Mike C's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mike C's bag

Postby Mike C » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:10 am

166 OG proto Wiz - Chains
170 gummy evo Wiz - My entire short range game. Most controllable driver and favorite approach disc
178 S Wiz - Water disc

17? glow Roc - Pretty beat up but still has a nice fade. Planning to buy a new KC Pro and DX, both Rancho, to get a Roc setup going. Going to play a lot of wizard + roc rounds once I'm stocked up.

175 esp Cyclone - Turnovers.
171 1.1 QOLF - Go-to driver, thrown well past 400' with excellent control BH, about 315-350 FH (Still inconsistent, it's getting there).
175 1.2 SOLF - Just got it, should fly more stable than the 1.1, have not thrown.
175 1.2 SOLS - Long-range turnovers and tailwind D I'm assuming. Never thrown one, will field test this weekend most likely. Depending on how much this and the Cyclone overlap for turnover shots the Cyclone might go.
165 Z Pred - Pretty beat but still pretty stable for it's weight and condition. Strong headwind approaches, hard fades BH or FH or used to limit my distance on a shorter drive since OLF's glide out more. Replacing with a heavier one when I get around to buying one.
174 Z Force - Still playing around with it. Could see myself dropping it and just throwing QOLFs or Preds where I throw this, but it's fun for long BH hyzers in the 400-450' ballpark.

Happy with how the Rocs have felt for me, they'll take some getting used to but I see myself using them more than I used my Buzz's. Excited to try the OLS. Need more Preds. Cyclone and Force might get dropped.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Mike C » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Cyclone and Force got dropped. In love with Rocs all over again, don't know why they ever left my bag.

Wiz's / KC Pro and DX Roc / * Eagle / 2 OLF's / 1 OLS

Need to pick up some more Preds, lost my last one in some tall grass somehow, just fucking vanished. Plan to pick up more DX Rocs and definitely grabbing 2-4 dx Eagles, threw the one I was beating in into some water.

Mainly playing with just Wizards and Rocs in my bag for now, working to reach 400' with Rocs consistently (Then putters :P ). When I get some more DX Eagles and Z Preds I'll start playing with drivers again. For now I'm just bringing along an OLF once in a while to work on 420'-450' drives.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 am

It's never ending isn't it?

166 Wizard - Organic proto, putting putter
170 Wizard - Gummy evo, stable drives and approaches
175 Wizard - Beat SS Wizard, dead straight approaches, anyhyzers, turnover drives

180 Kc Roc - Rarely used, most OS Roc
180 KC Roc - Most often used, still pretty new, straighter than other KC
175 DX Roc - slightly worn, glides better and flies straighter than the KC's
178 Glo Roc - Beat, turnovers etc.

171 Teebird - Beat star TB, tailwind D, turnovers etc.
173 Teebird - 11x champ, worn but stable, go to control driver
175 Pred - Z, new, OS utility driver
171 QOLF - 1.1, worn, go to distance driver
175 SOLF - 1.2, new, headwind max d

Gonna compare an OLS, Roadrunner and beat TB together and see what I go with.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pwingles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am

imo a beat TB is the best, between that and a fresh tb you can cover a ton of shots, the problem is, it takes awhile to beat a tb to a reliable understable /turnover type driver, whereas the RR flies like that new. IDK about other OLS's i have a new SOLS and its barely less stable than a wraith and basically as fast, maybe the M plastic is better for this but ive not yet thrown one
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Mike C » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Yeah I tried the OLS out and it's not as understable as I wanted. I think I might try out the RR again for long turnovers and maybe keep a pro leo on board until I beat up a dx TB or two. Depends on how my beat star TB flies, been a long time since I've thrown it.

EDIT: lost the *Tb, not digging the RR too much right now. Gonna toss in a Pro Leo for now and go from there.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cfair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:45 am

I hear the Discmania TD is a very solid turning driver to try out. Also do you think your Rocs compare to your wizards well? As in being like longer wizards?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:16 pm

tempted to say fuck it and go wiz/roc/olf/pred, sick of trying out different molds.

Wizards and rocs compliment each other very nicely. Rocs fade a little harder I'd say but they're very close, both are that real nice mix of glide and predictability.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Mike, you ever throw a JOKERi? Its smaller diameter like a wizard and more stable. Its got a rim thickness about like a roc and my buddy who throws only flat top rocs said he like the way it felt in his hand. The basic gets beats up ugly like a wizard but has great grip, flicks and tomahawks killer, and so far with mine has only lost LSS not HSS. The premium is moderately overstable for me but probably not with your power level... kills headwinds.

I know, I know you just wrote that you're tired of trying out new molds but if you've thrown one I'd like to hear what you thought.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Mike C » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 pm

7ontheline wrote:Mike, you ever throw a JOKERi? Its smaller diameter like a wizard and more stable. Its got a rim thickness about like a roc and my buddy who throws only flat top rocs said he like the way it felt in his hand. The basic gets beats up ugly like a wizard but has great grip, flicks and tomahawks killer, and so far with mine has only lost LSS not HSS. The premium is moderately overstable for me but probably not with your power level... kills headwinds.

I know, I know you just wrote that you're tired of trying out new molds but if you've thrown one I'd like to hear what you thought.

Never tried one but I did use Rhynos for a while, which I hear them frequently compared to. I've been using a 166 organic Wizard right now and it's got great glide but still fades like a Wizard should.

Actually moving the opposite direction stability-wise and trying out some Ions here soon. Had some nice throws with one and it felt good so I'm gonna give them another shot.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I love my Ions. I got a second Ion from Clearwater a couple weeks ago. Its a second run, no texture on bottom, and its 167 soft vs my other 175 medium. Glides great and drops a lot less. GO LIGHT WEIGHT... last round I made a 80 footer and the previous round made a 100' and a 40' from my knee... I'm not that good but the putts are going in. The guy that runs Sunday morning league calls it "that illegal disc".

Mike, I'll sell/trade you my newish textured 175 medium so I can buy another soft lighty float float.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:40 pm

What kinds of wizards you throw? Might have one I could trade you for that Ion.

174g Ion - Textured bottom, straight/hyzerflip/anyhyzer
174g S Ion - Non-texture, newer run, more overstable
174g S Ion - Non-texture, newer run, putts

176 Vector - Slightly OS mid
176 Comet - Stable to slightly understable mid

175g SJLS - Control
174g Z Pred - Beef
169 QOLF - Distance

Feel like I can lock into this setup for a while, it feels really good in every aspect. I have a flippier JLS and overstable JLS I can add if needed, and can double up on whatever, but this is my go-to rig. Only thing I could possibly see being challenged is the Comet by the Fuse, but I'm not in any hurry to compare them with how badass the Comet is and how well it works for me.

Also seeing some more distance since working on starting my pull later.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Mike C wrote:What kinds of wizards you throw? Might have one I could trade you for that Ion.

I'm only bagging one wizard right now. Its a well seasoned black huk lab that is stable straight. I only use it for low ceiling shots when I've only got a small window to hit. I should probably take it out and learn to throw the my soft Ion better or throw my z comet. I played 36 holes today in the woods and never took the wizard out. I've got a black LSDiscs ssss and a grippy black "Nikko peace frog" for backups and they haven't made it to the practice field the last several times.

What I'd like to trade for is an overstable mid. I just pulled my Pain and put in a new sanny roc, never thrown rocs until recently. I need some go left when thrown flat, RHBH. The roc did okay today considering I don't know the disc but I was able to straighten the fade out a bit when I threw really hard... probably my bad form as it preformed well more than not. I'm starting to get pissed and might back off my 11x KC Pro Teebird... that bad boy has some fade.

Regarding trades, perhaps I could back off one of your overstable stalkers for a good fade out. I see you've tried KC Rocs and a few Buzzzes. I had a z buzzz that I took out because it was just stable straight and 20' shorter than my x buzzz. Your glo z buzzz might be overstable enough at my power. Also, I've wanted to try a Pred as I've always used Firebirds. Maybe one of these or a better overstable mid you might suggest to trade for my textured med 175 Ion? Thanks

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zepphead33 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Mike C wrote:What kinds of wizards you throw? Might have one I could trade you for that Ion.

174g Ion - Textured bottom, straight/hyzerflip/anyhyzer
174g S Ion - Non-texture, newer run, more overstable
174g S Ion - Non-texture, newer run, putts

176 Vector - Slightly OS mid
176 Comet - Stable to slightly understable mid

175g SJLS - Control
174g Z Pred - Beef
169 QOLF - Distance

Feel like I can lock into this setup for a while, it feels really good in every aspect. I have a flippier JLS and overstable JLS I can add if needed, and can double up on whatever, but this is my go-to rig. Only thing I could possibly see being challenged is the Comet by the Fuse, but I'm not in any hurry to compare them with how badass the Comet is and how well it works for me.

Also seeing some more distance since working on starting my pull later.

I liked it more when you had 4 Rocs for mid :wink:
Disc Golf (n)- A hidden gem in the world of sports even the gimps with the limps can play.
zepphead33
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Mike C » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 am

Going Axis / Vector now, plus I added a DD (Finally found a distance driver I like!).
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Backhand Max D / everyday course D - Ion 390/360, Axis 410/385, JLS 440/410, OLF 475/440, Quasar 505/475
Forehand Max D / everyday course D - Ion 260/220, Axis 330/275, JLS 350/320, OLF 400/350, DD 410/375

175 S Ion - go to approach and putter driver disc
171 S Ion - Putts, some short approaches I want to sink
164 M Ion - Drives and ups where I want the extra glide, low ceiling putts (e.g. 60' out and can't throw the putt higher than the top of the basket due to branches)

178 GL Fuse - Undecided on this. I can throw it 375' on a straight line, which sucks because I want it to be my turnover mid. Overlaps with my flat Axis...will consider giving it some tree love and seeing if that helps.
178 Glow Axis - Flat, neutral, sexy ass flights.
178 Glow Axis - Slight dome, neutral for 90% of the flight, then a gentle fade out.
179 Glow Vector - Moderately overstable mid. Headwind approaches, short and quick to drop hyzer approaches, control hyzer drives etc.

175 SJLS - Worn, bit of turn, very neutral and controllable. Been playing around with carrying a second JLS or my QJLS misprint but none of them have remained in the bag so far. I like this disc for long anhyzers, straight rollers, low ceiling FH approach and FH drives in the 275-335' area.
175? XXX - Slightly used, still very OS. Utility shit.

175 1.2 SOLF - Seasoned, does a nice hyzer flip BH, very straight FH drives at 75% power. It's my go to FH driving disc for everything but super low lines and max D, I'm very comfortable flicking it anywhere in the 325-375' range most days, some days a little shorter due to OAT and stuff. Powers down well either throwing style, and glides very nice.
175 1.2 QOLF - More overstable OLF. My 2nd OLF slot has been a revolving door ever since that SOLF beat in to around where my favorite 1.1 QOLF is. I took that one out for now since it's redundant and I don't want to risk losing it int he snow should we ever get some here in Ohio. This one worked well today so maybe it'll stay.

171 SDD - Just put it back in today for 1 reason: low line drive FH shots. I know it's a little faster than I should be throwing at my FH power level but I get such beautiful shots with it. Shots mere feet off the ground that fly dead straight, then have a nice fade and skip at the end. It fights wind better than my OLF's too and my Quasars are way too much for my FH. I feel kind of guilty about throwing such a fast and stable disc FH but it alone is giving my FH birdie oppurtunities I wouldn't otherwise have. I will continue using the JLS / OLF for most FH drives and keep working my Axis and Ion FH too so I get better form.

171 Q Quasar - Flashing removed, slight high speed turn, workable like a seasoned OLF. First disc I hit 500 with :) Feels slightly champystar. Absolute max D, long distance line shaping, low ceiling drives.
175 Q Quasar - Flashing on, stiffer more opaque plastic. Doesn't have high speed turn. Headwind max D, long shots that must not turn, big skips, low line drives etc.

There are a few areas I plan on doing some more experimenting. I'm getting a 168 S Ion to try out for putts since I enjoy putting with the 164 M as far as weight goes but don't like putting with M Ions. I just love the glide. I have an opto XXX coming in the mail to test out against my Preds which I dropped from my bag because I honestly never ever throw them, I can work my fresh 1.2 OLF's and 175 Quasars on similar long lines and the Vector has approaches and short drives covered, but I know I need a true overstable driver for monster headwinds and other utility shots. Also like I mentioned the Fuse I'm not crazy about. They feel nice in the hand, have great glide and are super smooth in their flight but mine isn't turning as easily as I would like. Might just need some beating in.

I'm going to try to get a bigger bag so I can carry more of a mold at a given time. I'd probably roll with 3 OLF's, add a FR domey Vector for hoggish short shots and add a fresh JLS and more beat JLS.

I've been very happy with my bag lately and haven't felt like I've been lacking anything except once a round or so I might wish I had a flippier Fuse / JLS on me, but in general I've replaced turnovers and anhyzers with my FH shot. I've put a lot of work into my FH the past 6 months or so and it's paying off. I've gotten incredibly consistent in the under 375' range. It's when I try to go for max D with it I end up screwing up my form. I think when I try to FH for max D I'm getting into the bad habit of using all arm and no body. If I can incorporate body rotation into my FH I will hit 400' consistently easily.

Putting is actually the strongest part of my game these past few rounds. Been absolutely killing it with putts.

Going to compete this year too. I've been throwing well so I'm going to get a PDGA membership and test out the Open division and see how badly I can get my ass kicked. I want to try and make it to a big tourney in my area and play in the same division as the top, top pros so I can see in person just how much work I have to get to their level. I was joking with my friend today, saying basically "Man, we have some good rounds, but when I watch the top Pro's throw, it's like if you took our best shots out here and made a highlight reel" They have such absurd consistency, that's what I'm going to have to get.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion