Girls throwing, and Ashley rambles about sidearms

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Girls throwing, and Ashley rambles about sidearms

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:19 am

Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I have been playing for 9 years now, and showing no signs of quitting. It seems there are a lot of questions about girls out there, and of course a lot of misconceptions.

Feel free to ask me any and all questions that you would like. I can't be scared off. Feel free to ask any questions for your wives/girlfriends also.

Just a little background first. I started playing 9 years ago with a 174 teebird, picked it out myself. I have since become much smarter. My current teebird is a 163, which I can throw 250 fairly consistently. I also have a 166 leopard, and a 162 orc that I throw a lot. My go to turnover disc is a 169 roadrunner that I picked up at the gentlemens club tourney in Vegas in 2006. My last pdga rating was an 837 in 2006, but I feel like I have improved dramatically since then.

I live at about 4500 feet elevation, and found through much trial and error that I needed to add about 4-5 grams weight to make my discs do what I wanted at sea level.

So go ahead and ask away!!!(Yes, I am a girl, if you haven't figured that out already)
Last edited by ashley on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Re: Disc golf and Women

Postby Torg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:19 am

Do you have any of those Gentlemans Club Star Wraiths in about 172 g weights to sell?
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 am

What should disc golfers, clubs, national organizations and the PDGA do to get more women to play?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Torg wrote:Do you have any of those Gentlemans Club Star Wraiths in about 172 g weights to sell?

Nope
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I'd like some insight on how to get my wife to hate my addiction...er...hobby...less. She's played a few times and (a) doesn't seem to give a crap (b) doesn't understand my passion for the sport (c) probably doesn't appreciate the time I spend focusing on DG. Any suggestions?
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 pm

MDP wrote:
ashley wrote:Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I have been playing for 9 years now, and showing no signs of quitting. It seems there are a lot of questions about girls out there, and of course a lot of misconceptions.

Feel free to ask me any and all questions that you would like. I can't be scared off. Feel free to ask any questions for your wives/girlfriends also.

Just a little background first. I started playing 9 years ago with a 174 teebird, picked it out myself. I have since become much smarter. My current teebird is a 163, which I can throw 250 fairly consistently. I also have a 166 leopard, and a 162 orc that I throw a lot. My go to turnover disc is a 169 roadrunner that I picked up at the gentlemens club tourney in Vegas in 2006. My last pdga rating was an 837 in 2006, but I feel like I have improved dramatically since then.

I live at about 4500 feet elevation, and found through much trial and error that I needed to add about 4-5 grams weight to make my discs do what I wanted at sea level.

So go ahead and ask away!!!(Yes, I am a girl, if you haven't figured that out already)

What were the biggest things that helped you get to 250'?

My wife plays some, and in the past year or some has become fairly accurate with approaches, but still struggles with distance. She's probably throwing 150-175' max. She has some background in athletics (taekwondo) but a lot of the things I try to help her with just don't click for her.

Lots of field work. What kind of discs is she throwing? I found throwing a 150 valkyrie did the most for me. I could throw it really far, but I had to have a clean throw. I don't throw it a lot anymore just because it is a big S throw for me, and the teebird will fly a lot straighter. I have a friend that does really well throwing cheetahs.

Also, I found just watching a lot of women throwing helped me. Since there aren't a ton of them out here, I spent a lot of time on youtube watching anything I could find. Make sure she is throwing lighter, slower discs. My favorites would be 150 valkyrie, 160 teebird, 160 leopard, and a 160 tl if you can find one. I wouldn't throw an orc until she is throwing farther. I also really like a cobra for approach shots.

Does she throw with a runup? When I first started, I started backwards on the tee, because the xstep was really akward for me. Make sure she is getting her weight forward. I have recently learned to throw a lot farther on a standstill, just by shifting my weight forward as I throw.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:07 pm

bcr123psu wrote:I'd like some insight on how to get my wife to hate my addiction...er...hobby...less. She's played a few times and (a) doesn't seem to give a crap (b) doesn't understand my passion for the sport (c) probably doesn't appreciate the time I spend focusing on DG. Any suggestions?

Buy her a pretty disc that she can throw. Seriously though, if she doesn't get into it, I don't know that you can make her like it. Your best chance is to take her to a pitch and putt type course. I fell in love with the game when we went to Lake Walcott. Most of the back nine are 200-230. It was probably the first course I took a 3 on. Best course to make someone fall in love with the game(Since then I have gotten 2 aces there, so that probably helps)

I have taken my daughter out a few times, last time I took her out she just played from my drive. She really seemed to enjoy it more.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:09 pm

ashley wrote:Lots of field work. What kind of discs is she throwing? I found throwing a 150 valkyrie did the most for me. I could throw it really far, but I had to have a clean throw. I don't throw it a lot anymore just because it is a big S throw for me, and the teebird will fly a lot straighter. I have a friend that does really well throwing cheetahs.

Yeah, she throws lighter, understable stuff for the most part.
DX Archangel 150g
DX Eagle-X 166g (really worn in)
Ch Eagle-L 166g (mostly for windy days or shots that finish left)

She also throws a Buzzz and an Element and she basically gets her mids as far as her drivers.

ashley wrote:Also, I found just watching a lot of women throwing helped me. Since there aren't a ton of them out here, I spent a lot of time on youtube watching anything I could find. Make sure she is throwing lighter, slower discs. My favorites would be 150 valkyrie, 160 teebird, 160 leopard, and a 160 tl if you can find one. I wouldn't throw an orc until she is throwing farther. I also really like a cobra for approach shots.

From watching videos it also looks like a lot of women have a higher pull line.

ashley wrote:Does she throw with a runup? When I first started, I started backwards on the tee, because the xstep was really akward for me. Make sure she is getting her weight forward. I have recently learned to throw a lot farther on a standstill, just by shifting my weight forward as I throw.

She doesn't like using the x-step so most of the time (which she calls a "grape-vine") she does stand still. She says she feels out of control when using a run up. Maybe showing her some videos of Des Reading would help since she doesn't use a run up a lot either.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:35 pm

MDP wrote:
ashley wrote:Lots of field work. What kind of discs is she throwing? I found throwing a 150 valkyrie did the most for me. I could throw it really far, but I had to have a clean throw. I don't throw it a lot anymore just because it is a big S throw for me, and the teebird will fly a lot straighter. I have a friend that does really well throwing cheetahs.

Yeah, she throws lighter, understable stuff for the most part.
DX Archangel 150g
DX Eagle-X 166g (really worn in)
Ch Eagle-L 166g (mostly for windy days or shots that finish left)

She also throws a Buzzz and an Element and she basically gets her mids as far as her drivers.

ashley wrote:Also, I found just watching a lot of women throwing helped me. Since there aren't a ton of them out here, I spent a lot of time on youtube watching anything I could find. Make sure she is throwing lighter, slower discs. My favorites would be 150 valkyrie, 160 teebird, 160 leopard, and a 160 tl if you can find one. I wouldn't throw an orc until she is throwing farther. I also really like a cobra for approach shots.

From watching videos it also looks like a lot of women have a higher pull line.

ashley wrote:Does she throw with a runup? When I first started, I started backwards on the tee, because the xstep was really akward for me. Make sure she is getting her weight forward. I have recently learned to throw a lot farther on a standstill, just by shifting my weight forward as I throw.

She doesn't like using the x-step so most of the time (which she calls a "grape-vine") she does stand still. She says she feels out of control when using a run up. Maybe showing her some videos of Des Reading would help since she doesn't use a run up a lot either.

I would definitely add a leopard to her bag. Also, if she just works on shifting her weight forward as she throws, it should add some distance to her game. The run up was awkward for me in the beginning too, but if she works in the field on it, it should feel more comfortable. Even if she just starts backwards, it will help a lot.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Negatory. 100% female here. My pdga # is 25762 if you want to look it up, although it hasn't been active since 2006. I am looking to play the halloween classic this year if all goes according to plan. My home course is Art Dye in American Fork(about 15 minutes from where I live) I was semi active on the pdga board years ago as chicinutah.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I have a serious question: what do you think when men give you "advice" on the course?

oh and kudos for your parrying of Poth. Ray is a bit more skilled at verbal fencing. I wish you luck with his textual onslaught.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 pm

man this thread is gonna get way smaller in the morning.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Which ladies hand bag designer would make the best DG bag? Durability + fashion. Go.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 am

keltik wrote:I have a serious question: what do you think when men give you "advice" on the course?

oh and kudos for your parrying of Poth. Ray is a bit more skilled at verbal fencing. I wish you luck with his textual onslaught.

Usually I don't mind it. I started playing with all guys, so I have gotten a lot of good advice over the years. I am always open to advice from a better player than me. The best part is the guys like to give me all their old plastic when it becomes too understable for them, I have received some of my favorite discs this way.

My biggest struggle is trying to figure out a sidearm, no matter how many times I try, it is not something I am good at. I can now use it 80 feet in with pretty good accuracy, but beyond that, it sucks. So any advice is welcome there.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:59 am

BrotherDave wrote:Which ladies hand bag designer would make the best DG bag? Durability + fashion. Go.

Good question. I keep hearing that women don't like to carry a lot of discs, but I am not one of them. I am currently drooling over the purple carolina bag from revolution. I am not a purse girl, so I don't feel qualified to answer this one.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion