Feel more pressure on lock fingers than index

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Feel more pressure on lock fingers than index

Postby archimedesjs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:12 pm

I've noticed that when I throw, at the hit I can really feel the weight of the disc more on my 3 lock fingers(pinky, ring, middle) than I do on my index finger and thumb. I feel stronger on those 3 fingers, and it feels like that is where the disc is ripping from. Does that mean I am doing something fundamentally wrong with my grip? When I try to pivot with a 2 finger grip it feels extremely weak. I work as an electrician for a living, so I don't think that hand weakness is an issue. The majority of the tasks that need to be performed as an electrician require grip strength(twisting wire nuts, gripping channel-locks, pliers, etc.). I've noticed that when I keep my elbow on a higher plane than the disc I feel stronger with my index finger/thumb grip, but I've yet to do any field practice with that. Is this normal, or is it something wrong with my throwing technique, grip, etc?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Re: Feel more pressure on lock fingers than index

Postby JR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:54 am

Maybe there is some leverage issue in your grip if grip strength varies according to elbow height. How large is your hand and how long your fingers are? Does the ratio of finger pressure between lock and pinch fingers change with discs that have different heights and wing widths and all combinations of those dimensions? Do you use a power grip? How deep is the edge of the disc in the hand and at which height is the rear of the disc and front of the disc seen from the edges of the palm to disc contact? Where is the thumb sideways and back to front on top of the disc? Do you have more grip pressure with the base of the thumb or tip of the thumb? Or do you use the Jenkins grip? Does your index finger tip lie under the thumb or behind or in front of it? What part of the disc does your index finger tip touch and where is the finger print? Do you pinch the disc at all prior to the throw with the index finger? The less i pinch initially the faster the arm moves and once you pinch the disc the harder it will be. Seeing as the fingers aren't fully pressed against the disc and the pinch moves the fingers slightly against the disc so there is momentum helping to tighten the grip. An added bonus of almost dropping the disc initially is that the lock fingers don't squeeze the disc tight. It may or may not be beneficial to have loose lock fingers. I don't know at which distances it pays off to have more grip strength. I don't get a full disc pivot so i lack personal experience. I suspect i'm going in too fast and thus am not able to stop the wrist so the pivot is compromised at the start. So you need to test out going in slower and faster for yourself i have no reliable test results of that subject.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby archimedesjs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm

My hand and fingers are not large, and not small...average size I guess. No, the finger pressure ratio is the same between lock and rip fingers, regardless of the rim. I use a power grip. The disc placement in my hand is just how Blake demonstrates in his grip instructional article on the main page. My thumb is just to the inside of the rim, right about my index finger tip. My finger tip is wedged in the crease between the rim and the plate of the disc. The fingerprint is 1/4 on flight plate, 3/4 on rim. I don't apply much pressure at all until I'm accelerating at the end.
archimedesjs
Noob

Postby MDP » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Thumb should be beyond your pointer finger tip. It should be even or passed the 2nd knuckle on your pointer.

See the picture under "Thumb Forward and Thumb Placement" here:
http://discgolfreview.com/resources/art ... html#thumb

Even though I've read the article dozens of times, I didn't really notice that picture until now. I just grabbed a disc and put my thumb forward and can already feel how this would pivot better.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby archimedesjs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Wow, I read that article at least a dozen times and never noticed that either. It's shown there clear as day not to have your thumb where I put mine. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if there any changes.
archimedesjs
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey i don't like your index finger tip placement much. I think that for me (you need to test out the differences for yourself, because we have different anatomy) having the finger print on the rim and the tip under or touching the flight plate depending on the disc. I don't often try to force the index finger to the flight plate. The tip is where it is based on the outermost joint being at the wing to rim corner.

Please do also try to loosen up your grip with each finger maximally and only grip as you straighten the elbow. I liked the results as long as i wasn't late with the tightening.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:04 am

Hey, I'm just ripping off Blake's advice :P

But yeah, the best grip might not look like the one in the picture. I have short thumbs compared to the rest of my fingers, so even when I get my thumb forward it's not as far as in the pictures.

Like JR said staying loose at the beginning is key.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Technique