13 Throws: Rebuilding

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

13 Throws: Rebuilding

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Trying to rebuild my throw.

Couple of things I noticed from the videos:
1. I never get my weight shifted over my front leg / my left leg isn't doing much to help
2. My reach back looks (and feel weird)

I'm still releasing late a lot. Sometimes my shoulders fly open, but others (#12) it seems like a good throw I'm just facing the wrong direction.

Thoughts?
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: 13 Throws: Rebuilding

Postby Wyno » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah, it's like you start your reachback a bit early and have to keep your arm stretched backwards while going through the x-step.
Look at these guys, notice how they all delay the reachback so the arm don't reach max extension until the plant foot hits the ground.

I'm playing around with my run-up timing myself so that's what I noticed :P
Normally I wouldn't suggest adding "unneccessary" moves to your throw, but I've fiddled a bit with the Feldberg/Nybo et al swinging-the-disc-out-front-before-the-reach back-thingy just to get a feel for the timing, and while it was hard not to feel rushed at first, it got my body more into the throw and it added some speed.
This coming from someone who's tried to keep all extraneous motions out of his form (and I'll probably only use this as an experiment in timing, but it's been fun so far :-)).
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I wonder if that's causing some of the late release problems. I'm rushing my upper body, before the lower part of me is in place...
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

mostly your throw looks nice

one thing I did notice, and it was mentioned above, is the early reachback. On a throw, i believe it was @ 2:10 in the video, your arm is back, ready to pull through, you plant so hard while you arm is still reached back and it bounces your throw and caused a little nose up. Does this happen a lot or not very often?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... It looks like your shoulders rotate consistently throughout your throw. I had nasty release timing issues until I focused on pausing or at least slowing my shoulders at 90 degrees from the target. After focusing on that, my aim got much better and I was getting my distance with less effort expended.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby MDP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am

Roc Lover wrote:mostly your throw looks nice

one thing I did notice, and it was mentioned above, is the early reachback. On a throw, i believe it was @ 2:10 in the video, your arm is back, ready to pull through, you plant so hard while you arm is still reached back and it bounces your throw and caused a little nose up. Does this happen a lot or not very often?

Every once in a while. Late release happens a lot more.

NoLifeLeft wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... It looks like your shoulders rotate consistently throughout your throw. I had nasty release timing issues until I focused on pausing or at least slowing my shoulders at 90 degrees from the target. After focusing on that, my aim got much better and I was getting my distance with less effort expended.

What did you do to work on that? In an earlier thread, Blake and some other people mentioned that. I was hoping just changing my throw from the reach back to the power zone would help, because I haven't been able to isolate it to work on.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:56 am

MDP wrote:
NoLifeLeft wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... It looks like your shoulders rotate consistently throughout your throw. I had nasty release timing issues until I focused on pausing or at least slowing my shoulders at 90 degrees from the target. After focusing on that, my aim got much better and I was getting my distance with less effort expended.

What did you do to work on that? In an earlier thread, Blake and some other people mentioned that. I was hoping just changing my throw from the reach back to the power zone would help, because I haven't been able to isolate it to work on.

I just focused on locking my shoulders on target momentarily and let everything else happen naturally. It was kind of a risk but I guess I had been doing everything else "close enough" previously that my body knew what to do. I had to slow myself down a bit but got a speed return where it mattered (at the very end). Slow and smooth helps facilitate a fast finish.

Stopping my shoulders also helped me get closer to my right pec.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Jewdy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:51 pm

I think your pulls/late releases are from the placement of your last step. I had the same issue, when my last step was too far left(I throw lefty), it would open my hips early. When this happens, even though the pull line is straight in regards to the torso, the disc is actually moving in a banana shape. Just play with the lateral placement of that last step.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby DsmDisc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 pm

The hip/shoulder rotation looks odd to me. You seem to drop the front shoulder during the reachback, and don't really get a good twist in the body. Without slow-mo it's a bit difficult to say that for sure, but that's what it looks like at first glance.

My recommendation is one I've been giving a lot lately: Slow down. When you are moving as fast as you are, that's great if you have good timing and body position. But the flip side is it is very very difficult to correct issues when everything is happening so fast. Speed during the run-up does not equate to more power. Acceleration is the key (and not just for distance), and if your body is going full speed ahead, it's difficult to get your arm to start slow and accelerate into the hit. Take a nice, slow, measured approach, and at the last second (once the disc reaches your right pec or even beyond the body) rip the shit out of that disc.

Once you get that timing down, then you can speed back up to add a little more oomph to the throw. The difference in distance between a slow run-up and a fast one is less than the difference between good acceleration into the hit and no acceleration into the hit.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Postby JR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

The running direction is for an anny and the plant to the right of the running direction is a hyzer. Please align those to make your body move to the same direction from every body part. That will make the arm pull straighter and more repeatable. You accelerate the arm early have you compared a later acceleration to see which goes farther for you? Later acceleration gives a better acceleration. There is a point of diminishing return from moving the acceleration point too late. Which reduces the speed of the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique