Ask Gateway!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ask Gateway!

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Are you still offering mixed bag sponsorships and what does it take to get sponsored by your company?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:46 am

Went to my local shop last night to peruse the stock ... Utopia right here at home in Norwalk, CT ...

They had a bunch of bottom stamped Wizards in various plastics (SSS to S, Organic, etc). And of course, the SS felt like softs, and the softs felt like mediums, and the organics felt like the softs I bought two months ago.

Anyone got any insight (besides the obvious) as to how this current run stacks up against older runs. Kind of liked the organics, but just wondering if anyone's thrown them.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

i have noticed the band stamped putters seem to be flatter on top. at least in the voodoo and warlock.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Amateur » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:27 am

Craig Smolin wrote:They had a bunch of bottom stamped Wizards in various plastics (SSS to S, Organic, etc). And of course, the SS felt like softs, and the softs felt like mediums, and the organics felt like the softs I bought two months ago.

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate. Could the SS feel like SS's, softs feel like softs, the mediums feel like mediums, and the Organics feel like softs? The firmness you percieve may not be the firmness the manufacturer percives? We all know how cooling effects discs (I hope). So who are YOU to say what the manufacturer meant the firmness of the discs to be. I believe the descriptions are right on and unless you are looking for a totally firm putter you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a firmness that suits you.

Essentially, if you like "soft" wizards get a SS. But if you like a firmer putter than what Gateway marks an SS, get a soft.

This shouldn't be difficult. All Wizards that didn't feel right in my hand at the store stayed there. Be happy you have such a variety locally. Locally I can get any pro D Avenger SS I want from 165 to 170...
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Amateur » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:29 am

Craig Smolin wrote:(besides the obvious)

Missed that, sorry. Same reason I defend them is the same reason I don't throw them.
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Pwingles » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

lol R.I.P. thread
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby beatroc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:18 pm

HELLO!? IS THERE ANYBODY HERE!!??!!
Rattler - Ion
Roc
Cyclone
TD - PD - Firechicken

http://frolfware.com
beatroc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dig It » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:02 am

inb4 consistency jokes connecting plastic runs and Ask Gateway! post intervals.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby swel304 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 am

Roc Lover wrote:lol R.I.P. thread

:lol:

how bout a mold your own putter kit so i can just make them the way I want?
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby LumberJack » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 am

I throw Warlocks and my stash mainly contains the SS variety. The feel I look for is a pretty stiff rim, a medium to thick flight plate with little to no give and a rubbery/tacky finish to them. I use that type for putts and precarious upshots. For drives I have a variety of Medium/S Warlocks. And I like them very similar but with a glossy finish. Lately I've been carrying nothing but Medium Warlocks with the glossy finish. They come out of the hand so much better in the heat.

So, when looking for Gateway putters I typically don't go for the type of plastic, it's more the feel and finish. So that makes it difficult to buy online.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby chainsmoker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 pm

The last stack of wizards I felt up were marked from S all the way to SSS. If I was blindfolded I would have guessed two out of twenty correctly. If you throw SSS you are going to have to wait for the SSSSS to be released.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mshelton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Picked up a SSS a few months to go with my SS....it was between M and S at best.

Fixed the problem by buying an Ion.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Pwingles » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:19 pm

I am of the opinion that the "we make them in an unknown variety of firmness' is for our customers" thing very well could be true, but i still dont get why they just cant label them in some sort of uniform manner. If its an M, label it an M. SS, then SS and so on.

When i hear people gripe about "well i got this SS and it was S" it sounds dumb to me. If you dont know by now that you need to buy them in person so you can feel them up, or you dont know to email whoever youre getting them from online and ask for a specific type, then you deserve a putter unlike the one you want. STOP BUYING THEM BY WHAT THEYRE LABELED.

Is this an issue that they should have? No. Is it easy for the customer to remedy? Yes. Is it worth it? If you are partial to a specific feeling disc and mold that Gateway makes, then yes.

So the question I have for gateway is...

Why are the putters you make not at least labeled as what theyre closest to in firmness? Instead of seemingly randomly. Is there a reasoning to it at all?

PS* MShelton, that wasnt directed at you specifically
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby swel304 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 am

I like SSS for putting. The most recent I've been able to buy felt more like a tacky s to me, but after leaving them in the back seat of my car in this heat for a few days they soften right up and even get a little chalky. Durability is low but they fly great.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 am

Roc Lover wrote:When i hear people gripe about "well i got this SS and it was S" it sounds dumb to me. If you dont know by now that you need to buy them in person so you can feel them up, or you dont know to email whoever youre getting them from online and ask for a specific type, then you deserve a putter unlike the one you want. STOP BUYING THEM BY WHAT THEYRE LABELED.
Yeah well, for some of us that isn't really a possibility... And because of that I switched to the ION.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment