Index Finger Joint Pain

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Index Finger Joint Pain

Postby gretagun » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm

So lately, I've been having this pain in my 1st and 2nd joints on the index finger of my throwing hand, that I have never experienced before. It's gotten pretty sore during the last 2 throwing sessions, which have been less than an hour due to the heat, :oops: so I'm not overdoing it by any means. It only hurts when I throw backhand and the pain goes away after I'm done throwing for the day. This happens when using either a power grip or Climo grip, and seems to hurt more when throwing narrower discs like mids and putters.

I did change my form recently, which seems to coincide with this pain. I basically have started focusing on keeping the base of my thumb facing the opposite direction as long as I can, and at the very last second I try snapping my wrist so the thumb points directly at my target, as recently mentioned in the SS thread. Since doing this, I feel the most tremendous tugging on my fingers, and I'm getting very good flights out of my discs. I have thought I've felt the weight of the disc before, but this is a much noticeable tug.

I'm just wondering if this is something normal due to changes in my throw, or I have I really messed up my form and created a potential for injury? I'm really happy with my throwing results, but I'm concerned about this. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Re: Index Finger Joint Pain

Postby Jsw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Try manning up, you pussy.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby JR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Congratulations on the form improvement! As you lever the disc more it also stresses the fingers more. I have had pains in my fingers from overdoing it and an hour is certainly enough to overdo things when you first improve the snap and start feeling the weighty tug of the disc. Fingers have tendons not muscles. Tendons heal way slower than muscles. Cold helps. In the long term you want to increase your strength to avoid future pains. Throwing helps but proper working out helps faster but only after the fingers are back up to shape and pain free.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gretagun » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 am

LOL @ Jsw! I figured that was coming :lol:

Thanks JR. It does feel like I'm getting much more leverage, and based on the lines my discs were flying on, I would definitely consider this a form improvement. I figured this could be the reason I was having that pain, but I wanted make sure. I'm also a bassist, and pluck with my right index and middle fingers, so I'm extremely paranoid about casuing injury to my hands and fingers.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Postby eegor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:52 pm

How old are you? I'm 50... I've started to get Osteoarthritis in my fingers, wrist and big toe. Doc told me that there's nothing he can do... just take a NSAID before playing. If you live long enough, all of us will get it.
eegor
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby gretagun » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 am

Well I'm 32, and have been playing this sport for over 10 years, with the last 4 or so being very serious. I have never once experienced this kind of pain in my finger joints. If anything, the only disc golf related finger pain I've experienced before would be caused by friction, such blisters from too many slips. I'm going to kind of monitor it, and take more time off between field sessions so I don't over do it. Still have to get through league tomorrow and hopefully a tourney on Saturday.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury