Any lifters?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Any lifters?

Postby Peot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:45 pm

I don't mean picking up some dumbbells and getting in some flies/shoulder presses/tricep extensions. I mean hossin' some weight around. Deadlift/squat/olympic lifts. I've pretty much been forced to for a number of years now, and it's amazing how much more functionally athletic I've become. So does anyone include any big boy lifts in their disc golf training regimen?
Peot
Tree Magnet

Re: Any lifters?

Postby BLURR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 am

3 days a week....Squats, Good-Mornings or Romanian Deadlift(Depending upon how the back feels), Power Cleans and Standing Military Press. A lifting buddy of mine describes these types of exercises as "daddy strength" exercises.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

Little and cable work too. I'm recovering from an injury that will never heal fully so i have a long pause prior to starting a year and a half ago and i'm not that strong so i do few reps and even fewer sets. I've noticed the difference at work more than in gaining drive D. I have gained putting distance though but not much on long range hitting the putts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mzuleger » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 pm

I hit the gym twice a day, 6 days a week (cardio before work, weights after). Recently accomplished a long goal of mine to bench twice my body weight... that was a 375lb bench. I don't know that any of this has really helped my DG game... though I don't think it has hurt it by any means.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby biodarwin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 am

mzuleger wrote:I hit the gym twice a day, 6 days a week (cardio before work, weights after).

Over train much?
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 am

I had followed the Strong Lifts 5x5 program for a few months at the beginning of the year but was unable to keep up with the calorie requirement and I failed pretty hard. After recovering I am back on the compounds but changed the program and wont be going for gains as much.

I stick with Squat, Bench, BB Rows, UpRight Rows and Overhead Press. Then I will do some isolations until failure but I am pretty compound centric.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:54 am

I'm currently on the SL5x5. I did it for 8 weeks then had to take about a month off because of random family events. when I tried to come back to it I had to all but start over from scratch (which is an empty bar). I'm now back to where I left off and I'm starting to feel good. I'm not sure how it's affected my DG. I throw farther than my own good to begin with. I'm really doing this (weight) for my health.

yo DigIt what kind of calorie requirements are you talking about? how many weeks in were you? did you try the deloads?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 am

keltik wrote:yo DigIt what kind of calorie requirements are you talking about? how many weeks in were you? did you try the deloads?

I really wanted to hit the 1g Protein per 1lb of body weight per day. Strong Lifts and it's oaf brother Starting Strength push you to be upping your weight 5-10lbs every session and that requires a ton of food to pack on the gains they want you to achieve. I calculated it to being roughly 3k-3500cal/day and I couldn't do it.

I was only 6 weeks in when I failed hard. I hadn't eaten enough throughout the day and went into my training very hungry. I had my Whey shake ready but my meager meal earlier in the day didn't prepare me. I get into the Gym (I usually workout at home but was checking out a local Gym my friend loves) and I work my Squats (180lbs so 15lbs over my body weight at the time). That goes well and notice people are looking at me like I was crazy because I was using that weight holder called a Squat Rack. Seriously had to wait for a guy to finish curling in it before I could start. I get to bench and just gas hard. I was trying to put up 155 and gassed so I kept stripping the weight down until I could get through my 5x5. Needless to say I was light headed through my BB Rows and floated home.

When I got home I felt like shit for a week. I had stopped getting DOMS weeks earlier but this time it was like my first week and I couldn't move. I knew I fucked up bad and was probably pretty close to doing some real damage so I took a few weeks off to reevaluate what I wanted. The gains were awesome and if I didn't have a problem with the eating I really feel I could have gotten some real serious gains form the program. That said I think I got just under 10 lbs of gains from that 6 weeks and was plateauing soon anyway. My goal going in was a 2 plate squat and a body weight bench and I was on the right track so I know SL5x5 is the one for me, I just need to work out how to get the food in me that I need for my gains.

Right now I know compound lifts are part of my life and squats are the single greatest lift in the world. In the past few weeks I have been getting back on the horse but much slower this time but any advice from more advanced/experienced lifters would be helpful. I have a AWESOME weight set in my basement with a squat rack and everything so I have all the tools I need expect experience.

A question for you more advanced people: I have been thinking of going from back squats to front squats because I want the load to be more on my quads than my glutes. Does anyone have any thing to say on front vs. back squats as far as which is better in the long run or are they both good? FWIW I feel my form is better and I can get more ass to grass with fronts and I know breaking parallel is key to keep injury at bay.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:53 pm

185 squat @ six weeks doesn't sound right. Looking at my spread sheet you should have only been at about 120 to 130 for squats. Did you read the "report"? It says if you hit a plateau you need to deload by 10% and keep going. it also says to not drop weight just to make 5x5. did you start the program with an empty bar?

as far as the calories go I don't eat that much either (2000-2500/day). But if I read your last post right I'm a bit bigger than you are and I'm not trying to gain weight. I think the recommendation for ~3500kCal/day is for when you start lifting HEAVY. the first 12 weeks you should really be just adjusting your diet to get rid of the junk. I'm not into supplements or anything but I move around a lot at work and I eat about 4-5 times a day. try eating a peanut butter sandwich about an hour before you lift. you should do alright.

as far as front squats I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than a secondary lift. If you want to hit your quads more do sissy squats as a secondary or switch to high bar position with full olympic atg depth. but remember we use the hamstrings more in DG. you still use your quads if you do the low bar position with a "wide" stance. I usually go down until I see my sack bulge my shorts (graphic I know).

and yes about the dudes curling in squat rack, I hate it too. everyday in the gym I am greeted by a loaded bar in "curl position" or "shrug position" in the squat rack. Usually when I am squatting someone is in the rack next to me curling or something stupid. and I can never find big plates near the squat rack. I have to hunt them down. when someone does attempt to squat in the other rack they only barely bend their knees. those guys are ruining their knees.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Peot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 pm

I can never identify with the dudes who have problems eating... Gaining is so much fun. I'm 5'6" and run from 160 to 172 or so depending on how lean I am and what my workout schedule is like. Gained a bunch of weight since I used to wrestle 141.

How do you feel about Olympic lifts? If you want to pursue them at all, adding front squats in the mix will definitely help.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 pm

well my right knee is a bit twerked from DG and going olympic deep tends to aggravate things. also the gym I go to doesn't have bumpers or a platform. I think I'm aiming more towards powerlifting style.

gaining weight is not much fun when you're already 225. couple more pounds and I'm considered obese by the CDC. lulz.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 pm

keltik wrote:did you start the program with an empty bar?

Yea I didn't. I actually started at 65. Failed at 175. Going back over my log I saw a few mistakes like jumping 15 lbs in the second week and starting Deads at 1 plate so thanks for making me go back and look. After looking back at my mistakes I might give SL a go again. I noticed I didn't even start my bench at just bar so I guess it was just inexperience and hubris.

The eating thing is more mental obviously because I hate the feeling of being chubby, and for gains you have to embrace the chub. That and the only way I could get protein was ON Whey shakes. Delicious but those fuckers bloat me up like a whore and I needed 3 a day to keep up with with the 1-1 suggestion. That's 720 Cal in just shakes and to put 4-5 meals on top of that I just couldn't do it.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mzuleger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I don't know the SL 5x5 specifically but muscle grows dur to overloading it so as long as you are tracking your progress and pushing your self EVERY session then you will make gains.

Also, make sure you take a week off to allow your central nervous system to recover (deload) every 4 to 8 weeks.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby mzuleger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm

for the record, my stats:
Current weight: 180lbs
Bodyfat: 8%
bench: 405lbs
Deadlift: 520lbs
Squat: 505lbs
mzuleger