Ashley's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ashley's bag

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:50 pm

This is the current set up I have.

The oldies but goodies

167 champ firebird(9 years)I actually lost this one, and she came back after being gone for a year
162 champ orc (8 years)
175 champ rhyno (9 years)
166 ce leopard(5 years) came to me very seasoned
169 roadrunner(5 years) has become a much bigger staple to my bag in the last 2 years

The newer and growing on me

163 start teebird just made it's way in in the last year
170 champ starfire mostly for when I play the wind factory
163 star valkyrie- replaced my 150 valkyrie this year
168 champ tee bird- hyzer shots
172 tl heavier than the 166 I retired, but more beat in
158 vulcan- some of my best drives, but still learning

The Mids
176 cobra
180 06 eye roc
175 kc pro aviar- quickly becoming my #1 putter

Something to note- I play at 4500 ft elevation, and have found I usually add about 4 grams when I go to lower elevations.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Re: Ashley's bag

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

I am up for any suggestions for discs I might do well with. I had a cyclone in my bag for years that sadly cracked. I don't throw 100% Innova for any other reason than that's 90% or more of what people throw around here. I just don't know anything about discraft besides throwing the cyclone and throwing a buzz.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby Monocacy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I suggest fitting the discs in your bag into the format suggested below:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6864

You will probably find a fair amount of overlap (e.g., Roadrunner, Valkyrie, Vulcan). The trick is to limit the number of different molds that you carry by picking the disc that works best for you in each category. Learning the ins and outs of each mold helps with line-shaping and consistency. Suggestions:

1. Stable Control Drivers
TL

2. Distance Drivers
Valkyrie, Roadrunner, Vulcan – pick one (I suggest Valk or Roadrunner)

3. Understable Driver
Leopard

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Teebirds, Starfire, Orc – pick one (I suggest Teebird)

5. Very Overstable Driver
Firebird (although you might want to give the Banshee a try)

Mids:
Roc
Cobra

Putters:
Aviar
Rhyno

I look forward to seeing what you do with your bag, and how it works for you.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby ashley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 pm

Monocacy wrote:I suggest fitting the discs in your bag into the format suggested below:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6864

You will probably find a fair amount of overlap (e.g., Roadrunner, Valkyrie, Vulcan). The trick is to limit the number of different molds that you carry by picking the disc that works best for you in each category. Learning the ins and outs of each mold helps with line-shaping and consistency. Suggestions:

1. Stable Control Drivers
TL

2. Distance Drivers
Valkyrie, Roadrunner, Vulcan – pick one (I suggest Valk or Roadrunner)

3. Understable Driver
Leopard

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Teebirds, Starfire, Orc – pick one (I suggest Teebird)

Firebird (although you might want to give the Banshee a try)

Mids:
Roc
Cobra

Putters:
Aviar
Rhyno

I look forward to seeing what you do with your bag, and how it works for you.

1. Stable Control Driver
TL

2.Distance Driver
Valkyrie

3.Understable Driver
Leopard
Roadrunner

4.Moderately Overstable
Teebird

Firebird

Mids
Roc
Cobra

Putters
Rhyno
Aviar

What should I use of those for my wind disc?
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby Monocacy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 pm

ashley wrote:What should I use of those for my wind disc?

Firebird or Champ Teebird should handle wind nicely. A 150 Champ Teebird will hold a low hyzer into 20-30 mph headwinds. Heck, I throw a 150 Star Valk at most headwinds. As your FH develops you will find it very useful on windy days, because you can choose FH or BH to avoid exposing the underside of the disc to a crosswind.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Many of the discs you carry are fast or very overstable for 4500' of altitude at 270' with good rips. Even the lower weights on some of the discs go only so far. I imagine there are winds and lots of elevation changes on the courses you play. There a light weight disc may be a liability. That is why it is a good thing to also have a heavier disc for the same role of the same mold. So the TBs at different weights are a natural pair. Lighter for general use and heavier for winds and steep long downhills that may have the lighter one to float away if it ain't flat or thrown with a slow hyzer that glides down hyzered all the way. You have good discs already and you could make a good bag with those alone. The only thing that comes to mind right now that could help you is a mid or a tweener with low power requirement for uphills and getting out of trouble shots. Comet, Squall, Kite come to mind off the top of my head and Dart is a shorter tweener between a putter and a mid in distance where the Squall is between a mid and a FW driver. Kite is weird with the über glide i tossed on to as far as i can throw a Leopard. Tremendous glide of the Kite raises it up higher so it is great for throwing over obstacles and uphill.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:37 am

I feel pretty good with this latest set up. Although the vulcan is fun to throw, and i have had some really good throws with it, I don't see it doing well on a tight course. I think I will add the 168 champ teebird to the bag.

As far as a tweener, I don't usually have many shots where I can't get there with a teebird, roc, or rhyno combo. However, I was thinking of adding in a spider. What do you think?
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Beefy no glide. Not beefy in the sense that it would fade hard like most Rhynos will. At your power i would think every Rhyno fades fairly hard. I always suggest to people that to further all skills and utility shots a hot rod disc should be carried. While your 150 Valk is in that direction the Vulcan might work even better for throwing over trees and distance from a place where you have limited space to move and can't generate normal power levels.

Spider for me needs a little hyzer to flip to flat for you it may be a flat release flat flight disc in DX. I wouldn't go to premium plastic with the Spider. It is good for you in the winds i would think. DX is better grip wise in wet and cold conditions. DX Spider should not have durability issues at your power, because it is a durable design structurally. At least if you don't play rocky courses. Spider will be short until you can throw around 370' it glides so little. I'm concerned about the fitting in of the Spider to the rest of your bag. What role were you planning for it? It is such a short mid that it may not differ that much from the Rhyno distance wise for you. The fade of the Spider should be milder for you but i imagine it will fade more for you than me so the difference between a Rhyno and a Spider at your power may not be that big. There might be overlap issues. Depending on how far and with what kind of flight path you throw Rocs there might be overlap between a Spider and a Roc. Both can be straight the Spider is just shorter with the lack of glide.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:02 pm

My Rhyno is definitely still stable, but I wouldn't say overstable. It has been in my bag since day one. The spider I speak of is definitely at least a hair understable. It is a champion spider that has seen it's share of red rock in southern utah. That will take a lot of stability off of any disc. It is definitely less stable than my roc. My roc is still fairly new, didn't throw it much the first few years, and is definitely more stable than the rhyno.

If I had to rate all four on stability it would go
1.roc
2. rhyno
3. spider
4. cobra
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 am

I'm afraid that the Spider would overlap in some ways with each of those discs then. You can pull off all of the flights that don't need glide with the beat Rhyno. And all the rest with the other discs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JHern » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:31 pm

I would try to stick with the Cyclone and Buzzz in the future. Great discs. You can get an X-plastic Cyclone that will beat up and become under-stable with time, and an ESP Cyclone that will stay stable for a long time. My wife and I are both throwing ESP Cyclones...a lot! Her clone is 163.

The Buzzz is simply the best disc made by Discraft. Period. Nothing else comes close.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Postby JR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:19 am

Some ESP Cyclones fade way early and hard and are short for even 400' throwers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I think I found the missing disc for my bag yesterday. I have a 174 kc roc that was filling the gap I was looking for nicely. The champion roc is my most stable, then the rhyno, then the kc roc . I was throwing all my mids out around 200. I was talking to my husband yesterday, and he was also recommending a buzz, or a challenger.

I am throwing my mids so much better than I was even a year ago, so I imagine I will be throwing a lot more of them in the future.

I believe that the cylcone I used to have was discrafts equivalent of dx, would that be the x plastic? I loved that disc and was so sad when it finally cracked.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Pro D corresponds to DX X to Pro ESP to Star and Z to Champion. Buzzz is eaier to grip than Roc but if the Roc works for you don't change it. Beware of the slickness of the KC though when wet. Buzzz Z ain't much better. ESP would cover all weather conditions and is durable and won't fade hard. X beats in to more understable fast and it starts out slightly understable for 400' thrower so it may be sweet for you in the straightness department. Buzzzes are faster and longer than Rocs and can be thrown lower for maximum distance on a line drive. Rocs are more predictable in rear winds. Not having big snap my experiences may vary from the majority, but i've come across more bad Rocs than great ones and medium Rocs aren't as good in the headwinds as Z Buzzzes. You need a great KC Roc to try to compete in headwinds. And compete they do for me and don't lose much at all..
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:13 pm

you might want to give the gate way scouts a try. the e scouts are as stable as roc in my opinion and and stnd up in wind well the s scout is like an x buzz and shapeline really well. The e scout is doomy shorter and fade real consistantly and the s is flat and fast for a mid. Another disc i find my self using a ton since i injured my arm is the star wedge. i can throw it 300' with almost no effort and it hold the line you put it on. it is a total finesse disc but is great for touch and 150'-200' approaches
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion