150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby dehaas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm

haha there's an old dude that plays in my league that swears all discs are women because they never do what you tell them to. cracks me up every time he says it.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Spinthrift » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Dag wrote:Now if I could just get the damn thing to listen.

True fact: Most discs are born deaf. Those that aren't don't listen.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Monocacy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Dag wrote:I have no problem telling the disc what I want it to do, at times rather loudly. Now if I could just get the damn thing to listen.

Played in my first real tournament last fall and I was yelling at my discs as usual. Seemed to be working – I had quite a few drives that squeezed through disc-sized openings to land in the general vicinity of the fairway. At some point I noticed that a) my playing partners were pretty serious, and b) no one else was yelling at their discs, so I stopped.

A few holes later I had one of those almost-perfect drives that barely clips a tree before careening miles in the wrong direction. As I was heading deep into the forest to seek my disc, I heard one of the guys in my group deadpan, “Shoulda yelled at it.”

To keep this on-topic, tourney swag included a 150 Star Valk, which re-kindled my love of 150 discs.

Even more on topic, I am testing the Opto Diamond and M Polaris LS for the stable / understable fairway slot in my 150 bag. If the M PLS wins out I might try a 150 S PLS for more stability, but they seem to be few and far between. I hate to get used to a disc and then not be able to find back-ups, so that may shade the decision towards the Diamond.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Dookville » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Anyone sidearming with 150's discs. I have a 153g flat top gummy Teebird that I've been using with some success, but it ain't smooth off the fingers by any means. I would like to find something really overstable in the 150's that is smooth out of the hand. I've heard that Boss's at the low weights are ridiculously overstable.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Dookville wrote:Anyone sidearming with 150's discs. I have a 153g flat top gummy Teebird that I've been using with some success, but it ain't smooth off the fingers by any means. I would like to find something really overstable in the 150's that is smooth out of the hand. I've heard that Boss's at the low weights are ridiculously overstable.

If you can find one they made a flat gummy 150 11x eagle-x. Most overstable 150 I have seen. Smooth forehand disc for me when I play around with it.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Spinthrift » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:56 am

In the 150 class I forehand everything from beat Sidewinders and seasoned Valks to Teebirds, Firebirds and Flicks. If you want overstable the Z and ESP Flicks are good and the Firebird is the reliable ol' standby. There's not a lot of variety available in overstable 150s. While it's more true-stable, I have been particularly impressed lately with the 150 S-PDs.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Joz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:37 pm

If you want something stupid overstable, try the 150 champ orcs offered on herodiscusa. They are ridiculous. I know you're probably thinking - Huh? Orc? But I bought this one - http://www.herodiscusa.com/japan-open-c ... orc-1.html - last year to use in my buddies' 150 class shindig and it ended up being the most overstable disc in my bag. That's comparing it to my 155-159 Star Destroyers too.

Otherwise, I was pleased with several 1st Run S-PDs. I don't think they were as reliable in headwind as my 150 champ firebird, but they were very predictable. Oh, and DX Xcals were pretty decent too.
Joz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Another nod for the early 150 S PD it is beefy to the point of me not being able to throw it without a good fade at full power. It's been 8-9 months since i last threw it and then by best throws went something like 380'. At the same time i s-curved DGR champy Star PD 150 that is way less fading to 410' IIRC without wind as the best result. That disc is difficult to control for max D as the margin of error is small and few degrees of error in height and anny angle result in large distance variations. At the right height and little enough of anny to flex out it glides well and goes fast and flexes and fades quite late. I would imagine that the average s-curve D for the early SPD is better with less variation and less max D thanks to the earlier fade and the ability to pull out of a steeper anny. Neither fares in stiff headwinds but they are ok for a fair bit of wind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mickas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 pm

So I'm not really looking to jump into the 150 class boat but I was wondering if carrying a 150 version of your main putter (magnet in my case) would work for upshots/running at long putts?

I heard in some thread that someone thought nikko carried like a 130 gram wizard for running at putts outside his jump putting range or something...
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 am

I haven't thrown light Magnets but going too light will make the disc fade earlier. 150 Wizard works so a Magnet may or may not be too understable. But APX is like a lighter Magnet except with less fade.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dookville » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 am

I putt with Magnets at 163gs thru 175gms. The lighter they are the better they float for distance. The are still a neutral stabilty putter at any weght, they just get there a little faster in lighter weights. I have 150gm classic Aviar as well, to hard to keep an Aviar smooth coming out of the hand at that weight.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

funny you should mention that because I just added a 163 magnet to the bag (also bought a 150 one but I need to work with it more), the 163 has been great for running at putts in the 80-150 foot range and for any kind of out of trouble shot, the problem is it needs to beat up faster, it still fades a little too much for my liking.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Spike » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 am

What could lighter weight drivers (perhaps 150-class) do for me?

With somewhere around 85% power I usually throw 350’ with a full weight Teebird and slightly farther, say 380’, with full weight Bosses, Flows, Nukes, DD2s, etc, etc (just different flight paths). I rarely throw with more than 90% power with full-weight discs because they usually slip out of the grip too soon (I use a rather common type of power grip, so I don’t think a change of grip would do much good). I think I just got weak fingers. I get the best combo of distance and precision when throwing about 80%. I have only tried 150-discs that are on the understable side, like Leopard, XL, Dragon, Diamond, but these get too flippy. Apart from that, I usually pick +170g discs.

Any advice?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby Monocacy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 am

Spike wrote:What could lighter weight drivers (perhaps 150-class) do for me?

With somewhere around 85% power I usually throw 350’ with a full weight Teebird . . . I have only tried 150-discs that are on the understable side, like Leopard, XL, Dragon, Diamond, but these get too flippy. Apart from that, I usually pick +170g discs.

Any advice?

I would suggest trying whatever plastic Teebird you normally throw in a variety of lighter weights – 150s, low-160s, mid-160s. Some folks have trouble switching between heavy and light discs; others don’t. The best way to find out is to try a disc in a few different weights and see how they fly for you.

You will probably find that lighter Teebirds fly farther while maintaining their stable flight. Lighter discs do require a clean throw, though, but a light, stable disc is a beautiful thing. Please do report back!
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Spike » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea, but I may be looking for something slightly faster than a Teebird to start the 150 experience with. But I'm not sure. Esp Avenger, OLF and S PD are available in 150-class, how would they compare?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment