DRG v2 - comments

Comments, Questions, Requests, or Suggestions relating to discgolfreview.com

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DRG v2 - comments

Postby MBStuart » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:51 am

I've been working with Blake to upgrade DiscGolfReview.com to an easier to manage template system. The design is still coming together and not all the links work quite right yet. Also - I have to add links to the store.

Please provide feedback.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/v2/

Thanks,
Mike
MBStuart
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird, Buzzz 2FR

Postby bigs348 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:01 am

I dig it. Nice and simple. A little easier to read.

I think maybe a Forum link near the top might be good, too. I know I was reading the disc review site long before I ever realized there was forum involved.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:15 am

Any reason the links are down the right hand side?
The left is a much more natural place to have them.

Alternatively you could split them and have review links down one side and the rest (articles etc) on the other. That way you could get everything on a single screen, and make the font a little larger?

Generally looks cleaner and more modern though 8)
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:24 am

I like it, but I do agree that the index and stuff should be on the left side. Really throws me off
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby bigs348 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:29 am

I actually like it on the right. That's where my mouse is when I'm scrolling down anyway, so then it's all right there. Maybe it's just me.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:30 am

Oh, and I especially like the new No Image look. Go to any of the discs under Recent posts at the bottom on the right to see what I mean.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Drew » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 am

very sweet new setup, sleek, logical, easy to browse.
http://www.lionsgatekennels.com

Youtube sight for the Ultimate Disc Golf Show. Full website under construction featuring: interviews, tournament videos, instructional videos, discs for sale.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UDGS
Drew
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 am

Yup, it's looking good, a lot more modern looking than the current one. As to the index on the right-hand side, it's a little more intuitive to have it on the left, but its not that big of a deal.

I think one addition that could be cool (and profitable), would be to have a "Buy It" link to the discs that are carried in the DGR store. Maybe make the image of the disc a clickable link to take you to the store and add it to your cart.

I like the way it's looking though! I think just making the dominant colors blue/white is more aesthetic than the blue/grey, and makes the page look cleaner.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jones » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:27 am

It looks great, but I do agree the left side is much more natural. I like it no matter what though.
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby LSUWizard » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:03 pm

I agree with everyone else that the menu bar should be to the left but everything else looks great.
LSUWizard
Noob

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:27 pm

It looks more professional and modern than the current site. I like it a lot. If you changed it to the new version right now I woudln't complain. However, since you asked...

I'm not super fond of the way the main box resizes with the size of the window, at least not in this design. It seems that at some widths it looks great, but at some it's more difficult to read. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather see narrower columns with some sort of background on the space outside the content than blank space inside the outer box...if that makes any sense. I had nothing to do with the layout, but my blog shows what I'm talking about:

http://garublador.blogspot.com

It's probably narrower than would be appropriate for this site, but see how the columns of text are narrow and stay that way and how the amount of background on either side stretches to the window size? I'm not trying to tell you how to design, I'm positive you know more about that than I do, I'm just trying to illustrate my preference.

I also agree with keeping the link bar on the left side, just because that's how a vast majority of programs and people's desktops are set up. It also maybe looks a little weird to me not to have the text justified with the link bar. Perhaps that's what I was getting at above, too. I do like the idea of a slightly bigger font, too. Those little tiny links can be hard to hit sometimes.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:06 pm

I like it. Looks alot cleaner and more professional. The format does get screwed when you resize the window, its probobly really funky for anyone on an older (low res) machine. Menu on the right or left? Doesnt bother me where it is but I can see where it seems more "normal" on the left. The links are a bit small, would be nice if they were easier to read. search engine is a big plus. Needs some promotions for the store, I think the buy it now from dgrstore link on the disc reviews is a good idea.

You are the one who made the "throw physics" logo guy? I think that thing rocks. I think (if you still have everying in layers and able to do it) that it would look really nice if you incorperated it in the dgr logo. If you put the throw guy centered in front of the disc but behind the lettering I think It would make a really cool logo with a recognizeable shape. It could be the logo that people recognize as dgr without even reading it. Either way I would love to have some shirts/discs with that image and some dgr propaganda on it. Two thumbs up!
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby kvanorsdel » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:49 pm

I really like the look of it. I like the menu bar on the left. My only comment is the reviews don't need the redundency of the company name in them for example Wasp - Discraft - Reviews (5) I already had to click on Discraft to get to the reviews having discraft on there again makes it look to cluttered
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Update

Postby MBStuart » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:59 am

I'm fixing up the index page to where I like it and will then address the other pages when we have that looking good.
I switched navigation to left and right and removed redundant company names.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/v2/
Keep the comments coming - much appreciated.
I'll try out a mix of the DGR logo and the thrower guy logo.
Thanks,
Mike
MBStuart
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird, Buzzz 2FR

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:44 am

menu on both sides looks really good.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz