Best course in each state

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Best course in each state

Postby himynameismatt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 am

Milo McIver for Oregon. Home of the Beaver State Fling. For Washington I always hear great things about Seatac. But havent played there myself unfortunately.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Lamp » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 am

Awesome, that's what I was looking for, now go put that up on DGCR, lol. Sounds similar to a course in Northern Wisconsin in terms of difficulty, and of course Feldberg shows up and sets the record, lol. Sounds like the pro tees are significantly harder, which should be the case on all courses, especially ones like Kincaid that were made for a pro event. Pretty nuts how they can set up a course for one event, I've always loved watching the videos of courses getting prepared for big events like worlds. I know there are some out there for the courses in Monterrey and Santa Cruz, they're really adding to the courses and cleaning up a ton, removing a lot of the thick brush and poison ivy. Sounds like the typical woodsy course while in the woods, testing you with almost every shot.

While it might compare to some northern wisco courses, I'm sure the wilderness has everything in Wisconsin beat by a mile. Pretty sweet that you can play a round in some of the most beautiful scenary, and the only time I've seen a bear or a porcupine is probably at the county zoo or something, lol. It's pretty sad that people from the local area trash their own course, no matter how awesome the area looks there are always going to be those douchebags who leave all their crap on the course. I even get annoyed with litterbugs at my home course, and it's nothing special in terms of scenary.

Kincaid sounds like the place to be. Thanks for going out of your way to write up the review, I appreciate it. How long have you been living in Alaska?
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby himynameismatt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 am

JHern wrote:
Mixed Bag Madness wrote:
Milo McIver is wide open, poorly maintained, hard to follow, has locals constantly playing alternate course layouts (with crossing fairways, throwing down on other groups, etc.), and kinda boring if it weren't for the nice setting. Only interesting thing there is the longer distances (long drives, long approaches, and long putts galore). But then again, Oregon is full of nice settings, and I would judge Whistler's Bend to be the best in that category. Only problem with Whistler's Bend is that it is not very challenging...I scored 7 birdies my first round, and I'm usually playing just under par on a typical pro level course.

I've played just about every course in Oregon now, except Dexter...that's next on my list.

There might not be a more inaccurate statement ever said on these forums than that one right there. You're just so terribly wrong. :facepalm: Milo is located in a State Park fairways are mowed WEEKLY by park staff. The baskets are all flawless as well as the big grippy teepads. Each hole has pro and Am pads and nearly 3 alt locations. And its pretty rare to come across groups playing through. There were over 100 golfers out there this weekend and the park is so vast still felt like i was out there alone. As far as hard to navigate yeah it is until you notice the BIG YELLOW ARROWS ON THE BASKETS POINTING YOU WHERE TO GO. Lol...seriously...I'd leave the opinions on out of state courses to the people that play them regularly.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby inthedrift » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Lamp wrote:Awesome, that's what I was looking for, now go put that up on DGCR, lol. Sounds similar to a course in Northern Wisconsin in terms of difficulty, and of course Feldberg shows up and sets the record, lol. Sounds like the pro tees are significantly harder, which should be the case on all courses, especially ones like Kincaid that were made for a pro event. Pretty nuts how they can set up a course for one event, I've always loved watching the videos of courses getting prepared for big events like worlds. I know there are some out there for the courses in Monterrey and Santa Cruz, they're really adding to the courses and cleaning up a ton, removing a lot of the thick brush and poison ivy. Sounds like the typical woodsy course while in the woods, testing you with almost every shot.

While it might compare to some northern wisco courses, I'm sure the wilderness has everything in Wisconsin beat by a mile. Pretty sweet that you can play a round in some of the most beautiful scenary, and the only time I've seen a bear or a porcupine is probably at the county zoo or something, lol. It's pretty sad that people from the local area trash their own course, no matter how awesome the area looks there are always going to be those douchebags who leave all their crap on the course. I even get annoyed with litterbugs at my home course, and it's nothing special in terms of scenary.

Kincaid sounds like the place to be. Thanks for going out of your way to write up the review, I appreciate it. How long have you been living in Alaska?

You're welcome - I've been in Alaska since 1981, although I left for a few years in the mid 90s to go to college. My family moved here when I was 5 so it's definitely home. Anchorage now has two pro level courses, Kincaid and the newest AK course at Hilltop Ski Area. This is a pay to play course on the Anchorage hillside that was put in this summer. It's a ski mountain course so elevation is the name of the game, although there are some nice wooded holes as well. Hole 7 gave me my first putt for deuce on a 500+ ft. hole. I only needed a 73' drop in elevation to get it. :mrgreen:
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Booter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 am

Ill have to go out and see for myself when its open but its looking like selah ranch in tx might be a contender for the best course in the state.pictures have been amazing,lakes and ponds. Signature island hole in the middle of a pond with a bridge to go out to it. I cant wait
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Previous

Return to Courses