altitude temperature etc... on disc flight

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:58 pm

cold air is denser i agree, molecules are moving slower yada yada...
but at altitude the air is thinner. cold has effects on the density of air, and something else not mentioned yet is its effects on plastic, especially baseline plastics. It gets harder. All winter I thought my banger gts were very hard for putters, now (especially my black ones) get rather soft when its sunny.(in comparison, they still are rather firm)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:44 pm

My car accellerates better and smoother when it is cold out. I drive a little 2dr. sports car and it is much more fun to drive when it's cold.

I have some video of Kiss the Sky in Aspen and the discs seem like they fly forever down the slopes of the mountain. I would love to try this some day. Cold air, thin air, whatever, it looked really fun.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:10 am

i think that has to do with things like people are throwing rocs 600 feet due to extreme altitude changes, and the rocs just take longer to get there.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:54 pm

discmonkey42 wrote:My car accellerates better and smoother when it is cold out. I drive a little 2dr. sports car and it is much more fun to drive when it's cold.

I highly doubt that your car accelerates faster. The air/fuel mixture would be minmized and the cold air wouldn't allow for the proper mixture (ever notice that you use more gas in the winter?). Warm dry air actually provides for a much better mixture of air/fuel giving you better accelleration. but yes driving in the snow rocks, only with RWD. sorry to get off topic.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Smyith wrote:I highly doubt that your car accelerates faster. The air/fuel mixture would be minmized and the cold air wouldn't allow for the proper mixture (ever notice that you use more gas in the winter?). Warm dry air actually provides for a much better mixture of air/fuel giving you better accelleration. but yes driving in the snow rocks, only with RWD. sorry to get off topic.

The reason you use more gas in the winter is because your engine runs with a rich fuel to air ratio until it reaches operating temperature.
http://www.startribune.com/131/story/151177.html

He probably right about the accleration thing, though it's unlikely it's enough horsepower difference to feel in the ass dyno.
Colder air will provide better power.
If you still don't believe me answer why people put cold air intakes on their vehicles to increase performance. Why do they add intercoolers?
Not meant to flame...we're all friends here...just refuting incorrect statements.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Whether it's supposed to or not, the thing is faster in the cold. It's kinda like how your car runs better after an oil change. It's very minor, but you can just feel it when you drive. I drive fast a lot....must get home from the course in time to get to work on time!! :wink:

And by the way, I am flame retardant. I prefer to be corrected when I'm wrong. It happens a bunch. :roll:
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby krusen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:02 am

discmonkey42 wrote:And by the way, I am flame retardant. I prefer to be corrected when I'm wrong. It happens a bunch. :roll:

I was defending you discmonkey.
I like driving fast too. :twisted:

now back on topic.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Previous

Return to General Discussion