OB that isnt marked.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is it IN or OUT?

IN
90%
OUT
10%

Total votes : 20

OB that isnt marked.

Postby superq16504 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 am

A friend is competing in AM worlds currently, yesterday he threw a shot into a gravel parking lot, the lot is not marked as OB, the lot is not in the players book as OB, and the lot was not announced as OB, his card had him play provisional shot and there is a two shot difference. the ruling (not by the PDGA) is that it is out, the explanation offered was "when have you ever played a course where a parking lot isn't OB"

Now my iinterpretation is that if it isn't marked or announced how can it be OB, even if the locals always play it OB, this is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

He is waiting to get an official ruling from the PDGA, but if the OB call stands that is a terrible black eye for our sport at the highest level.

What do you think?
superq16504
Noob

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Re: OB that isnt marked.

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:37 pm

TD's call.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby superq16504 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm

TD FAIL for not marking an OB... I would be LIVID, of course I wouldnt have left the scoring table without getting it ruled safe! this is the sort of thing that is going to keep disc golf from making the big jump, you just dont have this scenario in a PGA event!
superq16504
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 pm

yeah I wouldn't have left either without getting it called inbounds since it wasn't announced beforehand but it is the TD's call.
Frank Delicious

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Bummer on the two strokes though.

superq16504 wrote:...this is the sort of thing that is going to keep disc golf from making the big jump...
Laughable at best.

But seriously, when have you played a parking lot as inbounds?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby mobster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 pm

I play courses that have gravel parking lots and roads and those have always been inbounds. It should have been marked with paint/ropes or indicated on the scorecard/book.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Itchy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:27 am

Serious question.

Does the rulebook say any obstacle is OB, or is it always up to signage on the course (Or TD if it's a tourney)? EG; is all water OB, or is it up to course signage? Anything like that?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby zenn0913 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

I thought all parking areas and water were OB unless otherwise declared casual (I.e. casual water for puddles and small streams)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
zenn0913
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Nothing is OB by default in the rules. I'll be interested to see how this comes out. It's not even the TD's call after the fact. It might be ruled OB if there was a general rule in the Player's guide for the event that indicated something like all roads, parking lots and shelters were OB.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Whiz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey guys. This same situation happened on my card to Nils Nordgren (a nicer disc golfer you will never meet). He played it as a provisional even though I personally thought he should just play it as in bounds. There was paint marking the OB on pretty much every hole where there was OB (other than asphalt/sidewalks). The parking lot was dirt and rocks and there was no defined line. He was not touching grass but there was nothing in the players meeting or the caddy book/map that defined it as OB. The course TD later declared it as OB stating that the "parking lot is part of the road." Personally, I found it to be an idiotic call considering there was no defined line nor was there any indication to the players stating that it was OB. Nils lost the strokes for the hole and took a 57 (5) instead of a 55 (3) as a result. The tournament was a lot of fun but there were numerous situations at multiple courses where it was not obvious what was/was not OB.

Paul Priest
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:15 pm

You guys could be talking about the same guy.
Frank Delicious

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:08 pm

What happened in the appeal to the PDGA or did Nils just accept the OB penalty and move on?
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby new013 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:27 pm

superq16504 wrote:TD FAIL for not marking an OB... I would be LIVID, of course I wouldnt have left the scoring table without getting it ruled safe! this is the sort of thing that is going to keep disc golf from making the big jump, you just dont have this scenario in a PGA event!

uh.. yeah it would. how about in the 2010 PGA Championship when Dustin Johnson grounded his club in a "bunker"... and by bunker I mean a small area of sand created by the crowd. it ended up costing him a chance to go in to the playoff and win the damn thing. that happened on one of golf's biggest stages and national TV.

or what about craig stadler at Torrey Pines in '87. he was going to swing from his knees and put a towel down to keep his pants from getting wet, he ended up getting called for building a stance and signing his scorecard incorrectly so he got DQed instead of finishing 2nd.

or what about the series of rules violations that have come from that same asshole who keeps calling in what he sees on television...
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby superq16504 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:56 am

It is the same guy, Nils. And the end result was he finished in 6th place, had the phantom ob call been corrected he would have gotten a chance to play in the finals and a chance to win it all! I hope that the PDGA clarifies the OB rules so at least some positive can come from this! Bottom line should be if its not marked it's not out!
superq16504
Noob

Postby Apothecary » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 am

Frank Delicious wrote:TD's call.

td made a bad call and the pdga can (and should) override it. unmarked obs...what a clusterfuck.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Next

Return to Rules Discussion