Success Stories

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Success Stories

Postby zj1002 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 am

Exactly what Blurr said. You have no weight shift(or meanigful shift). There doesn't appear to be any considerable late acceleration. The end of the throw needs to be powerful. You slow down
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 am

so...
who wants to hit ewing one of these days and drop some knowledge?

found my video camera so if i remember to bring it out to the course tomorrow ill grab a few vids of my current throw.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby BLURR » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:20 am

InvaderMirO wrote:so...

found my video camera so if i remember to bring it out to the course tomorrow ill grab a few vids of my current throw.

I am hoping to be out there on Thursday afternoon/evening. Perhaps we can throw a few before the BW league starts.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:32 pm

BLURR wrote:
InvaderMirO wrote:so...

I am hoping to be out there on Thursday afternoon/evening. Perhaps we can throw a few before the BW league starts.

sounds good, ill send ya a PM later. i play hockey on thrusday nights but i can't turn down an opportunity to launch a few.
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:35 am

Still been playing more and more lately.

Average score at grandview is now ALWAYS par or below. which this more than anything is what im considering success. this was my goal at the start of this season with my scores most always being 10-18 over par.

played grandview just the other day and did a bag swap with the one of my good friends who i have played with for the past year.
the idea was pretty basic, we play together a lot and always see each other throw our discs and think... dam, i bet i could rip that disc.

so yesterday at hole one we simply switched.
a brief summery of my bag was needed for him as i don't throw the typical "All innova plus a Wizard/Buzz bag" that everyone else in des moines seems to be rocking these days.

he throws.
Rhino / Yeti Aviar(used to be mine)
Gator / Buzz / BuzzSS
Firebird / Teebird / Destroyer / AvengerSS

i throw
Ion / KC Aviar
Gator / Vector / Axis / Fuse
Trident / River / Beast
S-PD / SurgeSS / Flow / Katana

i ended up finishing -2, even using someone elses bag. most of this can be attributed to grandview being all about "Hitting" your gaps/lines and less about knowing your disc.
though i started to think maybe i need to giveup the trident for the firebird, the firebird just seemed to carry forward so much more while still holding its turn, where my trident turns over very fast into a crash and burn.
the part of the game that was interesting was the approach shots. i don't think i ever used the BuzzSS and he only threw my Vector once. ALL other midrange shots were handled by the Gator. this likely being because we both carry one and were just looking for *something* that felt comfortable. And we both throw a hyzer spike WHENEVER available. I don't play with enough other people to really know if this is how its supposed to be done, but both of us will hyzer spike every time the line is available, if it can be reached with a firebird/gator then thats what you will see thrown.

things learned
Gators are amazingly consistent. having the low glide + predictable fade = comfortable approach every time.
Rhino is like a Gator but as a putter. i might be picking one of these up to try out for a while as this was easy to putt and easy to approach with.
if you play and use someone elses bag, only throw one disc. we had to walk back so many times to pick up discs we forgot.

tl:dr - playing a lot, trying different stuff, improving!
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm

played best round of my life yesterday.
shot -7 at grandview, my previous best being maybe -2 or -3.

was playing steady par golf for the front 9, sitting at -2 going into whole 12 (which for those who know grandview, this is a rough hole to par)
well at hole 12 i started playing outta my mind.
first drive on 12 was on the facing side of the hill as usual, something like 350 shot.
then the 2nd shot i sink a 150 foot hyzer spike with my Trident. this is setting me now at -3 and was the ONLY time i will likely ever birdie this hole as its not possible to reach the basket in 1 shot.

after that it started a 5 birdie spree. following 2 holes i parked within about 10 feet of the basket.
long anhyzer shot with Beast on 13
straight shot with Axis on 14
hit basket(number on top) with Ion on 15, also parked extra drive with Axis right up under it.
hit basket(bottom of pole) with Ion on 16.

finishing out the last 2 with solid pars.

very excited to have brought my starting season scores of +10ish down into the -5ish range.
a lot of this i would have to say is related to the wealth of knowledge on this site.
putting technique, shot selection, disc selection, wind adjustments, driving form.

i still have a lot to improve on, which sadly will have to be put on a temporary hold as with change in work hours i will likely have to reserve disc for the weekends only till winter.

i want to upload a video of my drives/mid/putts soon for critique. one for a point of reference for next season, and 2 so i can review it against others form over the winter and hopefully make the start of next season feel a little bit smoother.

Thanks Disc Golf Review! your rock!
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 am

Rock on! Congratulations :D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique