MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby discspeed » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:21 am

Destin wrote:What do the new clear ones offer over the older not clear plastic ions? I currently carry 2 medium ions in my bag. One is the first one I got and it is understable. I love this disc for anything anhyzer from 200 or less, especially when I have to curve it around a tree. I've made quite a few 50' to 100' anhyzer shots with this disc and it would never leave my bad. My other medium ion is exactly like the other 2 I have that are not in my bag. It used to be my regular putter but recently I switched to the KC Pro Aviar for putts inside the circle and have been a little more consistent. Also I was getting too many putts that would hit above or below the chains that would bounce off and roll a ways from the basket. I still use it for straight or hyzer putts outside of 30'. I agree with the comment from Mike C that they seem to need more spin. When I putt from inside of 30', I put very little spin on it and when I get outside of 30', I put more spin on it. So back to my question, what will the clear ones give me that the old ones don't? Are they better to drive with? I had a Vector in my bag that I loved but once it got hot and humid here I took it out of my bag because I had grip/slip problems when the disc/my fingers were just the slightest bit wet. I feel like the clear plastic is the slickest of any plastic from any company so that would also detract me from getting a new one.

My understable medium Ion is my favorite too, and it will be my most thrown Ion for a long time to come simply because they have got progressively more HSS and I prefer a slight hyzer release. This Ion also needs less spin than the others and flattens from slight hyzer even inside the circle, so it's also my main putter. Its the same as when I putted with Wizards/Bangers/Magnets/Warlocks/ and Voodoos--I prefer to putt a seasoned putter. Once they all got a bit of high speed turn they all glided better and more effortless.

Compared to the old textured mediums, the new ones are more HSS. Before I got my new clear mediums I was using a new soft Ions for all hyzer holding shots. This was because the old mediums, even when brand new, would push from a hyzer (unless they had a sharp flash on the bottom). So now the new mediums will hold a hyzer nicely and still gide like mad. As far as your Vector issues, I just don't really get it. I live in the most humid place in the US and I have no issues. I carry a cloth bag with clay pellets that coats my hands in moisture absorbing dust, and most other serious golfers down here carry something to mitigate hand moisture. I can't throw ANY disc if my hand is the least bit wet (I have a somewhat unconventional grip that probably suffers worse in this regard than a normal power grip). I have 3 FR Vectors in my bag, and they see a lot of use without any slips. That being said, the FR Vectors are the stiffest plastic I've gotten from MVP, and usaully the stiffer the plastic, the slicker. The newer runs of Vectors are tackier, and the medium Ions are tackier yet. The disc still feels rigid overall, but there is a gummy layer on the surface of the disc that is really grippy. Here's where we are opposites---I feel like the new Ions are sticking to my hands too much in the humidity on putts, making releases feel weird. I use my old slicker one right now because I'm not used to the feel of the new ones yet. I have no problems driving the new ones though.

So to reiterate and answer your question, the new clear Ions are grippier, more HSS, have a touch more glide (especially at low speeds), and feel more refined. They do not feel like the FR Vectors much at all. I'm just about positive that anyone unfamiliar with the Ion would choose the new ones over the old ones every time.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 am

I just received my new soft clear Ions in the mail. I thought the new plastic was pretty grippy on the mediums, but the way my fingers push into the softs ever so slightly makes them grippier by a noticeable margin. The overmolds also feel stiffer on these softs compared to earlier runs I have, and this has got me really excited to throw them. They are definitely not anywhere close to floppy, even here in FL. I have a feeling these are going to be pretty stable. I should get to throw them tonight and report back.
discspeed

Postby emiller3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:28 pm

MVP, stick with the overstable version and come up with a grippy baseline plastic that molds up identically in flatness and flex to your current run premiums and I'll switch over from my Wizards for good!
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:33 pm

discspeed wrote:I just received my new soft clear Ions in the mail. I thought the new plastic was pretty grippy on the mediums, but the way my fingers push into the softs ever so slightly makes them grippier by a noticeable margin. The overmolds also feel stiffer on these softs compared to earlier runs I have, and this has got me really excited to throw them. They are definitely not anywhere close to floppy, even here in FL. I have a feeling these are going to be pretty stable. I should get to throw them tonight and report back.

I got some putts and throws in tonight with my new Ions. On drives they flew a lot like the last smooth bottom run of softs--much more HSS than earlier runs. They seem to have a touch more glide than the opaque colored softs. To get any turnover and good D I was needing to turn them over on my release. I didn't get many full power throws, but I did have one that went about 360' on a really slow helix that started turned over out of my hand. Compared to my mediums the softs drop slower/glide more, hold a slight turn better, and definitely fade more. It may be a little early to say for sure, but it seemed like these are the longest gliding Ions I've yet thrown.

On putts they behaved more different from older softs than on drives. With the stiffer rim I found that although they would take spin like the older softs, they also could perform on a lower spin pitch style. Older softs faded out on this type of shot, but the newer ones look almost identical to the mediums when thrown like this. I think that a lot of people are going to like the way this run putts. I still prefer the feel of the mediums for putting, but it's really hot here now and I could see myself going to these in the winter if the mediums feel too firm to grip.
discspeed

Postby Chadi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 pm

So I just picked up an Ion from GGGT to demo. I had high hopes for but I may have grabbed the wrong kind...

I'm a hyzer-flip player so discs like fuses or seasoned magnets fit perfectly into my game. The only problem is I like to throw Magnets aggressively and strong hits can render them useless very quickly. I'm hoping for an ion that given a 300' drive will gently hyzer flip, push straight, and drop rather than fade. The one I picked up is incredibly HSS and has quite a bit of LSS fade. It does hold annies and drops nicely but I can't keep it on a straight line without flexing it. It's a new clear medium 175g, I like the color of the new ones and the medium plastic feels more sturdy as a driver.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I give a lighter ion a shot? Should I try to break it in? I do have plenty of chemicals and scouring materials at my disposal...
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:16 pm

the newer the ion, the more hss AND lss it is. the money ions have the bead partially obscured by the overmold and are sandblasted. my style is similar to yours and trust me when i suggest that you track down an older ion while you still can.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Chadi wrote:So I just picked up an Ion from GGGT to demo. I had high hopes for but I may have grabbed the wrong kind...

I'm a hyzer-flip player so discs like fuses or seasoned magnets fit perfectly into my game. The only problem is I like to throw Magnets aggressively and strong hits can render them useless very quickly. I'm hoping for an ion that given a 300' drive will gently hyzer flip, push straight, and drop rather than fade. The one I picked up is incredibly HSS and has quite a bit of LSS fade. It does hold annies and drops nicely but I can't keep it on a straight line without flexing it. It's a new clear medium 175g, I like the color of the new ones and the medium plastic feels more sturdy as a driver.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I give a lighter ion a shot? Should I try to break it in? I do have plenty of chemicals and scouring materials at my disposal...

Slight hyzer flip is my preferred putter driver style as well. I'm still using proto medium Ions for this shot(which is all my drives except for hyzer or fading shots) and they fly exactly how you describe above. Those discs have virtually no beads. The newer Ions are much closer to a Wizard in stability. Not only this, but they seem like they are going to break in very slowly. This creates a bit of an issue because it's always nice to have a beat to snot putter, and the Ion likely will never fulfill this role. I've been considering adding a Sonic as my buddy has been killing it with his on short touch annies.

At one point some time ago there was talk of eventually making overstable/understable putters to go along with the Ion. I hope these plans are still in the works, especially the understable one as the new Ions are as overstable as I'd ever want a pure putter...Although if they made a short overstable disc that still had enough glide to ride out flex shots and still be great in the wind it would be interesting. The Vector doesn't work like this for me, probably something to do with the large diameter...It either completely fights turning or takes the turn to the ground if I exaggerate the angle or force it. Right now the market seems to only have glidey neutral to understable putters, and overstable glideless ones.
discspeed

Postby Apothecary » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 pm

discspeed wrote:Slight hyzer flip is my preferred putter driver style as well. I'm still using proto medium Ions for this shot(which is all my drives except for hyzer or fading shots) and they fly exactly how you describe above. Those discs have virtually no beads. The newer Ions are much closer to a Wizard in stability.

man oh man i wish they were still making ions that fly like ions instead of ions that fly like wizards...
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Apothecary wrote:
discspeed wrote:Slight hyzer flip is my preferred putter driver style as well. I'm still using proto medium Ions for this shot(which is all my drives except for hyzer or fading shots) and they fly exactly how you describe above. Those discs have virtually no beads. The newer Ions are much closer to a Wizard in stability.

man oh man i wish they were still making ions that fly like ions instead of ions that fly like wizards...

The old Ions flew like that due to asymmetry making their rotation a bit off axis as well as the bead being obscured in areas...That's a hard thing to do on purpose(asymmetry). Chad's original vision of how he wanted the Ion is most accurately expressed in the new runs(he was a Wizard thrower). All they need to do is make a fatter overmold for the Ion so that it obscures the bead completely and I think we would have discs like that again...I can't think of ANY reason why they wouldn't do this. :thumbup:
discspeed

Postby Apothecary » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 pm

discspeed wrote:The old Ions flew like that due to asymmetry making their rotation a bit off axis as well as the bead being obscured in areas

asymmetry? the only ions that ive seen that could be described that way were the first run meds with the little flap of loose rubber where the flight plate meets the overmold. what asymmetry are you talking about?
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Apothecary wrote:
discspeed wrote:The old Ions flew like that due to asymmetry making their rotation a bit off axis as well as the bead being obscured in areas

asymmetry? the only ions that ive seen that could be described that way were the first run meds with the little flap of loose rubber where the flight plate meets the overmold. what asymmetry are you talking about?

Many of the early softs(non-FRs) and even a small percentage of the first run blue mediums had overmolds that were not exactly centered. This made the bead fully exposed in some areas and mostly obscured in others. Some examples are worse than others, but if you look really closely at any of the early softs you can see the overmolds were never quite perfectly centered like they have been in subsequent runs.
discspeed

Postby chickenonabun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm

I finally felt an ion at PIAS today, and was surprised that it felt almost identical in the hand to a wizard too me. It will definatley be the next putter I try if I get pissed at my wizards, although not for $20...
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby cmrichar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:46 pm

chickenonabun wrote:I finally felt an ion at PIAS today, and was surprised that it felt almost identical in the hand to a wizard too me. It will definatley be the next putter I try if I get pissed at my wizards, although not for $20...
Our MSRP is $15.95, that is a high markup.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby Amateur » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Marshall St. has them for like $14. Your pick of weight and color.
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby chickenonabun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Yep, I'll definatley be getting one from MST with my next big order of stuff.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment