Ignoring my current bag thread for now...

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ignoring my current bag thread for now...

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 pm

jubuttib wrote:I was always wondering about why they rated the MD1 the same as a Shark, its definitely more stable, much more like a Roc. About the CD ratings, I checked Discmania's Finnish store site, because they don't really bother to update old discs that often, and it still had the old 9, 5, -1, 2 ratings. On their new international site it's rated 10, 5, -1, 2. Still, the SL and Viking have the exact same ratings apart from the one step in speed (not that ratings are a useful way to judge discs, since they're often wrong). Yours must have been an anomaly, they definitely aren't meant to be stable. Wouldn't be surprised if it was miss-stamped.

Good job on the Valkyrie, throwing a disc that's already seasoned usually gives you a better picture of what the disc is going to be like to live with.

Yeah, when I was looking for "parallel" discs, speed was the first thing I looked at, and found something with the closest fade/turn/glide ratings within the same speed. I know they aren't always accurate and such but they at least give me a starting spot. However this was also several years ago and before I knew a whole lot about things. And I was mistaken on the SL=PD, I believe the closest I saw at the time was the Starfire and just remembered wrong... Not the same disc either way, I know, but it was the only way I could make sense of these discs I couldn't even get my hands on at the time...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Back to the topic... IF I wind up still not liking the Valk, where is another direction I could head. I must say I am getting wonderful movement out of my Roadrunner and getting it to flip out of a hyzer better than I ever have before, but I don't know if it'll be enough to cover for me. Since I like Schultz's Leos, maybe I should give his Beasts a try as well? Or would the TD be a better place to try first?

PS, thanks for answering all of my stupid hypothetical questions, especially you jubuttib since you've been giving so much feedback. I know that you guys can't know for sure what will/won't work for me seeing as how you've never even seen me throw, but its always helpful to have someone else point you in other directions or tell you whether your thoughts are reasonable or not...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 pm

No problem. Let's see how the Valk thing works, and if it doesn't, why it doesn't work. We'll know more then. The TD will basically be a beefier Roadrunner, and if you're having trouble controlling the turn of the Roadrunner (flipping it too much) the TD could work better. If you run into a situation where you more specifically know why those discs don't work for you it's going to be easier to recommend something. Basically the reason I suggested the Valkyrie is because it's the most established and widely thrown distance driver at that speed range, and will give a good baseline.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 am

Will do... I think this Valk might be a little heavy for my tastes sadly. PIAS "lost" their scale (another guy asked when I walked in and was told it grew legs and walked out last weekend...) this one was marked 170 but I weighed it when I got back to work and it was 172. I don't know if I put too much stock into weights but I usually like my drivers in the 167-169 range. I don't know if I'm getting much more distance out of this one compared to my leos and teebirds or not but I'll hit a field with all of the sometime in the next week or so and find out.

Edit: Oh, and the RR isn't uncontrolable, I would infact say its very controlable for me... It has a lot of turn but I can hyzer it differently and get lots of nice things out of it.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 am

Then the TD should be pretty straight for you, and slightly overstable if you get a stiff one.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:11 am

I don't know if you took what I said the right way or not, but I wasn't saying the Roadrunner was stable, its quite understable for me, but its not an uncontrolable thing... But I actually like understable discs because of all the movement I get out of them. But I can throw it hyzer, have it flip out and still get a good right turn out of it, so its not stable by any means and I wouldn't want t throw it into a headwind at all... The Valk flies pretty stable for me right now... not much different than my teebird right now distance wise. They go about the same difference but the teebird goes straight there while the Valk turns to the right and then fades back rather hard on the end... Don't know how well this one is that broken in watching the flight pattern of it, but it could also be the extra weight?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 am

I understood, but the TD is pretty straight overall, much straighter than a Roadrunner. =)

BTW FWIW, I got a very slightly used 172 DX TB yesterday, and was trying it out today (along with a proto disc I received today). My best throws in light wind conditions (it was very swirly, can't say if it was head, tail or side wind at any given moment) were just over 400', and I wasn't really throwing huge distance lines. The TB is a damned long disc. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

Yeah, but I'm not throwing them 400 either :-P I think I MAY have gotten the valk out over 300 yesterday, but I'm not positive... I also throw most of my shots 5-7 ft apex max... I don't like throwing them higher up. I've not mastered the whole throwing high with nose down stuff... So I think that robs me of a little distance. I'm getting much better speed and movement off the discs now, so I know I'm heading in the right direction. This (low line throws) is also reason why I went from a Roc to the MD2 as my go-to mid and why I was interested in the Valk to start with, because I know they do well on lower lines as well.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 am

jubuttib wrote:I understood, but the TD is pretty straight overall, much straighter than a Roadrunner. =)

BTW FWIW, I got a very slightly used 172 DX TB yesterday, and was trying it out today (along with a proto disc I received today). My best throws in light wind conditions (it was very swirly, can't say if it was head, tail or side wind at any given moment) were just over 400', and I wasn't really throwing huge distance lines. The TB is a damned long disc. =)

Yeah, TBs rock. The 375' average in my Sig is from my old school bar stamp that is stable with less than 10' fade at the end. Its at least 15' longer than my champs due to lack of fade.

I'd agree that TD's are pretty straight overall (when new is all I can speak to) and about 5-10% longer than my average champ TB. I hucked my newish 175 TD in practice yesterday hard and flat downwind and it didn't turn a foot for 85% of its flight and faded late about 20'. Again, it was downwind 10mph and I usually throw distance with 170ish or less. If you like to hyzer flip, get a lighter used one.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:PIAS "lost" their scale (another guy asked when I walked in and was told it grew legs and walked out last weekend...)

Haha I think I am the "other guy" that you are talking about. PIAS on Pineville Matthews? I'm 6'3'' with brown hair (if that helps). I got in there and wanted to weigh a disc and when I asked where the scale was, they realized it was gone. Was that the conversation you walked in on?

TD's are definitely going to be straighter flying than a valk, and might not differ too much on fade. If you want to try two of them out (one stiff and one soft), I can meet you in south Charlotte for a round.

Do you happen to play in the Chuckers League?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:PIAS "lost" their scale (another guy asked when I walked in and was told it grew legs and walked out last weekend...)

Haha I think I am the "other guy" that you are talking about. PIAS on Pineville Matthews? I'm 6'3'' with brown hair (if that helps). I got in there and wanted to weigh a disc and when I asked where the scale was, they realized it was gone. Was that the conversation you walked in on?

TD's are definitely going to be straighter flying than a valk, and might not differ too much on fade. If you want to try two of them out (one stiff and one soft), I can meet you in south Charlotte for a round.

Haha, I didn't pay attention to who it was, but it was around a little after 11 yesterday in Pineville. Sounds about right. I don't play in any Leagues, trying to learn how to throw first :-P I meet up wtih the Rock Hill DGC sometimes on Tuesday nights for some rounds and such but that's about it.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:

Haha, I didn't pay attention to who it was, but it was around a little after 11 yesterday in Pineville. Sounds about right. I don't play in any Leagues, trying to learn how to throw first :-P I meet up wtih the Rock Hill DGC sometimes on Tuesday nights for some rounds and such but that's about it.

Oh, that wasn't me. It was last week sometime. I think I was the first person to notice it was missing. You should definitely come out to the Chuckers League at Elon Park. We meet at 10am to play, and tee off around 10:30. It's a beginners league, with payouts for the top 50% finishers (handicap and raw score). It's a really fun league and not overly competitive. It's where I started progressing in my game - a lot of the guys are there to help you improve. It's $5 to join the league and $6 to play each time. Come on out tomorrow. Its not too far from you. Ask for Tyler (that's me).
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:

Oh, that wasn't me. It was last week sometime. I think I was the first person to notice it was missing. You should definitely come out to the Chuckers League at Elon Park. We meet at 10am to play, and tee off around 10:30. It's a beginners league, with payouts for the top 50% finishers (handicap and raw score). It's a really fun league and not overly competitive. It's where I started progressing in my game - a lot of the guys are there to help you improve. It's $5 to join the league and $6 to play each time. Come on out tomorrow. Its not too far from you. Ask for Tyler (that's me).

Sorry but I won't be able to make it... typically can't make it out on Saturday mornings as wife has dibs for my time. We've got 2 different family reunions this Saturday to attend :/ Weekday evenings are typically my only time to play these days and with that I typically don't like leaving Rock Hill being tired from work and all...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Gotcha. I hear you on the wife thing. Mine lets me have Saturday morning till lunch for my league because I never really get to play on weekday evenings. Anyway, if you ever make it up, be sure to look for me.

PM me next time you head up this way for a round. I'll do the same if I go down your way.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Valk is good so far, only thing I might not like is the fade is a little strong on the end for my tastes... Might be weight issues, might just need some more breaking in... Good throws seem to be getting it out over 300 ft which is pretty good for me...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion