Playing by the rules vs. "being a jerk"

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Playing by the rules vs. "being a jerk"

Postby Peot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am

Or insert whatever much more inflammatory term for jerk you can imagine.

Where do you draw the line? It seems like most disc golfers have an exceptional distaste for "rules lawyers," and probably rightfully so. But the reality of the situation is that, especially in the AM divisions, we have to police ourselves. If someone foot faults to hit a big putt and I call them for it, I'm not being a jerk, right? I'm just playing by the rules.

I remember my first tournament as a PDGA member last summer, and on my second hole in a guy called me for foot faulting on a straddle putt. He justified it by saying "this is an A-tier." I was kinda pissed at first- but does the level of tournament really matter? If I committed a stance violation and he saw it, then doesn't he have the right to call me on it whether it's Pro Worlds or a C-Tier with one card in our division?

Do you feel the need to justify "playing by the rules?" If someone takes umbrage, are they just SOL? I mean, it's one thing to call people for really stupid things, but are there any major calls that you won't make on someone just because you don't want to be perceived as "that guy?"
Peot
Tree Magnet

Re: Playing by the rules vs. "being a jerk"

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am

I'll def step up and be that guy and say something about rules violations. We have rules for a reason.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby what'shisname » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am

what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am

I have one very specific person I play with who will cheat his face off. Foot faults (I'm talking one foot behind his lie, the other stretched 4 feet out toward the basket), forgetting 2 or 3 strokes on some holes to lower his score (which I have written down) and then will brag F-O-R-E-V-E-R about how he beat you and is a better player.

I call him on everything he does. He calls me a "referee." I tell him disc golf has TDs. :wink:

If you ever go back and read any of my topics about rules clarifications, it's because of something he's done on a course. Outside of DG he's pretty chill but put a disc in his hand and its as if his manhood is challenged or something. I actually bought a 2011 rulebook for my bag just because of him.

But, like Frank said, we have rules so we should follow them.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 am

We are a self-policing sport (other players police players). And the rules are quite generous, in allowing for a warning first, before any penalty strokes are given. Not naming names, there are some folks who are way too into the rules, and view the entire round through the lens of this or that violation, and always concerned about dotting i's and crossing t's in every way. It can indeed go too far, since it takes away from the fun of the game for the other players on the card. But there is nothing you can do about that kind of player, except to learn the rules and follow them strictly yourself. Practice playing by the rules in practice rounds, marking your lie properly, avoiding foot faults, demonstrating balance inside the circle, etc.. Its really pretty easy.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I agree with JHern... mostly. The problem I have ISN'T with the rules monger, it's with the blatant cheater who then tries to rub their score in your face. Any other time I'm laid back and just having fun.

Of note, I play with the blatant cheater during casual rounds that don't mean much other than having fun. At my league I've never once called anyone out for a rules violation.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Dogma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Peot wrote:Do you feel the need to justify "playing by the rules?"

Do I feel that way? Yes. Should I feel that way? No.

If you're playing in any kind of tournament there should be an expectation that rules will be followed. There should also be an expectation that you will be called out if you aren't following the rules.

The problem isn't "that guy" who is pointing out a violation, it's "that guy" who is shown that he committed a violation and is then a dick about it.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Apothecary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 pm

i solve that problem by being the louder dick whos in the right. :lol:

in my circles if someone calls you on a violation, you made a violation. people who argue about it are quickly shamed into submission.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Apothecary wrote:i solve that problem by being the louder dick whos in the right. :lol:

in my circles if someone calls you on a violation, you made a violation. people who argue about it are quickly shamed into submission.

This is pretty much it around here too. Play by the rules or get called. Or play by yourself.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby mshelton » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Most of the times when I see it it's minor or could be excused that the person didn't know, I'll let it slide then say something to them between holes when I can do it 1-1 without anyone else in the group hearing it.

It's usually the "Hey, I don't know if you know but you did $x back there, just letting you know because someone is going to call you on it sooner or later." and it's taken care of the problem every time. But if it ever happens again, then the Apoth reply would be put into effect.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Apothecary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 pm

thats fine for casual rounds but ive seen people lose by a stroke in competitive play because they gave a private warning instead of calling a foul and getting a second. youre basically giving the guy an additional chance to break the rules by not calling fouls through the proper channels.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby mshelton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 am

Forgot to mention I'm in AM division and usually take into account if the guy has a chance in hell of placing, most of the people I've seen with minor infractions don't.

For me it's a judgment call, a guy with 5 or 6 discs that's 6 over through 5, then it's the private warning.

Now someone with a $100 bag full of plastic along with a galloping rainbow seal avatar, yeah, then I'd break out the bullhorn and revolver.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Apothecary » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 am

my sim cost significantly more than $100USD. :lol:
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I don't think you know what a seal looks like Shelton.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby veganray » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Apothecary wrote:youre basically giving the guy an additional chance to break the rules by not calling fouls through the proper channels.

QFT. You fuck everybody else in the violator's division (including, oftentimes, yourself) by sparing the delicate feelings of the violator and/or soothing your own conflict-averse pusillanimity.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Next

Return to Rules Discussion