OB that isnt marked.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is it IN or OUT?

IN
90%
OUT
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: OB that isnt marked.

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

If the player didn't contest it during the event to have it be reviewed by the Worlds TD or Tour manager, then the decision is locked down once the event is over. The PDGA doesn't change scores due to disputed penalties after events are over.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smigles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 am

superq16504 wrote:AM worlds.

that is a terrible black eye for our sport at the highest level.

Ahahahaha :)

It's only the AM worlds, it's only a competition for the title of the biggest sandbagger.

What is more worrying is that the same thing could happen at some important tournament. Like the real world championships. But I hope they have competent TD's there.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Smigles wrote:
superq16504 wrote:AM worlds.

that is a terrible black eye for our sport at the highest level.

Ahahahaha :)

It's only the AM worlds, it's only a competition for the title of the biggest sandbagger.

What is more worrying is that the same thing could happen at some important tournament. Like the real world championships. But I hope they have competent TD's there.

WTF? Calling all the players at Am Worlds sandbaggers is pretty messed up. Just because they haven't played for cash doesn't mean they are bagging. This sport is powered by Am players including most tournament models. If you don't care about them move on but they don't deserve to be belittled.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm

whoosh
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby chappyfade » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:If the player didn't contest it during the event to have it be reviewed by the Worlds TD or Tour manager, then the decision is locked down once the event is over. The PDGA doesn't change scores due to disputed penalties after events are over.

Chuck, I was told by Bren Nordgren (Nils' brother and thge older brother that runs LSDiscs) that Nils did appeal the ruling and the PDGA denied his appeal. If it happened exactly as Nils told it, and there weren't any things like the TD or playing guide saying that all roads and parking lots are OB unless otherwise stated (I've heard that this caveat wasn't stated), then Nils got screwed by a bad call. It happens, and it's very unfortunate that it ended up keeping him out of the finals. I would have to hear the PDGA side of the story to make a final judgment, but I know the Nordgrens pretty well, and the fact that Nils even played a provisional at all speaks well of him.

Chap
chappyfade
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cruiser

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I did get the story from Shawn Sinclair, Head Marshal. I agree with their ruling as OB. Too long to write up. Talk to Shawn if you wish to get the story but all officials were 100% in agreement.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mobster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:all officials were 100% in agreement.

"Eh, it's easier to call it OB."
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Apothecary » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 am

fo real. what was their reasoning, Chuck?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Dogma » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Nothing is OB by default in the rules. I'll be interested to see how this comes out.

Chuck Kennedy wrote: I agree with their ruling as OB. Too long to write up.

Chuck, I appreciate the time you normally take to help people understand various PDGA rules. However, this is a very unsatisfactory answer. It does nothing to promote understanding or keep a similar situation from arising in the future.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:02 am

I think this also has to be looked at from the perspective of all of the rest of the competitors that played the course as it was intended. It would seem that if there was only one person out of all of the people competing that didn't realize the parking lot was OB that maybe he should have known. It also makes a difference if knowing the parking lot was OB would have changed his throw. Was the parking lot obviously a parking lot or not? (ie were there cars in it?). It's one thing if someone took the route of purposely throwing into the parking lot not knowing it was OB, especially if it was ill defined and empty of cars. But it's different if the parking lot wasn't in any typical line of play, full of cars, and the shot that landed there was just an awful shot and the player is just trying to avoid the stroke.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Apothecary » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:44 am

i just shot Mr. Sinclair a note. says hell have a response for us on tuesday when he returns home.

wish chuck wasnt being so evasive.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby chappyfade » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:12 pm

It's usually easier for the person involved to explain the situation. Chuck's doing the right thing waiting for Shawn to tell it, as I think Shawn was involved in the decision. And that's also why I said I'd wait for the PDGA view before I made a final judgment on it, and I'd be surprised if Shawn made a bad call on it.

Chap
chappyfade
Noob

Postby Whiz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:20 am

I am sure his reasoning will be the same. All roads were denoted as OB in the caddy book and the lot, while gravel, "counts as part of the road." I still disagree, but I can understand the reasoning.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby chappyfade » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Whiz wrote:I am sure his reasoning will be the same. All roads were denoted as OB in the caddy book and the lot, while gravel, "counts as part of the road." I still disagree, but I can understand the reasoning.

If that's the case, then I can understand the PDGA's call. I'd still like to see a higher level of clarity for OB, especially on a gravel lot where it may be difficult to determine exactly where the lot starts and the fairway ends. A single paint stripe to define the OB was sorely needed here.
chappyfade
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:13 pm

it sounded like the parking lot was about 300 feet from the tee located around 4-5 o'clock on a clock face with the front of the tee facing toward 12. So we're talking major grip lock. Apparently no other holes were in range of this gravel lot where all of the players parked. I suspect we can all think of places on courses where players would instinctively expect it to be OB if a player threw 300 feet behind the tee and may never be explicitly noted in the printed instructions for tournament.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion