Newbie disc advice.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbie disc advice.

Postby taylor310 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:34 pm

Ok, I bought 2 discs when I knew nothing about them at the time and realize it was a mistake now but its too late. I currently own a Champ Beast and a Champ Valkyrie.

I just within the last week started throwing with proper technique. I have been using the valkyrie on most throws, but I am thinking i probably need to get a tier 2 disc. Since I have become somewhat accustomed to the valkyrie already which of the tier 2 discs do you think would fit me best? Should i get a more overstable tier 2 disc?

There are occasions i can throw 300 ft, but i would say i usually fall in the 200-250 range.
taylor310
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:19 pm

the valk's speed would normally rank it among tier 4, but it's quite flippy in the greater swing of things so i put it in tier 3 as it's probably the easiest of the super fast discs to throw.

as for the lower tier'd drivers, in reality, they are probably more stable than a valk, just much slower. the gazelle (i only recommend dx plastic on this one) is probably the most (over)stable of my tier 2 list but i find it very controllable.

if you are occasionally cracking 300', but have an average somewhere in the 200-250 range, then you are on the right track and would probably benefit very much from mastering a tier 2 or slower tier 3 disc.

slower discs will yield a smaller variance in your throws. while a gazelle may not go as far as your valk on a max d rip (probably about 20' shorter), it should yield a more predictable distance, e.g. 240-270' vs. 200-310'. once you can consistently break 270' with a gazelle, you are definitely ready for the next step. the key is in consistency.

as for how they stack up in the long run...
i can throw a gazelle about 340-350' vs. 370-390' w/ my dx valk. not a substantial jump, especially when the gazelle will be more accurate on just about every throw.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby taylor310 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:03 pm

I went to academy and bought a Leopard and a aviar putt and approach.

I didn't like the leopard at all, so i returned it pretty much immediately. I wish they would have had a gazelle, but i guess i will just have to go to another store.
taylor310
Noob

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:00 am

taylor310 wrote:I went to academy and bought a Leopard and a aviar putt and approach.

I didn't like the leopard at all, so i returned it pretty much immediately. I wish they would have had a gazelle, but i guess i will just have to go to another store.

What didn't you like about the Leopard?

When my max D was in the 250'-300' range the Leopard was the best driver I had. It flew very straight from a hyzer flip with very minimal fade and would glide forever.
garublador
Disc Whore

Sabre!

Postby DiscinDeadHead » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 am

Get a Sabre. Enough said.
Chris Boro
~Team GDS~
DiscinDeadHead
Noob

Return to Equipment