discraft xl

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

discraft xl

Postby speedcraz-3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I love the xl, for long controll drives and s shots, holds alot of lines and is very controllable anyone else got one in the bag?
speedcraz-3
Noob

Favorite Disc: nuke

Re: discraft xl

Postby colombo117 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 pm

I threw an X-XL for a while. They are nice discs, but depending on the plastic, they can fly very differently.

They can be powered down and thrown very straight, or hyzer-flipped for shots over 350. You could cover a lot of shots with the XL in various plastics. Super glidey (not a word), the X plastic is.

I am on a Leopard kick, so the XL is on the shelf.

I will add, that if I threw an all Discraft bag, I would carry a lot of these.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Wordgie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I have one. Came close to ditching it, but worked on some technique issues and it's back in. I lost my Sidewinder (that I found), so the XL is my new forehand disc.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby money 21 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:37 pm

the xl isa great fairway. if i didnt throw the xs i would throw the xl.
Last edited by money 21 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jsw » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I have a "Limited Edition first run" XL in "Elite Pro" plastic.

Its used but in great condition. Might throw one in the bag and see how it flies. Are these discs sought after at all?
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Wyno » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm

XL is the only disc that's held it's place in my bag since I got hooked on DG. My first was a Pro D, then a heap of Elite X with some Z seasoning. The Z's are more stable overall and quite a bit more LSS - like LSS 0 for X and LSS +1,5 for Z - and I use the X's the most by far.

Nowadays, i use it along PD's and Pred's in these slots:
  • If I need a straight drive and placement is more important than max d, and there's little to no head-/cross-wind.
  • If I'm in the fairway and I can't use/don't need max oomph.
  • If I need a high/long turnover that won't come back (this slot is a toss-up wit a beat P-PD though).
  • Tailwind.

Still love it enough to never really commit to testing out alternatives. I guess JLS or River would be nice to try, but I haven't really seen any convincing arguments for doing so.
I've used Valks, Wildcats, TD's for the understable max distance-slot where I find the XL a bit too slow, but beat P-PD's cover this now.

I'm still having fun testing faster stuff that might take over this slot as well, so far I'm not consistent enough with faster stuff though, probably for the same reason that the XL has been a safe choice for a lot of shots so far: I find it's not that touchy when it comes to nose angles. You have to work an X-XL to get much fade.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby RS39 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:54 am

Jsw wrote:I have a "Limited Edition first run" XL in "Elite Pro" plastic.

Its used but in great condition. Might throw one in the bag and see how it flies. Are these discs sought after at all?

Don't trash/lose it ;)
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 am

hey spedcraz-3 can you maybe put a little more effort into the OPs of your threads? expand on your love of the XL. Tell us what makes the XL better than a leopard or other discs of the same type. What weights and plastics are your XLs? You get the idea. anything more than one run on sentence. Help raise the level of discourse on the forum.

thanks bro.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby rehder » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 pm

At one point, I was struggling with throwing high nose down shots. Blake suggested I get a 150g D line XL. I got one, and it helped a lot, on two aspects. one was finding out how to throw nose down the other was eliminating OAT.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Was it the orange flex ones that were exceptional in a lot of folks opinion?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby keltik » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I think I have at least one XL in almost every plastic. I have a couple of First Run Elite Pros as well as regular EPs. I have X, Z, ESP and FLX. I've yet to try a D (mainly because D has been so flimsy lately). I can say that I've yet to see a disc vary so wildly across plastics. The X and old EPs behave similarly, flippy yet controllable. The Z and FLX are like short Avengers slight high speed turn and respectable fade. The ESP is like a TL. Beat up an X and you have a really good roller. The X is an awesome hyzer flip disc off the shelf and after a couple of tree whacks it is a controllable turnover disc. All of them take a good bit of height to break 370. You can definitely cover a wide range of shots with the XL. I've recently found the Z XS. It flies on a really tight s curve and I can hit 375 with a 70% throw and on a lower line.

I still really like the XL. It's very versatile and controllable. I'm reworking my game and sometimes I forget that it's okay to throw a driver on holes under 300'. The XL is a fantastic disc and is an excellent first driver for anyone. It's a disc that can change and grow with your game.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby money 21 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 pm

i think the speed 6-8 disc get ignored way to much. learning a mold in this speed range and your game will improve. The xl is a great option because it come in so many plastics.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby speedcraz-3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:46 pm

well i carry an elite z and an x xl, its not as flippy as a leopard but at the same time it can hold an anny line all the way, i got both mine in 172 whuch i find is a really nice weight for a fairway driver, im just now trying out an xs and its great too but i still like my xl better because its more reliable for me, theyre both great drivers that can be powered down alot without breaking hold of lines.
speedcraz-3
Noob

Favorite Disc: nuke

Postby sheepforwheat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 am

had a FLX XL. hated it. kept shooting upward all the time.
sheepforwheat
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

sheepforwheat wrote:had a FLX XL. hated it. kept shooting upward all the time.
Ummm yeah, I'm pretty sure that isn't the disc's fault...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment