Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby Redisculous » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Smyith, what kinda D do you get outta them? I'm still looking ro a good distance driver.

I wish I could make it to the tourney, I've got some friends going, but I have to work.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Smyith » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Useable max distance 365-395. less controlled and random distance up to about 410-415. I wld suggest the VIP plastic over the TP tho. the TP can get crazy sticky when its hot. so much so i could throw it a good distance without using my thumb.

well, i typically go to sunday leagues at silver lake as well 10am & 2pm.otherwise i dont go up to WI often.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Redisculous wrote:Discspeed, how do you think this disc would fly for someone with a more humble range than yourself, say 360' with speed 9 discs.

The Flow might be better for you, but I don't think you are disqualified from throwing the Sword at all. My friend threw it today, and he has less range than you, and with a flat and nose down release it held straight for him for a good while before fading strongly. That was my 175, which is one of the more stable that I've tested. Out of the ones I've tried, I'd go for an orange colorshift 172. Today I ripped one of these 450' with a slight tailwind...This was the longest drive I've had in a while, and on that shot it turned about -1.5 and faded +3 (the wind was a right to left tail, which accentuated the fade). At your power this disc would probably be something like -.5 hss and +2.5 lss. The fade is late, gliding, and forward. This is definitely the first distance driver this year that has wowed me, though this is somewhat personal as this disc just clicks with my style and the type of release angles I'm most comfortable with.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:58 pm

discspeed wrote:
Redisculous wrote:Discspeed, how do you think this disc would fly for someone with a more humble range than yourself, say 360' with speed 9 discs.

The Flow might be better for you, but I don't think you are disqualified from throwing the Sword at all. My friend threw it today, and he has less range than you, and with a flat and nose down release it held straight for him for a good while before fading strongly. That was my 175, which is one of the more stable that I've tested. Out of the ones I've tried, I'd go for an orange colorshift 172. Today I ripped one of these 450' with a slight tailwind...This was the longest drive I've had in a while, and on that shot it turned about -1.5 and faded +3 (the wind was a right to left tail, which accentuated the fade). At your power this disc would probably be something like -.5 hss and +2.5 lss. The fade is late, gliding, and forward. This is definitely the first distance driver this year that has wowed me, though this is somewhat personal as this disc just clicks with my style and the type of release angles I'm most comfortable with.
What he said. And if the VIP turns out to be too much of disc for you, the Tournament Plastic ones are less stable and will beat in faster.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 am

My Katana's are for sale or trade! I've tried big S-curves with them but they'd turn all over the place so I'd either throw the star katana flat or flip up the pro. I recently retired the pro katana due to its inconsistancy which led me to this thread and then in turn to Clearwater for my 170 Tournament Sword.

I've only thrown the Sword a few times and haven't taken it to the practice field yet but I can already see the potential. The first five times I threw it I consistantly hucked it flat over 400' with tons a late fade. After league doubles a buddy helped me visualize the s-curve flight path of his seasoned Z Nuke which I then I threw a little too high and had it knocked down by some distant trees 420' away. I immediately took a similar line with the Sword. Its still as stiff as a board new but once it breaks in I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to dial in a slightly flatter anny line for some head turning distance. Did I mention that the rim is slightly smaller than the katana and feels 10 times better. I'm 6'4" but who knew that getting a better grip would help and why didn't someone tell me this months ago? :wink:

Big props to sunspot who instead of selling me the PD I inquired about in his B/S/T thread suggested that I continue to improve my form and push my distance with my teebirds... which I will continue to do.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I was a little tired after two rounds and then two and a half hours of field work. I threw the new Sword a dozen times at the very end of my field session on a blazing hot and humid day where I lost six pounds since this morning. I was getting consistant 400' distance throwing both down and back in a slight crosswind. If I threw the 170 GL flat there was a big fade... too high and it stalled out shortening the turn and killing distance. My best throws were just a little anny at less than 30' height where the Sword needed a lot of room to work left to right to fade left (RHBH). At the end of my practice, the wind changed to a 10+mph slightly right to left headwind and my tired a little low anny s-curve form turned and burned to about 275'... time to quit.

Hopefully I can get this thing to straighten out so that I can throw it flat, it'll turn, and glide forward a long way during the fade. Do I need to run over it with the car????
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm

I played flip up doubles this morning and yesterday's field practice certainly helped, we shot 15 down.

I was feeling good after today's round and my form was a lot cleaner when I decided to bomb a few distance throws. My best throw went 430' by throwing just a few degrees anny almost flat with about 25' height for some 30 to 40 foot wide s-turns. :mrgreen: I think I could bring it down to 20' high and still get the same distance.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pwingles » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:26 pm

discspeed wrote:

I was gonna grab one at a tourney this weekend, but i passed on it because i wasnt sure what it flies like, what angles are you throwing for max D/open D? Flatter, slight hyzer, steep hyzer, alight anny? I throw mostly from a slight hyzer for max D and like to use a hyzer flip w/ a some turn in the middle of the flight as opposed to an anny flex type S shot thing, or just a full on hyzer. I have similar range as you do and currently am using a flow in this slot.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby RS39 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:28 am

So the VIP is less grippy, tougher, and looks more like Opto.

But does it have the grip of Opto when wet?

I can play Opto/GL year-round, but need to change other brands to ESP/Star in the coming cool months.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby discspeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:48 am

Roc Lover wrote:
discspeed wrote:

I was gonna grab one at a tourney this weekend, but i passed on it because i wasnt sure what it flies like, what angles are you throwing for max D/open D? Flatter, slight hyzer, steep hyzer, alight anny? I throw mostly from a slight hyzer for max D and like to use a hyzer flip w/ a some turn in the middle of the flight as opposed to an anny flex type S shot thing, or just a full on hyzer. I have similar range as you do and currently am using a flow in this slot.

Sounds like we throw really similarly. When my cobalt blue max weight Sword was new I had to throw it flat to get it to fly straight, but after getting ALL the flash off and perhaps a couple of hard hits it flips up from a bit of hyzer like my more stable Flows do. My black Tournament plastic Sword is a total hyzer flipper like the average Flow, and it bombs for all out D...It's also nice for touchier lower power distance drives as well. The funny thing is my 170 blue tourney Sword was more stable than the optos when I threw it flat backhand...So I figured it could fly flat on my FH shot because I have less power and get a clean release with the Sword. I threw it FH flat on a shot with water on the left and it turned and went way out to sea. So obviously the Sword needs some spin to be stable, and if you give it a more torque based rip like FH or with a full reachback BH it is less stable.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 am

RS39 wrote:So the VIP is less grippy, tougher, and looks more like Opto.

But does it have the grip of Opto when wet?

I can play Opto/GL year-round, but need to change other brands to ESP/Star in the coming cool months.

The VIP is Opto plastic...The exact same blends. We put Westside and Latitude discs together and they are all the same colors/shades/color effects. The new orange Swords are even have some crazy sparkle colorshift effect like some Lat discs have.

The VIP Swords are the super grippy Opto like the Havocs I've felt, rather than my slicker/stiffer pink opto Flows.

I agree that their plastics, along with the new Ions, are the grippiest premiums out there.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:36 am

Anyone want to swordfight?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 am

Jeronimo wrote:Anyone want to swordfight?

I hit the pole on a 430' hole last week with my Sword...Got something better?
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 am

discspeed wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:Anyone want to swordfight?

I hit the pole on a 430' hole last week with my Sword...Got something better?

Do not cross the streams Mike!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby RS39 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:00 pm

I got a Sword from CDGS based on Discspeed's posts, have smoothed 98% of the flashing off the same as my Flows, and hope to throw them later this week.

The early GL and Opto have matching PLHs, but the domy flies a nice, newer SPD path while the flatish one flips like a thrashed PPD and glides less than either.

The Sword seems to have a slightly blunter nose edge than the Flows, so I'm hoping for a bit less nose angle sensitivity. It has most of the good Flow's dome. It also seems to have a slightly sleeker shoulder to the lid, which may support the one speed higher rating. But the wings are pretty identical.

blue VIP Sword on left, pink Opto Flow on right

blue VIP Sword on left, blue GL Flow on right

pink Opto Flow left, blue GL flow right
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment