Bent Elbow vs. Straight arm

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which do you throw? Bent elbow or Straight?

Bent Elbow
45%
Straight
55%

Total votes : 20

Bent Elbow vs. Straight arm

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:59 am

I know this subject has been covered quite a bit but I am looking at switching to the bent elbow technique. In a ton of the videos I have watched recently I have seen many players throw huge bombs and very accurate shots with the bent elbow technique. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the two techniques and if switching either way has helped their distance and or accuracy. I think the transition for me will be difficult but I think it will help out a lot. Ok time for the input to roll in!

:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:40 pm

very few people throw with a perfectly straight arm...

and there are a lot of people that throw mids/putters bent elbow but throw drivers with a more straight reach back...

i'm a partially bent when throwing drivers, very bent when throwing mids/putters.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:52 pm

i tried switching to a bent elbow a while back for the same reasons. It didnt quite work. I dont usually pull all the way back I lost all my rythm and was not able to get it back without going back to an almost full pull back. I currently have no complaints with my throw physically. My biggest problem with distance and even bigger for accuracy is when I lose focus I forget to lay out my foot work prior to my throw. Its rare for me to runup a tee pad straight, im usually coming from the back left to the front right. and oppisite for the rare anny release or forhand.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Smyith » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:57 pm

i guess apparently i have always been using bent elbow. thats how i was taught, i have tried throwing with a straighter arm and it was weak.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:33 am

I'm not sure what I'm using. It seems like we'd all have to bend the elbow somewhat. I should of worked on it last week. I'm gonna focus on bent elbow for my mid game, I think as I'm still having trouble, but I think my main trouble with mids is grip.

I've gone to a grip where my index and little finger are gripping the disc and the middle and ring finger are splayed out. It was working with my demon, hard to tell on the buzz as it doesn't respond well to 35mph winds.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:27 am

Unless you are throwing with some serious hyzer with a buzz in the wind, it will go all willy-nilly.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:52 am

Yeah, I've come to realize that. Also, I like the buzz because it can be thrown low, but on occasions it seems to gain altitude on me. Is this due to the wind?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:51 am

If the wind hits the bottom of the flight plate at all, it will lift it.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 am

Weebl wrote:If the wind hits the bottom of the flight plate at all, it will lift it.

Does that mean I'm getting the nose up?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

bent elbow vs straight

Postby Toney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 pm

I prefer slightly bent for drives. This allows me to get the disc closer to my body on throws, a technique that recently has adding distance. On midrange and long putting, I suspect my elbow is a bit more bent.

toney
Toney
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:04 am

I had something come to mind that applies to this thread. Several years ago, I had an older gentleman work with me on keeping my arm more bent. He didn't say anything about distance or style though. He had torn some cartilage in his ribs from not keeping his arm close to his body on throws and was passing this on to the "younger" players so that it wouldn't happen to us.

He also worked with me on my hyzers and hyzer flips (which he called his right to left shots). Too bad he moved away.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique