Fanter's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fanter's Bag

Postby fanter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:11 pm

That's what I've been considering, really. I've just been using Eagles/beaten Pred to cover what would otherwise be the OLF shots. It's in the interest of keeping my mold count low for now. I did throw my QOLF into a headwind yesterday and was surprised by its lack of turn, but I think it slowed down a lot because it is a lighter weight. If I do add an OLF to the regular lineup, it will need to be heavier than 162g. I had a 172 SOLF that wasn't good for much since it had a warped top.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby fanter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 pm

The Z Comet comes and goes. I played five rounds with it today and it's an awesome disc, and lots of fun to drive off the tee. It's very responsive. When I start to add more molds to the bag, this will probably be one of them.

I also threw an ESP Surge for the first time in a while. It turned more than my Champion Valkyries will, but it's obviously faster and easy to flip flat. I've heard this compared to a Wraith but I've found Wraiths to be more HSS while also feeling a bit wider.

I shot some good rounds today in windy and calm conditions.

/update
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm pondering a Hornet since I have zero confidence throwing a Buzzz into a moderate headwind. OLF is looking like a good addition to the bag, also, but I'll have to throw it against my Eagles to see if there's a big enough distance gap between the two.

The hypothetical bag:
x2 Focus - one for drives, one for putts/turnover drives
x2 Buzzz - weak ESP for turnovers, stable Z for staight shots
x1 Hornet - Ace Race, something stronger than a Buzzz
x2 Eagle - s-curvy Star, strong Champion
x2 Predator - beaten ESP (long, with lots of LSS), new ESP
x2 Valkyrie - 167 worn Champ, 175 Glow Champ
x1 QOLF - stable distance
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Tourney this Saturday has some super long holes, three ~500's, one ~700, so I'll probably start thinking about max D drivers. Available candidates are: Flow, Wraith, Surge (a little slower but I like it. I'm not sure it will be much longer than my Valkyries), Destroyer (a Pro and a well-tuned DX). I'll probably go with the Wraith since I have a new Star, and a lightly used Pro. I like the speed and straightness of the Flow but it needs more control than I have to offer it right now, I think.

2x Soft Focus
1x Z Comet
1x Z Buzzz
1x Ace Race Hornet
2x Eagle (I can't seem to keep these things in good, stable condition.)
2x Predator (worn/new)
2x Valkyrie
1x QOLF
?x Wraith
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm

the review of that course and the pictures lead me to believe it will be a windier, open, nixa type setup. But the average hole there is ~330 and it seems to be mostly open. Not too sure how much youll actually use the comet if its as windy as Im assuming, but its prolly not a bad thing to have it in the bag anyway.

Im curious if its going to be a heavy midrange off the tee type of day, or if ill actually need my fairway drivers.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Dbuntu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Why wouldn't you take a Comet on a windy day?
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

cuz if its not a tail wind youre not throwing it on a course thats essentially a field, more dependable discs to do the job in the bag IMO
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Last time I threw a Comet in a tailwind, it blew 50' past the basket. I might be leaving it home this weekend.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:10 pm

keep it in the car just in case IMO, if im wrong and its fairly windless you may kick yourself for not having it
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm

It occurred to me today that my utility overstable disc (Predator) is also the fastest (or as fast) as my max D drivers. Maybe I could benefit from something more in the "control driver" speed range, like a Banshee?
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:26 pm

meh, you can get similar flight out of your eagle if you are talking about powering down so much that your pred is too much at that speed. Id think between your eagle/OLF and Hornet you could cover most of what youre looking for, a banshee isnt as overstable as you might think unless you can find an older run, Nates banshees are barely more HSS and about the same LSS as his newer TB's

* Edit, mebe a 160's Pred if youre looking for workability at a lower power level, same mold and speed ino, but should be less meaty or at least easier to break in
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Wizard
Summit

Comet
Hornet

E-L
SEX
Z Pred
Champ Valk
QOLF

It's cool to impress people with a 380' Buzzz drive, but I'm not sure that I need one in the bag, really, so I'm going to try to phase it out. Comet is very workable and handles low power a little better. Maybe this won't last, but I'm going to try it.

I've considered adding a Leopard in the absence of the Buzzz because I can see them filling similar slots (low, straight) with the Leopard being more workable on more lines if necessary. For now I'm trying the E-L because I have a couple of them and they flip to flat very well, but might need more power than a Leopard.

I found that I like the shallow rim of the Summit for putting, and my Foci weren't cutting it for tee shots only. They're pretty straight on drives and I want more fade, so I'm going to try Wizards.

I still question carrying both the Orion and Eagle because my SEX's only become longer as they wear in.

From the drives I've thrown with other peoples' PD's, I'm nearly convinced that I could drop Orions and Valkyries for them. I'm not sure why that would help me except to drop myself down a mold. But I'm getting better at working the Valkyries on different lines and my QOLF is starting to take some awesome wear. Eh.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 pm

A valk/fresh S_PD combo would be good, IMO
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I've been officially Buzzz-less for a couple days now and I'm feeling alright about it. I'm giving Warlocks a shot as my putters. Picked up a 1.3 SOLF that is noticeably less overstable than my 1.2, but it's still awesome.

Warlock
Comet
Hornet
Eagles (L, Star, Champ)
Z Pred
Valkyrie (Star, Champ, sometimes a Glow Champ for fun)
OLF (Q, S)

I'm working on incorporating a flick and thumber into my game. Eagles, Predator, and OLF all flick and handle thumbers pretty well. I'll probably try flicking the Valkyrie and Comet also to see what sort of lines I can make them work. I've been executing flicks with success up to about 230' and it's really improving my game.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Picked up a new Silverback...

Warlock (trying these out)
QMS (trying it out)- not as straight as I'd hoped, giving it time to beat in a little
S-Sentinel (trying it out and loving it)- exactly what I wanted out of an overstable mid
Eagles (beaten KC, worn Star, heavy Champion)- Great for: EVERYTHING
Predator (weak ESP and fresh Z)- flicks, hard fade, headwind drives
Valkyrie (star, champ)- max D, ~400
OLF (Q and flippy S)- light winds, long hyzers, some thumbers, flicks
fanter
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion