(Almost) All Discmania

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

(Almost) All Discmania

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 am

I just won a Discmania ambassador sponsorship, so I'm going to try to put together an (almost) all Discmania bag. I haven't had a chance to throw a lot of DM mids and putters so hopefully you guys more familiar with them can help put me on the right track.

Couple of notes:
1) Driver overlap - Yes I know it's there. The P-PD2 is really there mainly because it is the best sidearm disc I've found by far. I lost the one I was using before and have missed it ever since. S-TD and P-PD probably overlap some too, so I might end up dropping one of those (however, I'm hoping they'll work different lines)
2) CD - Joe's has this in the TeeBird distance range, so I'm going to try them as a fairway driver. I've never not had TeeBirds in my bag so I don't know how well this is going to work...
3) MD2 - Hoping I can find a combo of plastic to cover all mid shots. If not, I may try a GM or an MD1 for the overstable slot.

Drivers:
PD2 C-Line - 175g : Very overstable,
PD2 P-Line ~ 175g : Moderately overstable, long hyzers, sidearm distance
PD C-Line ~ 175g : Moderately overstable, hyzers, flex shots
PD S-Line - 175g : Stable/control
PD P-Line - 168g : Distance, somewhat beat
TD S-Line ~ 170g : Slightly understable, lazer shots, downwind distance
TD C-Line ~ 170g : Moderately understable, turnovers

Fairway:
CD S-Line ~ 175g : Stable/control
CD P-Line ~ 170g : Understable

Midrange:
MD2 C-Line ~ 180g : Moderately overstable
MD2 P-Line ~ 180g : Stable/control
MD2 P-Line ~ 175g : Understable/anhyzer

Putter:
P2 S-Line ~ 175g : Slightly overstable
P2 D-Line ~ 175g : Stable/control
P1 D-Line ~ 170g : Understable
P2 D-Line ~ 170g : Dedicated putter

Utility:
Firebird Champ - 174g : Extremely overstable, spike hyzers, flex sidearm
Leopard SE - 171g : Very understable, escape, standstill/tough lie

"-" = already have
"~" = do not have yet
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: (Almost) All Discmania

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 am

With that S-Line PD do you honestly think you'll be missing a Teebird from your bag THAT bad? I know the PD is usually a little longer but not by a ton. I don't think you'll have that much trouble MDP. No DD in the bag? or DD2? Let us know what you think of the CD, I've had a couple and not been particularly fond of them. I'd rather just make the PD do what I want.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby zj1002 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 am

You probably won't need more than 1 CD if you are carrying PD's and TD's. The CD is like a touchy Valkyrie(take that how you want to). I also agree with Jeronimo that you should look into the DD. It basically falls in between a wraith and teerex. Very easy to control, but find the domey ones, because the flat stars are glideless pieces of crap
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby mattw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am

Congats on winning the Discmania ambassador sponsorship.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Trey133 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 am

MDP!

If I could make a recommendation good sir:

Distance Drivers - Try a P-DD and a echo star or new (look for clears) DD2s for your distance needs in combo with the PD2

Fairways Drivers - Go ahead and look for a TD of your liking, and then work around PD's in different stages of wear. The GOOD CD's are hard to come by.

Midranges - MD2 is the most adaptable middy in their lineup, but try out the MD1 as well. Good and stable! The GM's are very domey, but if you can find a lower domed one, I know they are sought after for their utility and predictability.

Putters - P1 is an Aviar, P2 is less stable than a KC but close and beadless. Feels a little blocky in the hand but is one of my FAVORITE putters : )

Just some info I've found out over the past year since I started adding it in.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

DD sounds good, I'll have to try that out. I threw Wraiths for the longest time (then Destroyers...then messed up my throw).

I have a DD2 that I'm just at the bottom of the power requirement for. I'll probably throw it or another DD2 in the bag for bombs once I figure out my form issues.

How does the P2 compare to Wizards? Haven't thrown an Aviar in 5 years or so. I'm excited to try it as a putter since I think the lack of bead is going to work well for me.

Hmmm...so it sounds like the CD isn't as popular here as a lot of the other Discmania. I may have to try a bag without Fairways. I'll have to work on powering down, since I currently suck at that.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am

Good CDs were the first run CDs. Those things were control discs. I do however like the new ones too, very easy to power down on. And sneeeeeeaaaaaaky long.

P-DDs are great distance discs, flying like a notch more stable Wraith, and if you beat in a P-DD2 it can be devastatingly long. For more control the newer more domey S-DDs are nice and controllable, more HSS than a Wraith and not much more LSS, and have some glide which the FRs lacked. I also have great experiences with the ES and S-DD2s, they've always been very predictable for me. And truth be told, between an equally domey S and ES-Line I couldn't tell them apart based on the flight.

I've been going on and on about how much I love the MD2, check that thread in the equipment section. Do be warned, those P-Lines will take some time before they're beaten to understable, and I haven't found a difference in flight between the 175s and the 180s. The MD1 is really touchy for OAT, even though it is moderately overstable and can handle winds with ease. I recommend the SG-MD1, those things are the least susceptible to OAT. By the way, the D-MD1s usually start out about DX Roc stable and beat in beautifully. Used to be my favorite disc before the MD2.

The GM is a weird disc. The D-Lines start out straight and season into really nice understable mids, while the S-Lines start out moderately overstable and beat into straight. A properly seasoned S-GM can handle similar lines that a P-MD2 will do, but will fly faster and not glide as much. Some start out SERIOUSLY overstable, like Drone overstable. This only seems to last a short while, they loose that initial overstability quickly and return to normal GM form. Still, good discs.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 am

Oh, and the TD and PD both take well to powering down, and the MD2 takes well to powering up.

I'm not sure how to compare the P2 to the Wizard, it's easier to say it's a bit less HSS and finishes straighter than a KC Aviar, meaning it's pretty damn straight and can still take lots of power before turning too much.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Trey133 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 am

If you do make the move out to North Carolina, I'll introduce you to Andy Bowen. He throws GM's (Gremlins) really really far.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 am

jubuttib wrote:Good CDs were the first run CDs. Those things were control discs. I do however like the new ones too, very easy to power down on. And sneeeeeeaaaaaaky long.

P-DDs are great distance discs, flying like a notch more stable Wraith, and if you beat in a P-DD2 it can be devastatingly long. For more control the newer more domey S-DDs are nice and controllable, more HSS than a Wraith and not much more LSS, and have some glide which the FRs lacked. I also have great experiences with the ES and S-DD2s, they've always been very predictable for me. And truth be told, between an equally domey S and ES-Line I couldn't tell them apart based on the flight.

I've been going on and on about how much I love the MD2, check that thread in the equipment section. Do be warned, those P-Lines will take some time before they're beaten to understable, and I haven't found a difference in flight between the 175s and the 180s. The MD1 is really touchy for OAT, even though it is moderately overstable and can handle winds with ease. I recommend the SG-MD1, those things are the least susceptible to OAT. By the way, the D-MD1s usually start out about DX Roc stable and beat in beautifully. Used to be my favorite disc before the MD2.

The GM is a weird disc. The D-Lines start out straight and season into really nice understable mids, while the S-Lines start out moderately overstable and beat into straight. A properly seasoned S-GM can handle similar lines that a P-MD2 will do, but will fly faster and not glide as much. Some start out SERIOUSLY overstable, like Drone overstable. This only seems to last a short while, they loose that initial overstability quickly and return to normal GM form. Still, good discs.

I've definitely read the MD2 thread in it's entirety. I was planning on picking some up even before the contest. I have a decent sidearm and can flick mids and putters so I'm not real reliant on understable stuff.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:18 pm

hate to bust in here and sell something but if one of you needs a stack of P2's, I do have 2 Star and 4 DX. all 7/10+ and all are 171g-175g. Would package up at a cheap price. I am going through something similar with my Millennium switch, and having to scramble to find the discs you need can be rough.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 pm

zj1002 wrote:hate to bust in here and sell something but if one of you needs a stack of P2's, I do have 2 Star and 4 DX. all 7/10+ and all are 171g-175g. Would package up at a cheap price. I am going through something similar with my Millennium switch, and having to scramble to find the discs you need can be rough.

Depending on what they send me, I might be interested but I won't know for a couple of weeks.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm

Congrats on the ambassador deal! I agree that if you end up getting some TD's and PD's in different plastics/stages of wear, that you might not need anything in between that and your MD2's. I used to throw the DD/PD/TD/MD2 setup for a while, but recently switched because I found a need to slow down my bag, so I'm selling a few discs...so I'll be that guy too and try to sell you something:

EDIT: just read your post above. if these dont sell this round, I'll be more than happy to hold them for you till you get your swag pack.

175 S TD - 7/10 - softer plastic than my other one, lower PLH - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160643615112?ss ... 500wt_1203

173 S TD - 7/10 - harder plastic than my other one, higher PLH - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160643615694?ss ... 500wt_1203

180 P MD2 - 8/10 - not showing signs of wear as it flies, yet - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160643616480?ss ... 500wt_1203

178 C MD2 - 8/10 - still flies like it used to - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160643616734?ss ... 500wt_1203
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MDP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Sort of related. Anyone shipped from Finland to US before and have an estimated time? I don't think I'm physically capable of being this excited for new plastic for too long.

Stupid capitalism teaching me to want things...
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby new013 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm

if you want a more os md2 i believe it has been said that the lime green c-lines are more os than the others. i've got one and i f'in love it. congrats on becoming an ambassador.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion