All drivers going 400'

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

All drivers going 400'

Postby Jimbrowskii » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am

Is there anything indicative of throwing TBs and nukes the same distance? I went through a phase of 'maxing out at 300ft' and of course I was strong arming it. I think I have improved a lot and now I am throwing all of my drivers ~400ft (buzzz is still at 300').

My disc flight is for the most part line drive. Most of the time its about a 10-15' line drive. but even a eye level line drive will still go 380. I would say I am throwing nose flat. Im not able to see the bottom of the disc but it also isnt flying up and stalling out. Just seems flat.

So, am I not getting enough snap or force for the nuke or is it more a flight path thing? What can I work on or change?
Jimbrowskii
Noob

Re: All drivers going 400'

Postby isobar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 am

Throwing 400' line drives is nothing to be ashamed of, I would suggest going out into a wide open field and trying out different lines though. If you want max D, you can't throw line drives. You need the sweeping S shots that need just as much room horizontally as they do vertically.

I can throw about 350' on a line drive, but if I throw a sweeping anny shot, I can generally get it out to about 400. So give this a try and see what you can come up with.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby Jimbrowskii » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:49 am

So on a line drive a tb and nuke should both go the same distance? The only thing that would make a nuke longer is taking a different flight?

I guess I just always thought that if you throw a tb Xft then a nuke with the same throw would go farther...
Jimbrowskii
Noob

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 am

Jimbrowskii wrote:So on a line drive a tb and nuke should both go the same distance? The only thing that would make a nuke longer is taking a different flight?

I guess I just always thought that if you throw a tb Xft then a nuke with the same throw would go farther...

Part of it might be that you're not giving the bigger drivers enough height. Throwing a max D line requires a lot more space to work with, both vertically and horizontally, than a controlled shot.

However, there might be something else going on. How much horizontal movement are you getting from your TB vs the Nuke?
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Jimbrowskii » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 am

TB is perfectly straight with a slight fade at the end. Nuke goes out straight for ~100' then turn over slightly for about 200' and then fade pretty hard for the last 100'.
Jimbrowskii
Noob

Postby Jimbrowskii » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 am

Nuke probably turns 5 ft to the right and then comes back and lands 10ft left of center.
Jimbrowskii
Noob

Postby JHern » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Throwing max distance is going to require you to:
1) Throw nose up with anhyzer
2) Get the disc to turn over enough that the disc is flying nose down at apex
3) Has enough spin and velocity that it doesn't hyzer before giving all the glide its got, but not too late either

You're also going to want a disc that will turn nicely at high speeds and give a stable shallow glide angle. Valkyrie-like for narrow rimmed drivers, Destroyer-like (and beat, if necessary) for wide-rimmed drivers. Nuke should also work fine.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby pg043 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 am

I'm having similar issues lately. In my "prime" last year, my longest drives were going about 500' and I was hitting 425'+ on command. I have lost a lot of distance this year but I would say now I can hit 400' more or less on command and my biggest drives are going 450'. I have also noticed that my TBs go just about as far as my Destroyers every time unless I get a really good one. I can only reach 450 with a Destroyer.

I have two theories. One is that I am relying on the glide on the TB and my overstable Destroyers just need to be thrown on a different line (big anny) to go farther. The second is that the smaller rim on the TB allows me to get more snap and throw it at a higher velocity than the wide rimmed Destroyer. The Destroyer goes as far as the TB while travelling at a slower speed.
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby DsmDisc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:16 pm

My first inclination would be nose-up throws, but getting 400' out of a teebird makes that seem unlikely. My next guess would be what others have said: lines. A nuke (and other wide-rims like a katana) are not designed to fly on line-drive path. They are best thrown on a hyzer-flip if you have the snap, or a sweeping anhyzer otherwise. I think if you put a little more air under the Nuke and put it on a fairly mild anny, you'll get much better results from it.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Return to Technique