American Vs. Sweedish?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

American Vs. Sweedish?

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm

I think that's how I've seen it classified here. I think Blake specified the 2 driving techniques as the Sweedish version that uses leverage and such vs. the American version that's more snap... Then broke down the American version to Full Reach Back and Bent Elbow.

How does someone know which one works better for them? All I really see around here in instructional articles seems to be the American stuff. Where can I learn more about the Sweedish version to see how it works and see if it works better for me? Is there something here on the site that I'm missing?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: American Vs. Sweedish?

Postby zj1002 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:26 pm

sweedish style is more like slapping a hockey stick. well sort of, but it the best image I can give you.

In the end with both forms you need snap in order to throw far. You will end up bending the elbow to some degree and you will need to open the wrist. The most important things(at the snap, with good timing) don't change with either style. You can create more leverage with the Swedish style but you still need to do the things at the right time
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:48 am

Three Swedes in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs

Check out the other videos in the same channel as well for many more goodies. See how low the Swedes pull the disc? You can identify the Swedes by the low pull height. But each of them has a different style and only one of them uses the Skellefteå slap shot type left arm swing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 am

zj1002 wrote:sweedish style is more like slapping a hockey stick. well sort of, but it the best image I can give you.

In the end with both forms you need snap in order to throw far. You will end up bending the elbow to some degree and you will need to open the wrist. The most important things(at the snap, with good timing) don't change with either style. You can create more leverage with the Swedish style but you still need to do the things at the right time

I understand that some things still have to be the same, but I also know if you're struggling to get a concept sometimes coming from a different direction will let things click.

Thanks for the vid JR, i'll check it out
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:56 pm

what zj wrote is pretty much it.

it's not the low pull line that's important, it's the swing plane of the shoulders that gives it a striking difference.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:02 pm

JR wrote:Three Swedes in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs

Check out the other videos in the same channel as well for many more goodies. See how low the Swedes pull the disc? You can identify the Swedes by the low pull height. But each of them has a different style and only one of them uses the Skellefteå slap shot type left arm swing.

dear lord, who is that in the first side by side with avery? looking at his plant leg and hip makes me hurt.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Frank it is the same guy in the first pair with Feldy. Markus Källström.

Blake i was just pointing out the Swedes not talking about form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, Markus does that dead stop and hard whip action there. It seems to work okay as he throws far :P, and has finished 2nd at worlds twice.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby pg043 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:38 pm

the last pairing is probably the best one for seeing the difference (Doss & Lundmark)
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 am

Star Shark wrote:Yeah, Markus does that dead stop and hard whip action there. It seems to work okay as he throws far :P, and has finished 2nd at worlds twice.

It almost seems like this trying to stop his momentum from moving forward like he is leaning back or something. The dude can crush though.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Return to Technique