Leg and Hip Torque

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Leg and Hip Torque

Postby Tim H » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:18 am

First of all, nice work on putting together this site Blake. I have learned more here in a month than in one year of playing. Now, my question. I seem to be very off in my timing. I can throw about 250' from a stand still and about 270' with a run up. I'm wondering if this is because I don't have a strong hip turn. What can I do, other than stand in a mirror, to practice getting a good strong leg and hip turn? Would trying to have a quicker turn help? I realize this is something I will probably have to find through experimentation, but any advice would be appreciated. :)
Tim H
Noob

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 am

To get to my current throw which is just shy of 400 feet (I'll be there soon) I did a walk up throw. I still do not run up and I will begin incorporating a run up soon. Take nice slow even steps and begin the x step. I tend to do more of a hold the disc out and then reach back far like Barry Schultz does, but use what method makes you feel comfortable. When you initiate your reach back, make sure that your weight is over your left foot as your right foot extends out (Assuming RHBH throwing, reverse if LHBH) As your right foot touches the ground, and here is what you need to practice, you will push off with your left leg and begin rotating hips, then torso, then chest (your arm acts more like a whip at this point and trying to move your arm to throw will hurt your distance and spin.) If should be a very smooth fluid throw when its all said and done.

Side Note: After you get comfortable with this throwing setup, you can begin working on timing your reach back to be fully extended right as your right foot touches the ground. This will add some distance and more so snap to your throws.
LastBoyScout

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:45 am

tim h,

are you pointing your toes away from the target on your cross step? that should lead your hips from pointing away to pointing toward = good hip rotation. i think if you can throw 250' from a standstill you might be getting good hip rotation there, OR are able to strong arm it that far. when you step maybe you lose your hip rotation, or never had any in the first place so you just strong arm it 20' farther... see if you can tell the difference. watch your steps and see if they're leading your hips to turn properly.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Careful if you are strong arming it for 250, could lead to injuries. Sounds like you have good rotation though. Keep practicing; it will come.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Tim H » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:17 am

Well, after playing around with my throw some this weekend I found two week spots. One, I wasn't getting a bent arm on my reach back. That really added the distance, but the consistency wasn't there yet. Need more practice in this area :oops: Two, I wasn't getting a proper snap. I was death gripping the disc through my entire throw and didn't realize it. It wasn't until I had already played 22 holes and was getting tired that I realized what I was doing. I crushed a disc like 350' on a dog leg left hole (completely through the dog leg I might add) :shock: :evil: Spent the rest of the round trying to figure out what I did right :D

Thanks for the tips guys and keep up the good advice.
Tim H
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 am

Snap is a toughie. I played for years before I discovered it, and I don't know how to explain it either. This is how I have tried to explain. During my pull through, it's almost like you're starting a lawn more; I feel myself accelerating. Ah hell, I can't explain it.

One other thing that I'm not sure if someone pointed out, make sure you are finishing weight forward (transfer of weight).

I've been playing since '97, and I just got to where I have to worry about overthrowing some holes.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique