New video uploaded

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New video uploaded

Postby Whiz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 am

Great video Brad. I actually have been having this same revelation in my own throw. I was finding the less I opened my shoulders the better I was able to snap the disc and get it to rotate around my index and thumb. What I was actually doing was throwing with my back against a fence, preventing my shoulders from opening past 90 degrees. I think what is interesting about your pointing about not spinning on the plant foot is that, in my opinion, the plant foot actually serves to stop your rotation. I have been messing with slowing the shoulders down so the arm will swing out naturally and the only way to do so (slow/pause the shoulders) seems to be a plant step that is firm and not spinning. Only in the follow through does it seem that the plant foot should be pivoting to point toward the target.

I feel that this video of Avery really demonstrates this point. Notice how his right foot (toe specifically) is pointing 90 degrees left of the target until basically the follow through. The shoulders have to pause in order for the lower arm to swing out with the momentum provided by the hips, torso and shoulders.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for the great video Brad and I am glad to hear I am on the right track.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby JR » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks for the video Bradley. I've delayed the foot pivot and shoulder turn lately automatically, when i concentrated on pushing the elbow farther toward the target prior to the elbow chop. With less, but some, emphasis on keeping the thumb pointed away from the target as long as possible.

I had noticed from a high speed video that my form had deteriorated in that i wasn't getting the elbow out far enough. I was doing a bent elbow form and with an early shoulder rotation and foot pivot spinning to follow through early on. When i managed to delay the shoulder rotation and foot pivot long enough to get the elbow forward all those practice points combined gave me more D.

I tried active wrist snap too, but i am really lacking in stopping the wrist after the active wrist snap. I may be too late in trying to apply the brakes in the wrist once it goes actively plus passively past neutral left-right wise. Active wrist snap didn't give so much extra D that i could say for sure if it gave me added D. The differences between throws were so small, the winds varied and i had too few repetitions to determine anything.

I think it is time to revisit right then left pec drills concentrating on elbow moving forward and delaying the shoulders and leg pivot accordingly. Once this darn cold lets me. The weather is going awry fast.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 am

Whiz wrote:G I was finding the less I opened my shoulders the better I was able to snap the disc and get it to rotate around my index and thumb.

Your shoulders will open, just much much later than sooner... It allows the arm and wrist geometry to develop...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:33 am

If you are on Facebook "like" my page. I will be posting all of the vids and articles I find useful there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disc-Golf-Walker-Sound-Music-Co/198705460154016
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 am

Facebook makes for a wonderful format for instruction BTW. It allows for all kinds of sharing...
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 am

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Redisculous » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:43 am

Soo... Are you saying that opening the shoulers doesn 't add to the rip, or just stressing that it happens much later than most think?

Edit: a while ago you compared moving the shoulder to moving the handle of a fishing pole saying you didn't need to move it much, just with the right timing in order to get the end to whip back and forth. Is that kind of what you were getting at with the "ever so slightly" comment in your video?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Redisculous wrote:Soo... Are you saying that opening the shoulers doesn 't add to the rip, or just stressing that it happens much later than most think?

Edit: a while ago you compared moving the shoulder to moving the handle of a fishing pole saying you didn't need to move it much, just with the right timing in order to get the end to whip back and forth. Is that kind of what you were getting at with the "ever so slightly" comment in your video?

Yes, I'd say that's it...

Oh the shoulder opens. It is like the little bit the hand moves when spinning a rope... Small motion at the hub equals faster motion at the diameter.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Can you see those pics from Facebook?
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Apothecary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm

woah you a amputee?!?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Apothecary wrote:woah you a amputee?!?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's Garrett Gurthie...
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Redisculous » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I can but anybody who doesn't have a fb account or isn't logged in may not be able to.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby mshelton » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm

So what happened on the one that sailed right and over the fence, looks like some of my recent throws?
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 pm

It's nice to see you back on here posting some good stuff Bradley. Thanks. 8)
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

PreviousNext

Return to Technique