Going right, and right, right yet again

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Going right, and right, right yet again

Postby mshelton » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Ok, I have been plagued by this for a while now, I thought I had it mostly under control but it tends to creep back in every now and again...launching throws to the right.

First I had read some things and answers to others questions that it may be caused by starting the pull before planting the lead foot. I'm still a wee bit early, starting the pull as the foot touches so I decided to go back to some right pec drills and try and build it backwards. The problem is out of close to 100 pec drills I had well over half go right, not bend right but start right. The only thing I can describe it as my shoulders blowing open and pulling everything about 15 deg right. Now I realize that all I have been doing recently is a band aid on this by forcing myself to lean over and stay solidly closed but this leads to throwing everything with a good bit of hyzer and relying on flippy stuff to get a straight throw and is forming a bad habit of throwing from under my arm. For all this, it does not produce consistent results and still has the sling open right hand blast o rama special followed in turn by the short walk of shame to my landing spot off a nearby tree.

So I'm wondering, can anyone give me some kind of idea to keep in mind or a reference point I can focus on to help me get back on track. As I said, it happens on drives, right pec drills and heck even in long puts. It's driving me nuts and I need to fix it as apposed to continually masking it with bandaids.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Re: Going right, and right, right yet again

Postby Apothecary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:21 pm

aim left. :\
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby mshelton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 am

I'd rather have a midget with a bamboo training sword follow me around the course and beat me in the shoulder blade every time I open up and sling something to the right.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22991

watch the video that Bradley Walker just posted in this thread. he has an ability to easily communicate some points which are missed in the Beto videos. You seem to understand that The concept he talks about is easily overlooked. Watch this, and work on it. If shit still ain't working, we can go from there
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby mshelton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 am

I watched it closer, seems there may be something there, he's at the 45deg where I'm close to parallel.

Now for the recent monsoon to stop so I can get out to work on it.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I used to have this problem BAD. I realized I was coming way across my left side and letting go right. I have a tendency to pull too far left, so I almost have to picture myself pulling back towards the right. Also, the more I try to pull back the worse it is. Just let it happen. Have you taken a video of your throw? I didn't realize how bad it was until I watched a video.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby fanter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm

mshelton wrote:I'm close to parallel.

That's something I was doing for a long while and I experienced all sorts of accuracy issues. Planting the way BW does ought to help you out.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MDP » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Wooo! I'm in this boat too...

This has been the single biggest issue to my progression as a player (well...maybe after putting). I just can't seem to throw straight forward on command.

What a lot of people here at DGR told me to work on was pausing my shoulder rotation until the disc reached the power zone (right pec). BW's new drill is a way to practice just that. Shoulders should go from closed during the reach back to neutral during the pull, only beginning to open in the power zone. At the hit the should only be slightly open.

The closed pivot foot plant is something that helps as well-helps keep your shoulders from flying open.. I've noticed there are a number of pros who do this quite drastically (EMac and Nikko) unless they're throwing hyzers.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Technique