Ask Gateway!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ask Gateway!

Postby cfair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 am

GatewayDiscSports wrote:
Itchy wrote:just for reference,,,id say 70% of all Star destroyers, max's, excalibers and tee-rexes do not pass the flex standard and most discs in the top players bags are too firm to pass the 27 lb rule.

I never knew about a flex rule... does that mean vibram's softs aren't PDGA legal?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 am

cfair wrote:
GatewayDiscSports wrote:Never seen a new flippy wizard out of the box in the 9 years of making them, but I can only throw the wizard about 360 feet,,do you have a picture of one?

360? Or 260?

Assuming this is Dave Mac posting...

What up Dave, this is Joe T.

I am guessing he meant 360. If you have never played a round with Dave, he can bust out 400+ straight out of the car without warming up(Or at least he used to be able to when I first met him :D ).

Looking forward to trying out the Slayer.

Also...the Scout and Warrior is a great 1-2 mid combo, especially if you can get an S-Scout and S-Warrior worked in a little.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Dimple/Surface Technology and if you still plan to use it or if that project has died.
Last edited by BLURR on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Amateur » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:24 am

Dave Mac is a beast.
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:44 am

GatewayDiscSports wrote:but seriously what is it about the wizards you speak of are bad in your opinion?

All of the soft Wizards I got that had the large "Soft" stamp were high shouldered. They weren't flippy, but they wouldn't hold a hyzer, and they felt huge in the hand. They also had more glide. They fly well and have their uses (long putts or an immediate stand in for my seasoned slot), but they aren't as versatile and don't feel as good in the hand as the less glidey, flatter, overstable ones.

Fortunately I had enough lower shouldered/flatter ones to get me through the recent runs and I'm glad to hear they are back.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dig It » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 am

What was the reason you guys axed the Element X? Was it just to hurt my personal feelings? Those things were every square inch as good as Rocs (S especially).
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby discspeed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

GatewayDiscSports wrote:
Steve wrote:What discs are your sponsered pros throwing?

John E McCray uses just about everything we make,, he's still throwing all Gateway and doing quite well ( like 20 pdga wins in the last 2 years.)

I'd say he's doing ok :wink: . He's won a couple of our FL tour events 10 years in a row now! JohnE is a friend and I'm sure you know that he bleeds GDS. I don't think I've met a finer representative for a disc golf company...I've never even heard him concede that any disc from another company was as good as Gateway :lol: .
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am

GatewayDiscSports wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:What was up with wizards from last fall til this spring that were flippy out of the box? bad plastic or something else?

Never seen a new flippy wizard out of the box in the 9 years of making them, but I can only throw the wizard about 360 feet,,do you have a picture of one?

Don't have a pic as I got rid of all the flippy ones. They had a higher shoulder, were domey and felt really deep in the hand. They flew, out of the box, like a new magic or slightly beat voodoo which is not a bad thing but is also not what I am looking for in a new wizard. They would flip up from hyzers or if thrown flat, would track right for 2/3 of the flight before straightening out. I will say they had more glide than a normal wizard which was nice but wasn't enough to cancel out the other problems I had with them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Leopard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 am

"Bad" Wizards:
Frank Delicious wrote:They had a higher shoulder, were domey and felt really deep in the hand.
emiller3 wrote:... high shouldered... they felt huge in the hand. ... don't feel as good in the hand as the less glidey, flatter, overstable ones.

Fortunately I had enough lower shouldered/flatter ones to get me through the recent runs and I'm glad to hear they are back.

what those guys said
i've used and piled up wizards for ~4-5 years and the "bad"/different batches just didn't feel like the model of putter i used.

i haven't seen a bad Wizard come out of a Gateway box in months :)
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby cfair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 am

I am currently testing out some of gateway's putters. I have some of the wizards frank is talking about. They turn more than the warlocks I am throwing. But do fade harder. I am throwing them 280 up a 20' slow slope. Warlocks about 10' farther. Also if someone wants to get me a pic of the wizards frank is talking about I'll make a composite and outline of them to give a visual difference. Just pm me the pick.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Itchy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 pm

GatewayDiscSports wrote:
Itchy wrote:Are there any stiff HPP Elements? I like Elements and I like HPP plastic, just wish it was stiffer.

There are some fairly stiff pink ones on the shel;f right now,, how stiff do you like it?,,,is outside the rules ok???

have you thrown any of the firm E scouts??

I like firm stuff as well and wish it was ok to make more of our stuff firmer , but we try our best to manufacture within the rules,, sometimes a few stiffies get out and into someones hands.

Call or write the pdga and tell them you like it stiff :) and see if they will change the rules.

just for reference,,,id say 70% of all Star destroyers, max's, excalibers and tee-rexes do not pass the flex standard and most discs in the top players bags are too firm to pass the 27 lb rule.

Yes, I've been buying the purple/pink ones because they felt the stiffest in the store. I like them firm like the first two discs in this video (first is a S, the second and third are HPP).

I didn't know there were rules about how much flex a disc had to have (hope I haven't put anybody on blast) and I only play for fun, but I'm still picky about my plastic (and some times rubber). If I could get one more stiff one I'd be pretty happy to have the back up.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
GatewayDiscSports wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:What was up with wizards from last fall til this spring that were flippy out of the box? bad plastic or something else?

Never seen a new flippy wizard out of the box in the 9 years of making them, but I can only throw the wizard about 360 feet,,do you have a picture of one?

Don't have a pic as I got rid of all the flippy ones. They had a higher shoulder, were domey and felt really deep in the hand. They flew, out of the box, like a new magic or slightly beat voodoo which is not a bad thing but is also not what I am looking for in a new wizard. They would flip up from hyzers or if thrown flat, would track right for 2/3 of the flight before straightening out. I will say they had more glide than a normal wizard which was nice but wasn't enough to cancel out the other problems I had with them.

I had numerous wizards like this as well. Hated them. Love normal wizards though.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby chickenonabun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Do these "bad wizards" (which I don't really think are that bad) turn over even if you can only throw them like 250 feet? Cuz I turn over my wizards all the time and I don't have that much power, I want to know if its my OAT issues or the discs.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm

yes
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:23 pm

when will gateway be running medium wizards in the 150-160 range?
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby money 21 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

are the glow voodoo's or the organic voodoo's more stable then the hpp or different levels of s plastic. i use a combination of sss and hpp voodoo's currently and the shot a struggle most with is a hyzer line. I love the voodo and don't want to pair another putter with it so i usually just power down my demons.

I have an old scout in the h plastic and love the feel any chance you might run this plastic again i think the new scout would kick ass in the h plasic.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment