Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby fanter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Dookville wrote:
fanter wrote:I did some one-steps today in the field (which is actually a sinkhole), and I pitched almost every throw about 40' ahead and into the ground. What causes this? Am I dropping my leading shoulder, maybe?

In my video critique, Emiller said that I lean a lot into my throw, and that also my "shoulder" plane is off. If this is the case, maybe these one-step throws are a good place to start isolating issues...

Dude...you are throwing 390-400' shots into the wind in your video, that is far beyond the distance that most people throw. If you are wanting to throw farther for distance competitions, or the courses you play are airplane runways, then cool, I hope you find what your are looking for.

Otherwise, stay fit, play often, and make very small changes, one at a time, and don't let advice jack your game up. BE HAPPY, you're a stud.

Thanks, Dook. I don't think improvement stops, though, and since I'm unhappy with my performance as it is, I'm still looking for tips here and there. I don't have local disc golf sages to help me out IRL. Advice has never screwed me up. I don't find it hurtful to try new things, either, and in fact I think it makes me better because it makes me more aware of what works and what doesn't. It's easy to tweak things myself, but sometimes it's better to hear what others have to say also.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby stinlin » Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 am

I just wanted to pop my head in here and say thanks. I consider myself a beginner still, so I'm always scrounging for tips on technique, form, etc. After I ran across this first post video and giving it a week of practice (along with some putting practice), I cut over 10 strokes off my average. I was shooting 76-80 on the local course (par 54 I think), and after working on some things, I shot a 63 yesterday. It felt pretty amazing, haha - my terribad handicap helped me set a new handicap course record (which I feel kind of bad about honestly, lol), but just playing that well overall was a real confidence booster. Many thanks for the tips Beato!
stinlin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby victorb » Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 pm

didn't want to make my own thread for this, but it might be one of the only drives I have that's actually on video.

footage from our Bluebird Championship Series (Regional Tour, qualifies into a state championship)

only shot of mine on the video is at 8:29. Throwing a 172 Goldline Flow in a pretty big tailwind. Angle for drive analysis isn't that good, but it is what it is.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Apothecary » Tue May 31, 2011 4:04 pm

you rotated your shoulder and your wrist over the plane of your throw.

slow down. always finish with your palm down and your arm ending 'up.'
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby victorb » Tue May 31, 2011 4:11 pm

I guess I should have noted that I was trying to turn it from flat. I'm normally a hyzer flip thrower but went closer to flat to try and make sure the disc turned over with the tailwind (it was ~20mph) The disc hadn't even landed when the camera cut away haha

It looks like the plane of the throw is fairly well preserved (I think?) - where my arm ends isn't the angle that the pull through happens on from what I can tell.

It does look like I'm pulling through too far from my chest though.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 am

Anny follow through step should plant well to the right of the line you were running on. If you don't you miss out on body rotation generated power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am

JR wrote:Anny follow through step should plant well to the right of the line you were running on. If you don't you miss out on body rotation generated power.

I wasn't trying to anhyzer, just turn the disc from flat.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mshelton » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm

So I really started working on this and trying to change my throw for the better.

After the first day it seemed to add a whole new form of palsy to an already afflicted form but after a few days I've found moments where the pieces come together and I'm nice and smooth/slow then pop it at the end. The results of these throws hasn't been spectacular as I seem to not quite have it to where I can turn the disk to the right yet (not looking for an anhyzer, just that smooth shallow S) but I am hitting the aim line very well which has been a problem for me in the past being a habitual offender of cranking it off to the right.

Power overall seems to be the same if not a bit reduced but one of the big things I'm noticing is the lack of pain after a round in my right knee and ball/bigtoe area of my right foot. I'm tremendously pleased with this.

One of the bigger things now I'm trying to find is a reference point or two within the throw to let me know everything is going well and to help with timing.

Overall though I'd like to add my thanks to the list of others in this thread.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm

In Beato's video at the beginning of the thread, when he is demonstrating the right pec drill at the beginning of the video, it looks to me like the disc is not on the same plane as his forearm. Is that just for the sake of the drill? is it just nose down angle I am seeing?
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby dehaas » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 pm

i'm just curious as to what kind of distance is expected when doing right pec drills. before i start a round i try to get in 10-20 throws with some wizards solely from the right pec. after i get those in i'll go back and from a stand still pull all the way back and come straight forward to toss the disc another 10-20 times. the more i practice the right pec drill the easy and smoother it becomes, and my distance seems to be improving. i didn't know how far one could toss a putter from that position. i've been mainly practicing this with a putter because i assumed that it would show any signs of poor form compared to a midrange or driver. is it best to start out with a putter, and then build up to using longer discs, or does the disc type matter? for what it's worth my throws felt really good a few days ago, and i was getting wizards from the right pec out towards 150 and out past 200 from a stand still with a full reach back. with a full run up i was getting them out to about 275 and had a few that pushed close to 300.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 pm

When I asked the same question, this is the post I was pointed to.

Blake_T wrote:guys who throw ~350' drives will have stationary D in the 280-310' range.

guys who throw ~450' drives will have stationary D in the 325-360' range.

there's diminishing returns as longer drives require more oomph on em the farther you try and go.
Last edited by NoLifeLeft on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JR » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 am

Stationary throw is longer than the right pec drill. I think people throw quite far from the right pec drill. I don't. If i throw from the left pec i'll gain a lot and even more with a stand still full reach back thus weight shift too. My arms aren't that fast or strong. Aren't some people hitting 300' with the right pec drill?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dehaas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:When I asked the same question, this is the post I was pointed to.

Blake_T wrote:guys who throw ~350' drives will have stationary D in the 280-310' range.

guys who throw ~450' drives will have stationary D in the 325-360' range.

there's diminishing returns as longer drives require more oomph on em the farther you try and go.

That sounds about the case for me. I can get a stand still throw with a driver out near 300 and throw in the 350 range with a run up. I wouldn't be surprised if some top pros could hit 300 from just the right pec with a mid. I know the distance number will vary from person to person and is just really a number, but its about the only way to compare if its clicking to me. I don't want to move on to other parts of my throw without having a good feel for it.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:31 am

Amanda07 wrote:Golfers drive without super-strong arms are actually finding more success throwing under-stable driver. Remember that your main driving force could be controlled remotely. Picking up tips and techniques from great players is one of the best ways to improve your game too hard to play golf in the same group every day resulted in a game flawed. Do not be afraid to put yourself out there. Most golfers drive will be happy to show you a thing or two.

Removed url

Wow Amanda... Nice Bot...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby masterbeato » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for their support on this video. It has turned to be very successful. It was something that was originally meant to be a training video that demonstrated the confusion on this board about the theory and design of the right pec drill at that time. All I wanted was to demonstrate my success on the drill from blakes training he had me go through that made me the throwing machine I am today :p that would hopefully help others add snap to their throws and I have gotten many positive reviews and people coming up to me saying thank you for the video.

I constantly have to remind a lot of people that the drill is not mine in the first place, it is indeed blakes that he made me do to help me "hit it."

I thank everyone on and off of this board (including you creepers as well hehe) and that I appreciate the support, and I am glad this video helped your game.

Good luck to all of you and keep hukin'!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

PreviousNext

Return to Technique