Coffee thread (any takers?)

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby swel304 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Im not saying Ive never had a decent cup of coffe from a gas station. Just that you dont get a "starbucks quality" cup from you local exxon. Most gas station coffee is terrible.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:24 pm

The three main reasons why gas station and convenience store coffee is bad are:

1. Often times it sits for hours
- They brew it and don't replace it til it's gone. Coffee shouldn't be sold after 25 minutes. Habib and Reyjavik sell theirs even if it was brewed over 6 hours ago.

2. They don't know how or don't care to clean the brewer, pots or carafes.
- When the equipment isn't cleaned at regular intervals it will not brew properly. Clogged lines and sprayheads will produce bitter or weak coffee. Carafes should be cleaned and disinfected also. Mixing today's joe with coffee oils from brews made last week, last month or last year is not a good idea.

3. They don't use a good water source.
- Unfiltered tap water is chock full of chemicals and dissolved solids. You can't take crappy water and make it tastes good by adding coffee grounds or flavored syrup so the lack of quality water is also why many fountain sodas tastes like shite also.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Kopi Luwak

Postby RustyP » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Thread died...so here's something to think about...coffee straight from the bowels of a cat-like mammal :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby roadkill » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Now I've heard it all. $600 per pound for coffee that was previously eaten pooped out and then lightly roasted.

How would you like to write the ad copy for that special blend? "Freshly defecated and roasted for your discriminating taste."
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jamsisjams » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm

It almost sounds like something some guy in an alley would try to sell you.

"Hey, maaaan. I've got that good stuff you been looking for. Fresh out of the cat and everything, maaaaaan."
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:56 pm

If they seriously get $600 per pound for the stuff it sounds like you could make a serious fortune if you raised civets and kept them fed with coffee cherries. Kind of like a cattle ranch or dairy farm but probably way more profitable.

I'm thinking 100 civets each eliminating 2 usable pounds of beans per week = 200lbs x 600 = $120,000 gross revenue per week. You pay a few poop sorting technicians a healthy wage of $10 a week (better than many jobs in some of these countries) and you make a nice profit. Even with all the overhead of land, workers, transportation and processing costs you should still clear $60k per week or $3.1 million a year.

Anyone have some venture capital assets to get me started? You could get in on the ground floor!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Coffee thread (any takers?)

Postby sunspot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am

Bump time

I've tried a lot of different coffee creamers and finally settled on Coffeemates Belgian Chocolate Toffee. It's good.

Are there any other coffee creamers that I should be on the look out for?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm

sunspot wrote:Bump time

I've tried a lot of different coffee creamers and finally settled on Coffeemates Belgian Chocolate Toffee. It's good.

Half and Half....with better coffee
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

I've drank at least one cup of coffee every day for the past 3ish years.

I roll with Zeke's which is locally roasted in small batches. They have a bunch of different beans/blends and everyone I've tried thus far has been good with my favorite probably being the Ethiopian Harrar.

As far as brewing method, I stay true to the Nissan Thermos coffee press as suggested by DGR member chiggins back in the day. It's great because it has all the flavor of a french press yet keeps the coffee warm for a very long time.

I used to drink coffee 100% black , 100% of the time. Now I do enjoy a bit of sugar and half and half with my morning ritual. IF YOU ARE TAKING YOUR COFFEE TO GO....it's hard to beat the Contigo West Loop Mug (16 or 20oz).

Finally, I do like tea from time to time too but generally during the day as I prefer to start the day with coffee. As far as types of tea, I like: green teas, earl gray and loose YERBA MATE made in my coffee press.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby RustyP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:24 pm

This god awful heatwave has completely crapped on my morning routine of hot black coffee enjoyed on the back porch. I'm hooked on iced coffee with cinnamon syrup and a splash of milk until it drops below 100 again...so probably November-ish.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby BLURR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:44 am

I have a cold brew coffee system that I brew up a hottle of each week for my wife and myself. Cold Brew is the way to go as it is about 70% less acidic as a normal hot brew or press. It does however take about 12-15 hours to brew. But you only need 1/4 of a cup of the coffee to go with half a cup of almond milk. As for the coffee I use, I am addicted to the Cafe Pajaro from Trader Joe's. Medium/Dark Roast coffee that is extremely smooth. Even brewed hot it is pretty good.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:37 am

That's one of my favorites, too. Their Cafe Mocha is also pretty good.

I actually got an Aeropress recently and I love it. I find it's much easier to use and clean than a French press and I like the coffee it makes better, too. You can also make pretty good espresso type drinks (lattes, mochas, etc.) at home pretty cheap and fast. It's not exactly espresso that it makes, but it's at least as good as what you get from most coffee houses. You won't get all the oils that you get from a French press using the provided filters, but there is a method for using a different filter material that someone has come up with, but that adds to the complexity and cleaning.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 am

garublador wrote:

That's one of my favorites, too. Their Cafe Mocha is also pretty good.

I actually got an Aeropress recently and I love it. I find it's much easier to use and clean than a French press and I like the coffee it makes better, too. You can also make pretty good espresso type drinks (lattes, mochas, etc.) at home pretty cheap and fast. It's not exactly espresso that it makes, but it's at least as good as what you get from most coffee houses. You won't get all the oils that you get from a French press using the provided filters, but there is a method for using a different filter material that someone has come up with, but that adds to the complexity and cleaning.

I traded a few discs for an Aeropress off of here a few months back and they are pretty solid, with a fine espresso grind on some good beans this thing beats out a lot of cheaper home espresso machines handily
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby RustyP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Tried the cold brew a few times this week. First time I forgot to cover the bottle before sticking it in the fridge and it sat next to some uncovered, really pungent garlic aioli all night and took on some garlicy smells...not so good. Next time I did it right and it was great...thanks for the tip!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:I traded a few discs for an Aeropress off of here a few months back and they are pretty solid, with a fine espresso grind on some good beans this thing beats out a lot of cheaper home espresso machines handily
Heck, I use bulk ground coffee I get from Costco during the week and it's at least as good as what you can get from most chain coffee places, even if your order a caffè Americano rather than just drip coffee. It's definitely better than what I can make at home with any other method other than grinding my own fancy beans and making coffee with the Areopress that way.
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.