Discmania Frenzy Question?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discmania Frenzy Question?

Postby Concistency » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Ok, so I purchased the Discmania Frenzy DD2 P-Line. But for some reason, I'm not getting the hang of it. When I'm driving, it has a massive curve on it to the left. I generally drive pretty well and straight, but I'm struggling with this disc? It has distance, It's just the curve that's getting to me, any suggestions?
Concistency
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orc

Re: Discmania Frenzy Question?

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Are you throwing backhand or forehand? Left hand or right hand? What sort of distance?

The Frenzy isn't really a straight distance disc, it always wants to move sideways, at least a bit.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Concistency » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:56 pm

jubuttib wrote:Are you throwing backhand or forehand? Left hand or right hand? What sort of distance?

The Frenzy isn't really a straight distance disc, it always wants to move sideways, at least a bit.

Backhanded throw, right handed throw, I'm not even sure how to give you an accurate distance, I was just throwing constantly in a field. It just didn't have a straight line one bit.
Concistency
Noob

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Concistency wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Are you throwing backhand or forehand? Left hand or right hand? What sort of distance?

Backhanded throw, right handed throw, I'm not even sure how to give you an accurate distance, I was just throwing constantly in a field. It just didn't have a straight line one bit.

That most likely means you don't have enough power to get the disc to it's intended flight. You should be pushing 400' before it will work for you.

It could be nose-up issues as well, but more than likely it's too fast of a disc for you currently.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby beatroc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 pm

What are you used to throwing?
Rattler - Ion
Roc
Cyclone
TD - PD - Firechicken

http://frolfware.com
beatroc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Concistency » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

beatroc wrote:What are you used to throwing?

I've been throwing the Innova Orc Driver. I do really good with it, straight flight, very far distance.
Concistency
Noob

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Concistency wrote:

I've been throwing the Innova Orc Driver. I do really good with it, straight flight, very far distance.

I'd stick with the Orc for a while then. When you start turning it over to the right from a clean, flat release, come back and try the DD2 again.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:28 pm

So fading all the way with a backhand throw. Sounds like you're just not getting it flying fast enough. The P-DD2 isn't especially stable for a speed 13 disc, but it still requires somewhere around 370-380' power to fly somewhat properly.

Beating one in is an option. P-DD2s beat in to quite flippy, and when there they can be devastatingly long, if somewhat hard to control. Still, you should be able to throw at least 350' before the disc will fly even remotely how it's supposed to.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Concistency » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 pm

MDP wrote:
Concistency wrote:

I'd stick with the Orc for a while then. When you start turning it over to the right from a clean, flat release, come back and try the DD2 again.

I will definately continue using the Orc. But while I'm here (I'm getting great responses), I have another disc coming (the ESP Nuke), how difficult is it to throw compared to the Orc?
Concistency
Noob

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Concistency wrote:I have another disc coming (the ESP Nuke), how difficult is it to throw compared to the Orc?

It'll need more power than that P-DD2. That is a better comparison.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Concistency wrote:I will definately continue using the Orc. But while I'm here (I'm getting great responses), I have another disc coming (the ESP Nuke), how difficult is it to throw compared to the Orc?

I haven't thrown a Nuke very much, but from my experience it has a similar power requirement as the DD2. Hopefully someone with more experience with it can help.

For reference, Orc is a speed 10 disc, while the DD2 is a speed 13. Nuke is made by Discraft so they don't rate the discs the same way, but it's probably a speed 13 as well.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby Concistency » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm

MDP wrote:
Concistency wrote:I will definately continue using the Orc. But while I'm here (I'm getting great responses), I have another disc coming (the ESP Nuke), how difficult is it to throw compared to the Orc?

I haven't thrown a Nuke very much, but from my experience it has a similar power requirement as the DD2. Hopefully someone with more experience with it can help.

For reference, Orc is a speed 10 disc, while the DD2 is a speed 13. Nuke is made by Discraft so they don't rate the discs the same way, but it's probably a speed 13 as well.

Yeah, I mean I really don't think the speed is the problem, maybe the frenzy just isn't for me, I don't know, but I'll see what happens when I throw the Nuke.
Concistency
Noob

Postby weedjj » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 am

The DD2 and Nuke are both stable high speed drivers that require a pretty big arm to throw them correctly without screwing with your form to get the flights you want. If you arent throwing 380-400 feet with your orc, then you dont have the arm to throw those bigger discs correctly yet. The wider rims on those faster discs make it a little more difficult to snap, so unless you are getting really good snap now (which would give you the 380-400 feet) then you would be better off sticking with the orc if you throw it well.

Regardless of what almost everybody you come across on the course think, ultra fast drivers arent that great and can seriously stunt your growth as a disc golf player. Good players cant push Teebirds out to 380-400 feet and they are an even slower disc than your orc. It's generally better in the long run to stick to slower discs like teebirds, orcs, beasts, etc until you can push them out to 400.
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Postby JR » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:09 am

MDP wrote:

They are the longest two discs on the market and DD2 needs breaking in to become as long and low anny holding as the Z Nuke.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Concistency » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:18 pm

weedjj wrote:The DD2 and Nuke are both stable high speed drivers that require a pretty big arm to throw them correctly without screwing with your form to get the flights you want. If you arent throwing 380-400 feet with your orc, then you dont have the arm to throw those bigger discs correctly yet. The wider rims on those faster discs make it a little more difficult to snap, so unless you are getting really good snap now (which would give you the 380-400 feet) then you would be better off sticking with the orc if you throw it well.

Regardless of what almost everybody you come across on the course think, ultra fast drivers arent that great and can seriously stunt your growth as a disc golf player. Good players cant push Teebirds out to 380-400 feet and they are an even slower disc than your orc. It's generally better in the long run to stick to slower discs like teebirds, orcs, beasts, etc until you can push them out to 400.

I get the Orc to about 350 feet. I got my nuke, I'll go see how well I throw it tomorrow. I practiced with the Frenzy, I did get some better results as the flight path.
Concistency
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment