Has the Teebird been left behind?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 pm

My local shop has a hefty selection of Discraft that I have been working with for about a year now. I am about to revisit a couple of Innova molds and was wondering if any of you have kept the Teebird in light of the PD becoming so popular? I always gravitated toward the star Teebird and the newer ones my local shop has all seem to have a bit more dome than I recall them having...Anyone throwing these? Why the bird over the PD?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby himynameismatt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:53 pm

No. Teebird is still a great straight flyer that's pretty good into the wind. However the PD combines the straight glidey flight of a TB, but can also shape lines like an Eagle. You could probably carry both in the bag if you don't like powering down a PD. However I have the same problem with TB's that I do Rocs. The really great ones cost a pretty penny.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Peot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:01 pm

himynameismatt wrote:However I have the same problem with TB's that I do Rocs. The really great ones cost a pretty penny.

DX Teebirds and DX Rocs are like $8
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby mshelton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 pm

True TBs (not TLs) seem like one of the rare discs that Innova didn't f#$k with the mold, unlike the 1437 different Roc varieties, random bottom and core mold roulette (Destroyers, ELs, Pro Starfire, etc...). I've had CE Teebirds, KC Teebirds and now Star Teebirds and they honestly all seem the same to me, granted the plastic in the older ones does feel better but the disc is the same in my opinion.

Maybe they feared someone burning down the factory if they screwed with it, who knows.

Regardless, it's still a great disc, been relegated to a fairway driver now but it's one disc that seems every player could find a use for.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I went back to teebirds and am happy i did. They are very consistent in all plastics.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby beatroc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

They are a great disc and I've thrown them for years...however I have started using PDs in place of them.
Rattler - Ion
Roc
Cyclone
TD - PD - Firechicken

http://frolfware.com
beatroc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby new013 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:53 pm

this forum is a forum of mixed messages. on one hand you have the disc down crowd and the other you have the screw the tbird get a PD crowd. and many times these crowds are same, strange times we live in
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby linkinparkervii » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:59 pm

mshelton wrote:True TBs (not TLs) seem like one of the rare discs that Innova didn't f#$k with the mold

Teebird +?
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby mshelton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 pm

To their defense (never thought I would do this) they did distinguish it as being different, albeit in it, it is marked as such.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm

I've thrown Star and Echo Star Teebirds for 2 or more years now and they have been very consistent for me plastic wise. I use flatter 175g Stars along with 175g Echo Stars (which are usually a little domey) and cycle them on through the bag. Once they're worn in they hold a nice sweet spot for a looong time. One of my most thrown discs still to this day.....
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:28 pm

new013 wrote:this forum is a forum of mixed messages. on one hand you have the disc down crowd and the other you have the screw the tbird get a PD crowd. and many times these crowds are same, strange times we live in

It is up to you to find the message that suits your needs.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Mixed Bag Madness wrote:I've thrown Star and Echo Star Teebirds for 2 or more years now and they have been very consistent for me plastic wise. I use flatter 175g Stars along with 175g Echo Stars (which are usually a little domey) and cycle them on through the bag. Once they're worn in they hold a nice sweet spot for a looong time. One of my most thrown discs still to this day.....

That's were it is at.)
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby new013 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 pm

colombo117 wrote:
new013 wrote:this forum is a forum of mixed messages. on one hand you have the disc down crowd and the other you have the screw the tbird get a PD crowd. and many times these crowds are same, strange times we live in

It is up to you to find the message that suits your needs.

apparently you missed my "the difference between knowledge and wisdom" rant on dgcr.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Memphis, I've only been playing since last October but a big bear of a guy, Keith J... you might know him, told me when I first started coming out to Shelby Forest to get a Teebird. I took his advise and got a new run DX 170 but it didn't get much play until a few months ago as my katana got all the distance work, noob :oops: . The softer, domeier new run didn't take long for it to lose its fade and its now my hyzer flip and turnover to right bird out to 360' disc. sunspot conviced me to work on pushing my tbird distance a few weeks ago when I tried to buy one of his used PDs in his B/S/T thread and I'm glad he did.

Since then I've had several field work days, and my distance/form has improved. Here's what's in my bag with stablity least to most:

new run soft domey DX 170 6/10- flipper to 360'
old school stiffer bar stamp DX 175 8/10- 375' at less than 15' height and flies dead straight no fade (bought instead of sunspot's PD for $10 + $4 shipping)
old school stiffer but brand new 2000 tourney DX EAGLE 174 9.5/10- just got this one yesterday and threw it 10 times today; same stiff plastic and will need some anny and more practice for D; thrown flat it flies straight no turn yet with a nice fade 350' ($9 + free ship);
11X 175 7/10- 375' on distance S-lines; big fade thrown flat; flicks great at the Forest (knocked my 12X out of the bag)
11x kc pro 175 7.5/10- 375' on distance bigger fade than regular 11x above; will most likely be going farther if I ever get the courage to throw it higher.

I just got in an old school stiff ching teebird 8/10 $8 delivered today that looks better than my bar stamp DX. Who needs this new run yet???

I've got a well seasoned 2007 Surge that'll go straight 400' with little fade but big D S-curves are not possible without said fade. What's a PD going to do for me? I mean what am I not going to be able to cover at the courses around Memphis?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby chickenonabun » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 pm

I've been tempted to try PD's, but I dont think they'd fit that well as i'd rather have true fairway drivers rather than fairway-distance tweener discs. All the inconsistancies with them also don't encourage me very much, i think I'll just stick with my Eagles and occasional teebird attempts for now.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Next

Return to Equipment