Coffee thread (any takers?)

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Coffee thread (any takers?)

Postby RustyP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 am

So, I've seen threads for beer and tea (both of which I love...beer moreso than tea :D ), but what about the coffee lovers...any of those out there?

I just recently bought a personal sized french press and I've been trying out different beans each week (one local "premium" grocery store has 20-30 different types on hand...and I work down the street from a place that roasts their own beans in-house).

So far I've had Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Indian "Monsooned" Malabar (dried in the monsoon winds, apparently), New Guinea Estate, Hawaiian Kona, and another African bean that I can't remember the name of. The Kona is my favorite so far - high acidity, but still smooth and earthy - but it's the most expensive of them all.

Anyone else have a certain type of coffee they enjoy? (hey, its worth a shot)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:37 am

Quite honestly, tea has almost replaced coffee for me. When I do drink coffee, it's at work and probably commercially processed.

I was drinking the different Starbucks varietyies at home. THere was a deal with Starbuck's Cofee liquer that came with cofee beans, so I'm stocked up on them.

Somebody on the forum had suggested me getting a french press to make coffee, I jut haven't done it. I do like coffee, just tea more.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:42 am

funny I bought some coffee for work, that was roasted in town, and was told to take it home. Get this because coffee is like beer and you don't change brands! I was actually told this.. and yes it took every bit of energy not to laugh in someone's face!
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:07 pm

French press is the way to go. You can really taste the difference between a french press and paper filters ...the paper soaks up a lot of the oils in the beans, which dulls the flavor.

The only downside to a french press is that you end up with sludge at the bottom of your cup (i dont mind, but some people dont like it) and its not automatic, so you have to deal with the element of human error (too many grounds, too long in the press, etc)

6oz of 200 degree water + 2 tbsp coarse grounds X 4 minutes in the french press = one helluva cup of joe.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby ericdmb » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 pm

I am 29 years old - once, one time I had a single sip of coffee at about age 16 or 17. I thought it was foul and have not had so much a taste since! I don't really plan to either.
maybe someday, but for now, I can do without
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:52 pm

ericdmb wrote:I am 29 years old - once, one time I had a single sip of coffee at about age 16 or 17. I thought it was foul and have not had so much a taste since! I don't really plan to either.
maybe someday, but for now, I can do without

I used to feel the same way. My grandpa drank a lot of coffee when I was growing up, and I'd occasionally take a sip out of curiosity....pretty nasty at first. When I started drinking it on the job (to keep my head off the desk), I'd load it up with sugar and cream, and over time I just came to enjoy the taste...now I grind my own beans, brew it a cup at a time, and drink it black.

Guess it's just an acquired taste :?

btw - nice avatar. I saw Yonder a few months ago here in Dallas...great show!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jerry R » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:59 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Quite honestly, tea has almost replaced coffee for me.

I quit drinking coffee about 5 years ago and don't miss it (not counting the mochas my wife occasionally makes me Sunday mornings). It was really hard on my stomach. I drink alot of tea now-a-days, but I love the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store and in coffee shops.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby Glock23 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm

About the only time I drink coffee anymore is with some Baileys or Cask, any other time I would rather have tea.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:59 pm

The french press would be fine with practice. I have one for tea, and I make pots of tea without thinking.

I slowed down with coffee due to my stomach. And, I do like it black. To me sweetener (sugar), is for when you DON"T like the taste of something. I don't sweeten my tea either.

I had some coffee today at work, not the best though. Also, I love having different brands of beers.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:07 pm

yonder!!! I got to watch them here in Houston with Jay and Des Reading.
yeah foldgers lots of sugar and cream. anything I buy that is not chain store bought, I will drink black. I absolutely can not stand any major brands.
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby calvarycoffee » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:15 pm

<---- coffee buff

try the tanzanian peaberry.

i've done the french press - good until you have to clean it.

i do the perklator (sp?) -no papers, full flavor.

tip: when grinding beans for a perklator, toggle the grinder on/off. if you simply turn on the grinder for X number of seconds, it unevenly grinds the beans. most will fall through or plug the perkalator.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:31 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:tip: when grinding beans for a perklator, toggle the grinder on/off. if you simply turn on the grinder for X number of seconds, it unevenly grinds the beans. most will fall through or plug the perkalator.

I don't use a percalator (sp?), but something I also do with my grinder is I pick it up and shake it while I'm grinding it. That seems to help even things out a bit, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby RustyP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:<---- coffee buff

try the tanzanian peaberry.

i've done the french press - good until you have to clean it.

i do the perklator (sp?) -no papers, full flavor.

tip: when grinding beans for a perklator, toggle the grinder on/off. if you simply turn on the grinder for X number of seconds, it unevenly grinds the beans. most will fall through or plug the perkalator.

Yeah, I saw Tanzanian Peaberry last week at Central Market...sounded pretty tasty from their description. I use a personal sized french press, so I just rinse it off after each use, then occasionally wash it with soap and water. Never tried a perk-o-lator....i'll have to look into that.

Have you ever tried Jamaican Blue Mountain? I've been trying to find some, but no places around here carry it.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm

I love my coffee too, but am generally not too picky as long as its actually "real" coffee (not Folgers, Maxwell House or any crap like that). I generally like the dark roasts--French, Italian, "Northwest Style". And yeah, always drink it black...if the coffee is crap, then add the cream and sugar, but beware, your breath will smell like dog shit. I don't pay attention to the brands much, but I try to buy free trade and/or organic when I can (pretty much comes down to what's on sale)

Anyway, speaking of ways of brewing, anybody seen this thing before? I found it when I was researching the Epic: http://aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm Looks interesting...don't know if I'd buy it, but I'd try it if someone gave it to me.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jerry R » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:23 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:To me sweetener (sugar), is for when you DON"T like the taste of something. I don't sweeten my tea either.

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:add the cream and sugar, but beware, your breath will smell like dog shit.

I don't care for sugar (for the reason Tim outlined above), but I like artificial sweetner in my tea/coffee. I think it enhances the flavor.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.