PDGA Board

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:02 pm

I have learned many good things from the PDGA board, but most has been from people like Blake, not current members.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DAllen » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Since the beginning of winter I haven't checked out the disc golf stuff on the internet that I used to. I used to keep up on the latest plastics, molds and other stuff using the PDGA board (among other sites) and was actually thinking of becoming a member. Now that they have reduced it to a "members only" thing now I have NO interest in joining the PDGA. Especially after reading some of the stuff I have seen here about that board. It sounds like nothing has changed since the last time I checked it out.

All I have to say is thanks to whoever is running this board for keeping it open to the public.

-DAllen
“This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight... turbulence and then explode. ”

-Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
DAllen
Noob

Postby roadkill » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 am

I think the decision to make the pdga board exclusive to members was largely in repsonse to a lot of inflammatory posts made by nonmembers harshly criticizing the PDGA.

Today there is still some harsh criticism leveled at the PDGA and the BOD which is probably unfair. I guess they felt if they were going to have to be subjected to such public scrutiny they would atleast limit it to its dues paying members.

There's nothing wrong about an open debate and constructive criticism but many times it goes over the line. Hosting a message board can be a two edged sword. I enjoy having an arena for sharing new ideas and opinions but I've also seen the dark side where our leaders and volunteers are villified and have every decision called into question.

Private messaging is a far better method of taking up issues with our leadership, especially when what you have to say may be perceived as negative.

I am not defending the pdga's decision just sharing my take why they may have taken the action. And yes, we miss Blake and his wisdom over there.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 pm

i have been current since late january.

the reason for my lack of posting is exactly what i had predicted would happen: the people with legitimate questions can no longer post them and therefore, there are very few legitimate answers to those questions for me to post.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:01 am

the people with legitimate questions can no longer post them

And that is whay, as a self proclaimed "hacker", I enjoy this site so much...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:13 am

One unique thing about disc golf (to me) was that amatuers and pros could mingle and have conversations together. There is no other sport where you could go online and talk to a professional. I mean, I can't ask a question about my serve and have Andy Rodick give me advice.

I was in awe when I first discovered the PDGA site where those that play tournaments can communicate with a recreational player such as myself.

They've eliminated that to some degree. Also, these pros and sponsored players have the inside scoop on new stuff. I don't remember which dude I was talking to, but he told me that one of the shoe companys was working on a dedicated shoe for disc golf (not to tell anyone though).

Honestly, I get more constructive advice/conversation on this site with less flaming. One of the reasons Blake is so helpful to me, is that I understand him. On the PDGA forum, he gave me (or someone else maybe) advice on putting, posted a pic for me on the grip to use, and either sent me a video or a link to the video. I could understand him, and I improved.

Although I am struggling with the concept of off axis torque (I understand it actually, just not sure how to eliminate it when it happens), his advice/suggestions are meaningful.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:21 am

I don't understand some of the lingo Blake uses, but when I work on my game up at #6 [I live four houses down from the course in the Park], I will do something and it clicks what Blake was sayin'...

My game has improved much and I credit this site...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:I don't understand some of the lingo Blake uses, but when I work on my game up at #6 [I live four houses down from the course in the Park], I will do something and it clicks what Blake was sayin'...

My game has improved much and I credit this site...

Sometimes I don't understand him, but I think he tries to make it user friendly. Actually, most times I understand and just don't know how to correct it. This is when you post on this site! :D

Like I know about wrist roll and torque issues, but how do you help someone having these troubles?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:15 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Like I know about wrist roll and torque issues, but how do you help someone having these troubles?

practice throwing rollers. once you get comfortable with consciously torquing over, it tends to decrease how often it happens accidentally.

the other drill is to take a stack of very understable discs out to the field and throw a lot of hyzers with a focus on getting them to hold the same angle their entire flight.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Thank you Blake. Perhaps you'd already told me that and I didn't remember. I remember the throwing rollers advice, which I have been doing.

I rediscovered the slipstream during one of my roller sessions. I threw that thing on a 340 foot hole, hit the pole!, and it deflected to the right.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:12 pm

I threw that thing on a 340 foot hole, hit the pole!, and it deflected to the right.

Now if you were me, you'd collect your discs at this point, soak in the moment, and walk to the car... :wink:
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby noputtinsavage » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Blake,

I stumbled acros this link on DISCussion, and I'm glad! What a fresh place to find some useful info. on our sport.

I think I will put this in my favorites, and surf it often. I hope to see you again in Rock Hill.

Craig Leyva
I hope the next 25 years of disc golf are as good as the last 25!
noputtinsavage
Noob

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:43 pm

noputtinsavage wrote:I think I will put this in my favorites, and surf it often.

I recommend it...with an emphasis on the often. ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:07 pm

heya Craig. glad you found your way here.
Blake_T

Postby krusen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:17 am

Just became a PDGA member. I was pretty upset with the way they handled the forum thing, but decided that I'm gonna play some tourneys this year.
Remember "To err is human, to forgive is divine."
They still are the governing body of the sport we all love, and we need to work together to spread the addiction. :wink:
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion