Alex’s Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Alex’s Bag

Postby Alex714 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Hey guys, name is Alex. I’m from Monterey, California and pretty new to these forums. Thought I’d get my foot in the door by posting my current bag. I’ve been playing about a year or so. I can drive about 300 - 325 feet, and my short game is a wreck, but quickly improving. Any tips on what discs to try, or how to improve, feel free to shout.

(Written in red = Used the most)

Drivers:
Z Discraft Force - 173g
ProD Discraft Nuke - 171g

Star Wraith - 168g
Star TL - 172g
Glow Valkyrie - 172g
Champion TeeBird - 175g
Z Discraft Talon - Unknown
Z Discraft Wildcat - Unknown
Champion Beast - 168g
Old X-Clone Sig. Series - Unknown

Midranges:
Cryztal Z Buzzz - 173-178g
ProD Buzzz - 170g
Star Stingray - 180g

Pro Skeeter - 150g (Rescue/Standing in tree Shot)

Putters:
Champion Aviar - 175g
KC Pro Aviar - 175g

X Soft Challenger - 173g
Blowfly - 173g

Just Ordered:
ESP Meteor - 175g
X Cyclone - 172g
R-Pro Pig - 175g

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Alex714
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Stingray

Re: Alex’s Bag

Postby mickas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Alex714 wrote:Drivers:
Star TL - 172g
Glow Valkyrie - 172g
Champion TeeBird - 175g

get a firebird/predator/xxx

Midranges:
ProD Buzzz - 170g
Star Stingray - 180g

Putters:
Champion Aviar - 175g
KC Pro Aviar - 175g

X Soft Challenger - 173g

Just Ordered:
ESP Meteor - 175g
X Cyclone - 172g
R-Pro Pig - 175g

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I made some changes and by that I mean I took a lot of discs out, you have a lot of good discs in your bag but at your throwing distance you also have a lot discs that you aren't ready for. Your driver line up should be solid with a tl/valk/teebird/overstable disc but you don't need anything faster than a tl really for distance at this point, but keep the valk because it is a great introductory distance driver. Work on getting those teebirds out to around 375. The mid line up should be fine with a z buzzz/d buzzz/stingray, you probably don't even need the stingray if the d buzz is seasoned. A lot of players that are stuck at the 300-325 distance don't utilize their mids fully off the teepad, throw them more often and watch your form improve as your buzzzes get sneaky long, they really don't start getting unpredictable until thrown more than 350. The putters are fine, I'd choose between the challengers and aviars though because they are a very similar mold and it's easier to just stick with one, it really doesn't matter which but I'd recommend the aviars since you have 2 as opposed to 1 challenger. Start driving with the aviars also they make excellent driving putters out to a little over 300 feet, it just takes field practice, and with a simple bag there is no reason you can't improve very quickly.

How to improve? practice practice practice, go to the field with just those kc aviars and drive with them, then throw upshots with them, and putt with them.

Another thing is once you choose a main putter it's nice to grab 2-5 back ups so you can putt with more of them before retrieving them and then you have some back ups, it's painful to loose a putter because you throw it more than any other disc in the bag, make sure you have extras!
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Drivers:
Star TL - 172g
Glow Valkyrie - 172g
Champion TeeBird - 175g

Midranges:
ProD Buzzz - 170g
ESP Meteor - 175g

Putters:
Champion Aviar - 175g
KC Pro Aviar - 175g

This is much simpler IMO, also the TL and Valk might or might not overlap for your distance im not really sure you need both. You could use something overstable and slower than your force. The talon is a great disc but it isnt being produced anymore so id recommend what mickas recommended firebird, predator, or a trident or mebe a whippet. I wouldnt recomend a xxx for you if your only throwing 325ish, i honestly dont think youd have a use for it although it fills a similar role, its less workable.

You may not even really need your meteor depending on how beat your D Buzz is. If new tho its prolly pretty straight. The stingray and the meteor overlap a bit, meteor is much faster but at 325 max D they arent going to be wildly different for you and id normally suggest the stingray over the meteor, but you should throw both and see which one does the job best.

Putters:
I dont see the need for a Challenger, pig, blowfly and 2 aviars, i listed both aviars, but you could do fine with any of these combos

challenger, pig
kc aviar, pig
aviar, aviar
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Alex714 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Drivers:
Z Discraft Force - 173g (Will stay in bag - Forehands, Short skips, Scoobies...)
Star Wraith - 168g
CE Valkyrie - 175g (Annies, HyzerFlips, Tunnelshots)
CE TeeBird - 175g (Placement drives)
CE Beast - 168g
CE Monarch - 172g (Tunnelshots, Late Annies)
X Cyclone - 172g

Midranges:
Z Buzzz - 173g (Stable/overstable mid)
D Buzzz - 170g (stable mid)
ESP Meteor/Star Stingray - 175g/180g (Floating Annies, very straight hyzerflips)

Putters:
KC Aviar/CE Aviar/Yeti-Pro Aviar - 175g/175g/167g
X Soft Challenger - 173g
Pro Pig - 175g

Don’t know what to do with these putters yet. I use the Challenger for soft annie puts, the pig for high wind situations, and the aviars as my go-to putter. I’m going to drop either the KC or CE aviar, and throw two aviars. If the yeti is going to be my go - to putter, which other aviar should I use? Should i stick to the bead, and drop the CE, or go beadless?
Alex714
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Stingray

Postby mickas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:14 pm

I assume you mean champion by CE, CE refers to a specific plastic that was run roughly from 2001-2003 that was very grippy and nearly indestructible, they cost a pretty penny.

Generally speaking beaded putters are better for driving (generally, I drive with magnets which don't have beads), other than that your bag looks a lot more solid.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion