Coffee thread (any takers?)

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Coffee thread (any takers?)

Postby Dig It » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 am

So I got a big bag of Guatemalan Beans and as I am grinding some I am reading the bag. It says not to use soft water. What the shit is with that? Anyone know why it's not suggested to use soft water in your brews?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby BLURR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:57 pm

RustyP wrote:Tried the cold brew a few times this week. First time I forgot to cover the bottle before sticking it in the fridge and it sat next to some uncovered, really pungent garlic aioli all night and took on some garlicy smells...not so good. Next time I did it right and it was great...thanks for the tip!

Cold brew is great. I could drink it all day long and not get heartburn from it. Rustyp, did you just use a bowl or something to brew it in? Or did you buy a cold brew "system"?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby RustyP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:46 pm

No cold brew system. I just googled "cold brew coffee" and found recipes that called for simply soaking coarsely ground beans in water for ~12hrs. I did just that, then ran it through a fine mesh strainer to remove the dregs. Tasted good to me (aside from the Limited Editon, garlic scented first run ;))...is there a noticeable difference with a "system"?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:06 pm

I got one of those gas station cappuccinos the other day. I think it was english toffee. Pretty good.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Dig It wrote:So I got a big bag of Guatemalan Beans and as I am grinding some I am reading the bag. It says not to use soft water. What the shit is with that? Anyone know why it's not suggested to use soft water in your brews?
Hard Water (rich in minerals, such as spring water) will generally produce a better tasting coffee then soft water (such as water treated by RO systems or the use of distilled water). It is the minerals in water that will bring out the aroma of coffee.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:41 am

jubuttib wrote:
Dig It wrote:So I got a big bag of Guatemalan Beans and as I am grinding some I am reading the bag. It says not to use soft water. What the shit is with that? Anyone know why it's not suggested to use soft water in your brews?
Hard Water (rich in minerals, such as spring water) will generally produce a better tasting coffee then soft water (such as water treated by RO systems or the use of distilled water). It is the minerals in water that will bring out the aroma of coffee.

Finnish high end coffee + granite? Granite is the most common stone in Finland. Do you have the minerals? It would be a funny line to a female barista :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dig It » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:34 pm

"Excuse me Mr. Barista, can I get some Basalt and Gneiss in my water for that Latte?"
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby BradC » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 am

Agree on the percolator for home brews.

Nothing thought tastes better than some good coarse grounds brewed up next to the campfire with a Jetboil and french press. Just something about waking up in the woods with a fresh hot cup next to a fire...
BradC
Noob

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.