Index Finger In Putting Grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Index Finger In Putting Grip

Postby IONtotheRescue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:54 am

So i have been looking at pictures of grips on the internet recently, because I have been trying to improve my putting. I used to keep my index finger on the rim of the disc or just hanging off but not tucked into the rim. But after looking at numerous videos and pro write-ups of how they putt it seems like the universal putting grip is the fan grip, which involves the index finger tucked up against the rim just like in the power grip, while the middle and ring finger are fanned out on the disc and the pinky is tucked. This grip just feels so un-natural to me with the pinky tucked under like that, but if it is the correct grip i will put the time in to get comfortable with it.

Cliff notes version: Should my pinky finger be tucked under against the rim of the disc like it is in the power grip.
IONtotheRescue
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Index Finger In Putting Grip

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 am

I put the first bend of my finger on the bead and the tip just kind of hangs off. My index finger isn't long enough to create a pivot between it and my thumb through the flight plate so I just do what I can.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Dbuntu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Some quick research done by tossing putters at a chair ~7' away:
For spin putts the pinky curled gave me a slightly more wobbled flight and felt awkward.
For pushes it seems to give no better or worse flight than my standard grip [index on the rim others fanned under]
So there's 12 throws worth of poorly executed scientific study. Take it as it is.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby JR » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 am

Index finger on the rim and outermost joint under the bead or bottom of the disc is the key to avoid slipping early. The other major thing is to allow the other fingers to leave freely from the disc. Finger spring finish is always nice and not ever having the elbow straight with the disc in the hand in a laser line putt.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dig It » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 am

I'd like to add my two cents on this ION.

I was looking at putting grips for a while and came to the same conclusion that the index finger needs to be tucked under the rim. I even told a friend I have been showing the ropes of DG that that's the best practice.

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to take part in a putting clinic put on by Jay "Yeti" Reading. Needless to say I was blown away when his suggestion, and the way he putts is to have his finger on the outside rim. He says he uses it to aim at the target.

I realize this is anecdotal evidence but I wanted to tell you that moving your index finger under the rim is not something you HAVE to do to putt well because Yeti is arguably one of the best putters in the game right now and he doesn't. I thought he might be an exception and not the rule and when I asked him during the clinic what the common practice was about index placement he said many of his peers putt with their finger outside as well.

Sorry to address the premise rather than the question but I wanted to give you that take.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Booter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 am

I putt with my index on the outter rim like yeti. Ive putted like that since I started a long time ago. Ive tried to put my finger under the bead like others but its never comfortable enoigh. I always ended up going back to the outter rim. For me,it does help me to aim since im a straight,flat ,spin putter
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Return to Technique