New golfer bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New golfer bag

Postby Ductape98 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:03 pm

I am a fairly new player and currently have 6 discs.

Dx wraith
Champion tee bird
Star mako
Dx roc
Dx shark
Dx aviar p&a

I throw somewhere between 250 and 300 (I think) with the wraith. I could probably trade my shark for either a dx archangel or a dx leopard. Should I do that? Also what other discs do I need for a more complete bag. I would like to stay with innova as much as I can because it is all that they sell near me and thus what all of my friends throw.
Ductape98
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star mako

Re: New golfer bag

Postby LADG Jones » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Pretty good set up for a new player and as to your trade suggestion, I would definitely suggest the Leopard for a new player. They're great discs whether you've been playing two weeks or twenty years.

Edit: Also, I know you said you're wanting to stick to Innova stuff, but eventually you really need to branch out... There are great discs from almost every company who makes disc golf gear. As far as drivers go you can get essentially the same stuff from any company, but when it comes to mids and putters there are definitely companies outside of Innova who make some stuff you should really check out once you get good form.
11x FIREBIRDS - KC PRO TEEBIRDS - VISIONS - RIVERS - WRAITHS - FR BOSS - PRO LINE MONSTER
BUZZZ - VECTOR - CORE
WIZARD - WIZARD- AND UH... WIZARD

Brand loyalty is ridiculous.
LADG Jones
Noob

Favorite Disc: Opto Vision

Postby Dbuntu » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:26 pm

You should totally get a DX Leopard. I started in the same distance range as you and it was the first driver I could control and I still have it in my bag after a few hundred holes and lots of bag retooling.
I'd think Wraith, Teebird, Leopard, Mako, Roc, Aviar would be a pretty solid bag to start with. It's really similar to what I carry and I never feel like there is a shot I don't have a good disc for. I sometimes feel there are shots I don't have good throws for, but that's something else entirely.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Ductape98 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 pm

I went out to a local 9 hole today with only my star mako and my wraith and had my best score yet of 30. I think they are all par 3 exept the last two which are par four putting me one over. I think the mako may become my putter and mid.
Ductape98
Noob

Postby Dbuntu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:35 pm

The Mako isn't a putter. You should putt with a putter. See the vast number of threads for the long winded version, but I'll give you the short one.
For putting a putter will be better than a mid range. This is mathematically provable. Even if you presently hit more with the Mako, it is not designed for putting.
If you simply don't like your Aviar give something else a go. There are 5-6 variations on the Aviar and Innova makes another 10 or so different putters. Have a look around your city though there might be more than Innova out there. I stumbled across a disc golf pro shop in my neighborhood, you might find somewhere.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Ductape98 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:06 pm

I think I like the larger diameter and glide of the mako better. what would a putter equivalent be?
Ductape98
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Do you like the larger diameter or the lower height actually? For most people that don't like tall putters a thinner disc is better grip and cleanliness of release. There Innova XD or Latitude 64 Spike would work and both are at the fast end of putters so they are not that different from the Mako in putting flight. Innova Dart is even faster but it is semi tall and blows by far because it won't fade as much as the other two.

I haven't heard of thin wide rimmed putters only tall ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ductape98 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Hey guys, because of an order on discgolfcenter and finding some discs in the woods with no phone number of name I have way more discs than I know what to do with. My throw distance just got way better thanks to some online stuff and I think I can now hit 300 given a flat field. I now have the following
Dx wraith (getting pretty beat up thanks to some trees and a metal pole)
Champ teebird (good condition)
Dx sidewinder ( new)
Dx valk ( new but got run over by a car idk how much it affects it)
Champ eagle (good condition)
star destroyer (good)
Those are only my drivers but I went from the wraith and teebird to all 6 of those. If you could only throw as far as I and had all of those what would you use them for?

Thanks!
Ductape98
Noob

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 pm

try an "aero" from Innova if you like the mako
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion