The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby mattw » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am

Last night at league was the first night I put the River in the bag. I have two Optos both at 169. I had done some field work with them and decided it was time to try them out on the course. I am not a power thrower and my distance maxes out at around 350. I love this disc great in the open for all out distance but it shined for control shots. I only had one bad throw all night and that was my fault for popping it up to high so it wouldnt hold the anhyzer line. I was able to leave my Valks in the bag for distance it was great. I would like to pick up a couple of Goldline Rivers to try out. This disc seems to be a better fit for me than the PD.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jgheels1999 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 am

Its my main fairway driver and open field distance driver. I never understood how some quickly gave up on these things at first...anything with that insane amount of glide is worth trying to use to your advantage. I absolutely love how this disc fits into a Fuse dominated bag when transitioning to the fairway driver. Same glide, more speed, a little more stability.
ION, jokeri, Fuse, Axis, River, TB, Valk
Aces: Hole #11 Stumpy Creek 290' 170 S Ion
jgheels1999
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby mattw » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 am

Its made me want to try a Fuse out. I didnt give that disc much of a chance when it first came out either. I tried the River shortly after it came out but I had a tough time throwing it. I worked on my form and got some pointers from Dan Beato and things have gotten better. I love the glide on the River its made holes that I couldnt park before reachable. For me its filled both the control slot and distance slot in my bag. Pretty happy so far.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Peot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:51 am

Since I lost my beat Valk yesterday, I think this max wt Opto River I've been chucking is replacing that spot in my bag. These things boom for their speed.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby jgheels1999 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 am

Even though I've been throwing these discs since they first came out, I'm finding them more and more impressive on the lower lines. I don't have much distance since my form is in construction (max D river 350-380ft on flat grass ) but that 320-350 range on low lines is my favorite shot with this disc. Hyzer flip to flat, mild turn right, tiny fade at the end, and they just always end up parking.
jgheels1999
Noob

Postby weedjj » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:59 am

jgheels1999 wrote:Even though I've been throwing these discs since they first came out, I'm finding them more and more impressive on the lower lines. I don't have much distance since my form is in construction (max D river 350-380ft on flat grass ) but that 320-350 range on low lines is my favorite shot with this disc. Hyzer flip to flat, mild turn right, tiny fade at the end, and they just always end up parking.

Exactly the same lines I throw with them as well. They are absolutely a thing of beauty on low lines. I honestly don't know how anybody can throw something else in this slot. It's just an amazing disc.

On a side note, does Lat make any lighter weight ones anymore? I have been looking for some 162-165 orange GL ones to backup my only disc for like 4 months at every disc golf website I know of and can't find hardly anything beneath 169 at all, and if it is, it's white. I love my orange one and heard the blue ones are good too, so would consider one of those as long as I could get the appropriate weights.
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Postby jgheels1999 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:29 pm

weedjj wrote:
jgheels1999 wrote:Even though I've been throwing these discs since they first came out, I'm finding them more and more impressive on the lower lines. I don't have much distance since my form is in construction (max D river 350-380ft on flat grass ) but that 320-350 range on low lines is my favorite shot with this disc. Hyzer flip to flat, mild turn right, tiny fade at the end, and they just always end up parking.

Exactly the same lines I throw with them as well. They are absolutely a thing of beauty on low lines. I honestly don't know how anybody can throw something else in this slot. It's just an amazing disc.

On a side note, does Lat make any lighter weight ones anymore? I have been looking for some 162-165 orange GL ones to backup my only disc for like 4 months at every disc golf website I know of and can't find hardly anything beneath 169 at all, and if it is, it's white. I love my orange one and heard the blue ones are good too, so would consider one of those as long as I could get the appropriate weights.

I've gotten a blue 159 and 164 goldline from DGC, and a sweet opaque 161 blue opto at Marshallstreet before. The lighter weight blue ones are money, and I've seen upper 160's goldline orange ones before as well. I just check constantly, I bought the 164 within the last month and a half so I would be on the lookout when they restock.

Opaque 161 opto River
jgheels1999
Noob

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 pm

The River is REALLY surprising me in terms of how far it can go. It is straight up replacing my PPDs because it goes just as far for me, but at the same time it's easier to power down on because it's slower with more glide. It's fitting very nicely in my bag.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby mattw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm

This is the first driver that when I am on the course I am excited to throw. I can hit all the lines that I need to with this disc. The only problem that I have encountered is when the wind picks up. Just doesnt do well in a headwind if you pop it up a little to much. Striker fixed that problem for me. The River is the first driver I reach for now. Results for me have been great better control more distance. I dont have the arm for distance drivers but this disc allows me to keep up do to its great glide.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 am

discspeed wrote:The River is REALLY surprising me in terms of how far it can go. It is straight up replacing my PPDs because it goes just as far for me, but at the same time it's easier to power down on because it's slower with more glide. It's fitting very nicely in my bag.

What do you do on the same lines when the winds pick up? P PD is at an advantage then.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 am

JR wrote:
discspeed wrote:The River is REALLY surprising me in terms of how far it can go. It is straight up replacing my PPDs because it goes just as far for me, but at the same time it's easier to power down on because it's slower with more glide. It's fitting very nicely in my bag.

What do you do on the same lines when the winds pick up? P PD is at an advantage then.

I'd be throwing a seasoned SPD(yellow champstar). I've never been able to really trust PPDs in wind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby Skulboy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 am

Can't wait to throw one of these! I think I'll put a 170 Opto in my bag and see what happens.
Skulboy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: star valkyrie

Postby bill » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:16 am

why isn't that in my hand right now.

where can i get one and please give the right answer.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Booter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:24 am

dtworld.com has em i believe
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby bill » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Booter wrote:dtworld.com has em i believe

yes they do. thanks very much.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

PreviousNext