Success Stories

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Success Stories

Postby GDL5000 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 am

Drive for show, putt for dough.

Oh, and throwing 450 downhill isn't throwing 450. just sayin'....Park 13 from the shorts, that's a 450' shot.
GDL5000
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:48 pm

agreed that downhill isn't the same as flat but w/e i felt good about the throws i had that day.
10 from the short isn't actually downhill all that much either. id still wager on flat ground that throw would have been at least 400 which for me is a noticeable increase.

waiting on some of my replacement/new discs to arrive in the mail and give some of the drivers im more comfortable a whirl. having to play with not much besides a brand new wraith and a beat to hell beast was leaving me wishing i hadn't lost my S-PD for the strait shots.
hopeing the new PD and Flow i got otw should round the bag out a bit more. wraith being still a bit overstable, pd being strait, flow being slight understable, and my beast being delightfully flippy.

planned on hitting grandview for monday night throwdown but after 2 rounds of ewing on saturday and nearly 3 rounds of grandview last night my arm needs a break
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby JR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:12 am

I'll be damned if i declare success in my throwing yet. My best success this year was to film consistent degradation of form. So i know i have my work cut out for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 pm

the more i learn and read on hear the worse i realize i am and the more i know i need to work on. but that i suppose is part of the fun.

my plan for near future is to continue field practice with drivers and midrange but working lines rather than distance so much. focus on smoooth
seriously concentrating on putting. i need to go find some good guides on this, i also need to find a way to practice this at home. currently considering the broomstick/drawing on wood fence with chalk idea.

also had the first time ever today that someone called me to return i disc i had lost.
lost my 2 day old yet already feeling like its been in the bag for months S-PD about 2 weeks ago in some elephant grass down in norwalk(windflower park)
plan to pick it up tomorrow and in return offer to dye a disc for him.
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:55 am

oooo yea! played grandview last night and shot under par.
finished with a 53(-1)
had 3 birdies / 2 bogeys
the round was one of the most consistent i have had in a while. very excited for this as a main goal my friend and i had at the start of this year was to consistently par grandview by the end of the year.
(at start of year our average on this course was in the +6 thru +10 range. with +6 being very good and 8-10 being average.)
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby DsmDisc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Well i've been busy as shit and not able to play as much as I'd like to lately, but my last round at Ewing I took a video of hole 10. I would say this is my best shot there, mainly because it was right down the middle of the fairway, though it isn't quite the longest I've had. This landed about 550' according to google earth. As I watch the video I still need to work on delaying my shoulder rotation to get the disc into my chest, but my current form certainly gets results. This was thrown with a 170-something pro wraith.

KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Postby MDP » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 pm

DsmDisc wrote:Well i've been busy as shit and not able to play as much as I'd like to lately, but my last round at Ewing I took a video of hole 10. I would say this is my best shot there, mainly because it was right down the middle of the fairway, though it isn't quite the longest I've had. This landed about 550' according to google earth. As I watch the video I still need to work on delaying my shoulder rotation to get the disc into my chest, but my current form certainly gets results. This was thrown with a 170-something pro wraith.

You had some nice acceleration going on there.

I love throwing on that hole...it always makes me want to empty my bag.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 am

DsmDisc wrote:Well i've been busy as shit and not able to play as much as I'd like to lately, but my last round at Ewing I took a video of hole 10. I would say this is my best shot there, mainly because it was right down the middle of the fairway, though it isn't quite the longest I've had. This landed about 550' according to google earth. As I watch the video I still need to work on delaying my shoulder rotation to get the disc into my chest, but my current form certainly gets results. This was thrown with a 170-something pro wraith.

epic toss.
your throw looks a lot different than mine, and i would honestly say in a much nicer way.
i'm impressed by how smooth and effortless that looked. i think i'm getting a little carried away lately with using too much run up momentum in my throws.

i think im going to need bring the video camera out to ewing myself today. im starting to think some detailed video review would be helpful and a good point of reference for where im at currently.

putting is getting better, started using much less arm and more leg push off. getting more power and needed to use less arm so i stay more accurate. loving it.
haven't had a round over par on a course in 2 weeks. but i also have avoided ewing for 2 weeks :D
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby Wyno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm

That's a very nice throw! Smooth and balanced. However, acoording to Google earth that's about a 40' drop in elevation as well... If that's right, remember the usual rule is 1' elevation equals 3' distance... so this would equal around 430' on flat ground. Just sayin'.
Last edited by Wyno on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby DsmDisc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Agreed on the 430' (roughly.) Several of the guys here are familiar with this hole though, so saying 550' is appropriate for reference to their throws on this same hole.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby Wyno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:11 pm

DsmDisc wrote:Agreed on the 430' (roughly.) Several of the guys here are familiar with this hole though, so saying 550' is appropriate for reference to their throws on this same hole.

A-OK, and for the record I'm not quite at that distance yet myself :-)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm

so went out and played ewing today, threw hole 10 twice.
id say my drivers were getting 400-450. Katana - Flow - Wraith
but what had me amazed was that i traded some guy for a Fuse (latitude 64 - midrange) and for my very first throw with it i put it down on hole 10.
That Fuse went 400+ feet, easily. it landed as far as my S-PD...

is this normal? i can get my Ion and Fuse and Rocs out almost as far as my drivers on wide open holes with no "Line" to hit.
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby MDP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

InvaderMirO wrote:so went out and played ewing today, threw hole 10 twice.
id say my drivers were getting 400-450. Katana - Flow - Wraith
but what had me amazed was that i traded some guy for a Fuse (latitude 64 - midrange) and for my very first throw with it i put it down on hole 10.
That Fuse went 400+ feet, easily. it landed as far as my S-PD...

is this normal? i can get my Ion and Fuse and Rocs out almost as far as my drivers on wide open holes with no "Line" to hit.

Mids with good glide and a forward fade (like the fuse) can really go far downhill.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby DsmDisc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm

If you get just the right angle of release on a Fuse it will glide and glide forever downhill. Put a good amount of hyzer on it and let it rip and 400' isn't unheard of.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:13 am

550 on hole 10 at Ewing does not equate to 430 on flat ground. Trust me on that. Hell...back at the DSM Open a few weeks back, I put one within 40 feet of the basket during warmups off the long pad...and I can't throw 430 on flat ground.

Now, in terms of your throw, very nice and fluid. Although it looks like you could use a little more weight shift when your arm starts to clear your chest as it looks like your losing some of your momentum and your arm compensates for it.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Technique