Best course in each state

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Best course in each state

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:14 pm

got to be something up in highbridge for wisconsin.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby mickas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 pm

rusch_bag wrote:got to be something up in highbridge for wisconsin.

don't kid yourself, red arrow 4life

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1732
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Lamp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 pm

mickas wrote:don't kid yourself, red arrow 4life

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1732

Oh god, I was expecting you guys to come on here to speak for wisco. I haven't played enough courses in Wisconsin to speak for what's the best in the state. I've only been in the Milwaukee and Fox Valley regions.

But if I had to speak based off of popularity I'd have to go with what rusch said, I've heard only good things about the courses in Highbride, especially Highbridge Gold.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby mickas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 am

Highbridge Gold, blueberry and granite ridge are all fantastic.

Keep in mind that winter park and sandy point are up there for sure too.

My personal favorite is blueberry hills, that course compresses all of highbridge into one fantastic course in my opinion.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby juju » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Best popular course might be Acorn since it has something for everyone.

Best and Acorn should never be in the same sentence. :lol:

And no, it has nothing for me.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 am

No, you have Leftywood instead nearby...
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Lamp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:45 pm

mickas wrote:Highbridge Gold, blueberry and granite ridge are all fantastic.

Keep in mind that winter park and sandy point are up there for sure too.

My personal favorite is blueberry hills, that course compresses all of highbridge into one fantastic course in my opinion.

Big Brother looks like the biggest pain in the ass, unless you just don't give a damn about how well you're shooting. You have no idea how badly I just want to go on a 10 day road trip and play every amazing course up north, from the 5 at highbridge, winter park, sandy point. Apparently there's a new one up in superior (White Cedar) and Blue Ribbon Pines in Minnesota looks insane!

Why does every good course have to be 4.5 hours from where I live? :cry:
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Just means you're centrally located with great courses in all directions just over 4 hours away...:)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Lamp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Yeah, screw gas prices. Flip City is another one I forgot to mention. Is it really maintained by one guy? If so that's incredible, playing that course is on my bucket list.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:57 pm

I played red arrow today again today and I think I might have to change my vote. Not sure what I was thinking, but a round there reminded me how great it was.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Lamp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Y'all must be crazy.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 am

Ricker112 wrote:In Georgia.....Flyboy Aviation.....end of disscusion

OMG, this course was sick. I had sooooo much fun on it, shot a 95 the first time, then an 88. I was trying to get another tee time, but Kelly is in Africa doing some hunting I think. I guess there are no tee times if he isn't around :(
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:25 am

Sean40474 wrote:Alaska - Kincaid....but we're building a mountain course this June where the longest hole will be over 1000' down hill. I think this will surpass Kincaid. I believe our State Champions in 2011 will be held at Kincaid 2x18 and 2x18 at Hilltop.

There was another course built at the end of May at the Hilltop Ski Area. It is a temp course from middle of May to October(ish) or first snow.

So, if you come to Alaska, play Kincaid Pros (Ams aren't bad) and Hilltop. All others should be secondary...
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Lamp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

Kincaid looks awesome, I just wish there were some in-depth reviews on it. Half the people that reviewed it are just talking about the big moose they saw and the scenery, not how the course played. I guess I should just stop ranting because I doubt I will ever make it out to Alaska...
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby inthedrift » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 pm

I consider Kincaid my home course, so I'll make an attempt at a review - even if you don't think you'll ever make it up here. :D

There are two sets of tees, and at least two pin locations on every hole. The course was finished in time for the Alaska State Champs in July of 2008, so it's still relatively new. It is however starting to wear in nicely and the fairways are fairly well defined. The rough, however, is extremely rough. There are large spruce and cottonwood trees, as well as dense thickets of willow and alder. Devil's Club abounds, and I frequently leave the course with quite a few thorns under my skin. The course is what I would call wooded, although there are many shots that can be aired out a bit, particularly from the pro tees. Many of the holes (actually just about EVERY hole) involve elevation changes - several of these offer some spectacular views of Cook Inlet and distant mountain ranges (McKinley is visible on a clear day). From the am tees there are quite a few deuce opportunities, but I believe the SSA is right around 50. From the pro tees placement becomes quite crucial on many of the longer holes and the course plays much harder. The SSA from the pros is around 60 IIRC. My scores on the pro tees range from my PR of 63 on up to the high 70s, while I generally average 58-59 from the ams, depending on the pin locations (I have been playing 3.5 years and am currently rated right around 900). When Dave Feldberg came and played here for our 2009 States, he established the course record of 54 from the pro tees, which was 1080+.

Many of the holes require you to hit a precise line through the trees, often with a limited ceiling as well due to the canopy. There are also plenty of opportunities to take big risks and be rewarded, or find yourself in deep rough eating a stroke or two just to get back to the fairway. Most holes offer a few different options off the tee, so you'll see players throwing anything from an over the top BH to a thumber to a FH roller and anything in between. This is probably what I like most about this course, as I don't step up to every tee and have an established shot that I always throw. Sometimes I feel more comfortable throwing the FH on pro #4, but other times I like trying to flex a BH under the canopy. Some players will bomb over the top off this same teepad.

What you've heard regarding the scenery and wildlife is all true. I've seen the biggest bull moose I've ever laid eyes on (I've lived in AK most of my life and have had more than my share of wilderness experiences), black and brown bears, porcupines, rabbits, etc.
Wild raspberries are starting ripen in many areas of the course and sometimes I'll take a few minutes just to eat a handful before returning to my round. My only complaint with Kincaid is that many of the local litterbugs that have trashed the more urban courses in town have taken their garbage to the wilds of Kincaid Park with them. If it weren't for several dedicated individuals who routinely play their rounds with a trash bag, the course wouldn't always look like the beautiful gem that it is. Trash cans have no place here as the course is essentially wilderness and we don't need to be creating problems with bears in the area.

Just about everyone I've talked with who has come from out of Alaska and played Kincaid has had nothing but the highest of praise for the course. It will challenge the best of the best, but will also be enjoyed by the newer player as well.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

PreviousNext

Return to Courses