on. :) I'm uploading a slow-mo video of all the throws, too. It will take a few, but I think that will be more helpful than the regular speed.
stinlin
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:28 am

Masterbeato wrote that you should try to punch the elbow through a board. So you need more speed to get the elbow closer to the target before you chop the elbow straight. That is a lack in snap.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby fanter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 am

You're reaching AROUND your body and, as a result, throwing the disc off of your left shoulder. Use a straighter reachback, and maybe even reach less. It will open up some room to punch the elbow, like JR said, and it will make shoulder plane conservation much easier.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Apothecary » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 am

learn the hyzer flip. itll change your life. youre getting quite a bit of snap, but, as whiz said, your doing some weird handsy stuff at the end and your shoulders are changing planes. heed his advice.

a lot of this stuff is easier to learn if you eliminate any run up and stand-and-deliver instead. yes, youll throw like a little girl at first...but if you learn to hyzer flip understable stuff and then neutral stuff, youll be ahead of the game.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby stinlin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 am

Apothecary wrote:learn the hyzer flip. itll change your life. youre getting quite a bit of snap, but, as whiz said, your doing some weird handsy stuff at the end and your shoulders are changing planes. heed his advice.

a lot of this stuff is easier to learn if you eliminate any run up and stand-and-deliver instead. yes, youll throw like a little girl at first...but if you learn to hyzer flip understable stuff and then neutral stuff, youll be ahead of the game.

I would prefer to learn without any run up - one step and throw would be fine with me. :lol:

And this is a vague question, I know, but why are my shoulders changing planes? I think I can see it, but like...I'm lost. I wouldn't know how to go out to a field and be all like, "Woah! My shoulders are wonky as shit! I'm going to do something about it!" I don't really know HOW I would go about fixing this problem. :(
stinlin
Noob

Postby Apothecary » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:36 am

stinlin wrote:I would prefer to learn without any run up - one step and throw would be fine with me. :lol:

And this is a vague question, I know, but why are my shoulders changing planes? I think I can see it, but like...I'm lost. I wouldn't know how to go out to a field and be all like, "Woah! My shoulders are wonky as shit! I'm going to do something about it!" I don't really know HOW I would go about fixing this problem. :(

stand-and-deliver means no steps at all. both feet are planted until your follow through (think of generating power in the soles of your feet and transferring it through your body to your fingertips...like a boxer).

your shoulders are changing plane because youve made a common noob mistake and become dependent on your anny release to generate torque and, therefore, distance. to progress, you must learn to shape different lines than the s-curve. so learn how to release with hyzer and have your discs skip or land flat at the end of their run and learn to release flat and have the disc turn on its own, holding an anny line for the majority of its flight and landing flat. golf becomes a lot easier when you learn how to shape lines.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby aDave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

The more you throw while thinking about specifics of the form, the more you will become aware of what your body is doing.
You have to let your brain know that you really care about what's going on before it will provide the necessary resources to give you that feedback.
It's the same as learning any skill and it's why (I think) that Blake doesn't try to teach snap to noobs.
I taught drums for many years and there is a reason that we would start newbies slow. I mean really slow, unusable slow.
It was to drill the mechanics into their hands. Once they had the basics down we began to speed things up.
The jerky motions of the basics would almost always get smoothed out just by increasing speed.
This approach has really helped me.
Whiz once told me to try to rotate my wrist to the right at release and see what happened to nose orientation.
at first I was like "there's no way that I will be able to time that" but after a couple of sessions really thinking about it I was able to feel it and now I can do it at will.
I also find it helpful to try to do it REALLY wrong on purpose a couple of times to get the feel for the error.
From then it's just a matter of slowing it down and thinking "keep my shoulders in plane dammit!".
You will get a feel for it, no question.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby gretagun » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am

stinlin,

For plane preservation, I would suggest taking discs like your rocs and buzzzs and practice throwing hyzers and anhyzers, at varying degrees of angles. In order to throw these shots properly, your shoulders have to remain on the same plane through out the throw AND your follow through. I used to have a big problem throwing hyzers, and what I found out was my shoulders would start on a hyzer plane, but would end up on a "flat throw" plane by the time the disc left my hand. This would result in the disc flying more to the right with minimal fade, instead of holding a strong hyzer line, like I wanted. When I really focused on keeping my shoulders on a hyzer plane for the entire throw and follow through, I started getting hyzers that really cut back to the left like they should, or anhyzers that would hold that angle down to the ground without fading back left.

I have a park by my house and I practice throwing hyzers and anhyzers to the base of a tree, or I will try to throw a hyzer or anhyzer around a tree. I would suggest having some kind of target to focus on. Once these start feeling good, then work on some flat shots, and really try to keep your shoulders on the correct plane.

Edit: Looks like Apothecary made the same suggestion regarding hyzer releases. He made some really good points.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Return to Video Critique