Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby JHern » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 am

I picked up one of these champion-like plastic Wizards at Worlds, Jerry Garcia stamp...super nice! As people have mentioned, very stable, and less glide is great.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby inthedrift » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm

JHern wrote:I picked up one of these champion-like plastic Wizards at Worlds, Jerry Garcia stamp...super nice! As people have mentioned, very stable, and less glide is great.

Any ideas on where one might find one of these online?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 am

inthedrift wrote:
JHern wrote:I picked up one of these champion-like plastic Wizards at Worlds, Jerry Garcia stamp...super nice! As people have mentioned, very stable, and less glide is great.

At any place selling Vibram Ridges.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:10 pm

inthedrift wrote:

I got mine from a guy from Washington state, he was a vendor at Pinto Lake. He is running a tournament in September in Washington.

Anyways, I definitely need to get a die job on this disc, or I'll certainly lose it! I'm thinking of doing concentric circles or spirals around the edge of Jerry's face, or something along those lines. Should be a mix of bright and dark colors, maybe some swirls.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 am

Just started throwing Wizards for all putting duties. I'm starting to love how my Medium's fly on putting and approach shots, but one of them took a beating today when I threw it into a tree. It tacoed just a tiny bit, but I got it back to almost normal, and I can't really tell a difference in flight.

How does the E plastic hold up? And how does it glide compared to a (stiff) Medium S plastic?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:22 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Just started throwing Wizards for all putting duties. I'm starting to love how my Medium's fly on putting and approach shots, but one of them took a beating today when I threw it into a tree. It tacoed just a tiny bit, but I got it back to almost normal, and I can't really tell a difference in flight.

How does the E plastic hold up? And how does it glide compared to a (stiff) Medium S plastic?

First off, there are 100 different blends of E plastic, so it's hard to really describe what you may end up with. Some of it is very durable, others I've hit trees with and had them crease the disc permanently. The less durable ones feel like they have a lot of H plastic in them and those are the only ones that glide. The stiffer more durable blends drop like rocks out of the air. The clear/HPP Es have a touch more glide than the stiffs, but still not nearly as much as S Wizards. All the premium Wizards fly like a joke compared to the new Ions.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 am

discspeed wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:Just started throwing Wizards for all putting duties. I'm starting to love how my Medium's fly on putting and approach shots, but one of them took a beating today when I threw it into a tree. It tacoed just a tiny bit, but I got it back to almost normal, and I can't really tell a difference in flight.

First off, there are 100 different blends of E plastic, so it's hard to really describe what you may end up with. Some of it is very durable, others I've hit trees with and had them crease the disc permanently. The less durable ones feel like they have a lot of H plastic in them and those are the only ones that glide. The stiffer more durable blends drop like rocks out of the air. The clear/HPP Es have a touch more glide than the stiffs, but still not nearly as much as S Wizards. All the premium Wizards fly like a joke compared to the new Ions.

After reading Mike C's dissertation on Ion's it made me want to switch. But considering I just now picked up 3 reallly nice Mediums, I'll probably stick with them for a while now so I can learn them. They are nice and stiff with a great texture, which feels so good on putts. I feel like I get such a clean release compared to my SSS. Same goes for driving off the tee.

I was just hoping that their E plastic would be a blend that didn't have major variations.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Eh there are really not that many runs of E plastic any more for wizards. You are either gonna get the clear HPP stuff which is like champ/Z and softer with little glide, the opaque E stuff which is stiffer and has more glide and is really overstable or a combo of the both called EHPP that is soft and stable with little glide.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:the opaque E stuff

I've felt about 10 varieties fitting this description. I had an orange E Wizard that was as hard as a medium and probably had the least glide of any disc I've thrown. It scaled at 176, but it felt like it weighed 220 when I threw it. For some reason I once used it in a tournament round and ripped it on a 260' hole. Even with 20' of height and a full helix flight it still fell out of the air at about 200'. The clear ones are a lot different, but they still feel like you are trying to throw through water or something when you throw them. IMO, the S/SS Wizards have the best glide. Durability is not really an issue, you just can't care if the disc looks beat.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I have not had those problems when throwing E wizards.
Frank Delicious

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I have not had those problems when throwing E wizards.

Have you had any of the rock hard Es? They were really domey as well, and I'm pretty sure they were all that pale Gateway orange color.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:43 pm

why yes I have but they were white, they had OK glide but too stiff for me.
Frank Delicious

Postby knuu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm

How are some of the Wizards being run currently? I am looking to add to my humble flock which has been greatly diminished of late.

What I seek is a specimen on the overstable side of things Wizard-wise for driving purposes. In the S plastic I prefer something like a typical Soft (should such a thing exist) on the Gateway flex scale, grippy rather than slick. I enjoy neither a rock hard disc nor a floppy one.

Having never tried an E Wizard, I am intrigued but unfamiliar with their ways. Frank's description of the opaque E models above sounds interesting. Any more input on these? What should I be looking for when ordering online, maybe a particular vendor or run that I should check out?
knuu
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:17 pm

The glow is the best plastic by far. Like better Kc pro plastic that has an eraser like texture... I have like ten of them... They are all soft mediums or hard softs (like Kc pro Roc hardness).

My fav by far... And they glow...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:55 am

He wanted an overstable WIzard and that would be HPP E clear Wizard. It glides way less than other Wizards though. It is gummy soft and quite tacky for premium plastic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment