Another video for help. All is appreciated.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Another video for help. All is appreciated.

Postby SouthernGolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj02U3xJ ... ata_player

2nd vid. This throw went about 325. Had good release angle, ended up hyzerflipping but as u can see the steps are still weird. It's Not continuous. I look like I just step for the motion not for the momentum.

I started thinking and I might have come to an idea why it looks so damn off. After my pull back I plant my right foot. THEN I start to open my hips from closed to neutral.

Are u supposed to rotate from closed to neutral WHILE your planting that foot? So that when ur foot plants u start the acceleration?
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Re: Another video for help. All is appreciated.

Postby JR » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 am

You plant the right leg pointing close to the target. That is why you can't reach back far. You can't turn the shoulders far enough away from the target to generate all the power for a maximum distance throw. This form is better for approaches. Things will change and it is entirely possible that timings will change, weak spots will have some body parts tilting into off positions etc. That is why you should practice those and make a new video so that you can see possible problems. Or outsource that to us :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SouthernGolf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 am

JR wrote:You plant the right leg pointing close to the target. That is why you can't reach back far. You can't turn the shoulders far enough away from the target to generate all the power for a maximum distance throw. This form is better for approaches. Things will change and it is entirely possible that timings will change, weak spots will have some body parts tilting into off positions etc. That is why you should practice those and make a new video so that you can see possible problems. Or outsource that to us :-)

You did nail a couple of my issues I don't mention but what do u mean I'm antimg my leg to close to the target?
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Postby ken3592 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 am

I'm also trying to change my form a little for some extra D, and I came across a video that seems to be helping me. It seems like you might not be turning your hips BACKWARD enough, which is what the previous poster is talking about, because you plant your foot almost pointing towards the target, when it should be pretty much perpendicular to the target, and then pivot around as you pull through. Also, especially when hyzer flipping, it helps to sort of lean OVER the disc slightly as you throw it, as this gets more power out of your arm and shoulder. As for the footwork, try being quicker and lighter, try getting on your toes a little bit.

Check out this video, as it points out and corrects issues with grip, hip angle, footwork, and upper body angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q&feature=related

The key spots you might want to watch are at 3:21-5:10, 6:10-8:50, 9:20-11:50

There are also plenty of slo-mo videos of pro drives on there that you can check out, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24orfZtmep4

Hope you find something in here that helps.
ken3592
Noob

Postby DsmDisc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 pm

I agree with what the others have said. While you are extending your arm back nicely, your shoulders are not getting any turn at all. This basically means you are going to strong arm everything whether you like it or not.

In your house or yard or wherever, just take a slow fake walkup with an X-step. Make sure you plant your foot about 90 degrees away from your target (or even more). Then turn your hips to face directly away from your target. Then do your reachback, it should cause your shoulders to turn to line up with your hips. This is the position you should be in before you start the pull through.

From there things get a bit tough to follow because it happens so fast, but the idea is to rotate your shoulders to be pointing at the target. At that point, your disc should be in your chest, as close to the right pec as possible. At that point, there is a momentary pause of the shoulder rotation, this will cause the elbow to release and the arm to swing out. Then your basically let it rip. The opening of your hips will rotate the rest of your core, and all that power will be transferred into your wipping arm and eventually the wrist and disc.

Like I said, that stuff all happens very fast, so don't try to consciously do any of that last paragraph. For now, focus on getting your hips closed and shoulders perpendicular to your target line during your reach-back.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Postby JR » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 am

SouthernGolf wrote:
JR wrote:You plant the right leg pointing close to the target. That is why you can't reach back far. You can't turn the shoulders far enough away from the target to generate all the power for a maximum distance throw. This form is better for approaches. Things will change and it is entirely possible that timings will change, weak spots will have some body parts tilting into off positions etc. That is why you should practice those and make a new video so that you can see possible problems. Or outsource that to us :-)

You did nail a couple of my issues I don't mention but what do u mean I'm antimg my leg to close to the target?

You lost me where did i write that? Could it be the word planting gone horribly wrong? Maybe too long final step? Which leaves you weight back easily leading to nose up high stalling short shots?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique