Looking for feedback

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for feedback

Postby tjmpsu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Finally got some video of myself throwing and I'd really like some feedback on what I need to fix/best drills or mental tricks to fixing it. All of these throws are with slightly seasoned DX Rocs. The quality isn't great (had to use my Droid), but I tried to get a decent amount of footage from the side and back angles. Right away I can tell that my reach back is almost non-existent, there's something wrong with my shoulder positioning, and that there's almost no acceleration happening in my throw. Just wondering if I'm on the right track and where to start fixing this stuff. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=329KuZWZd68
tjmpsu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Looking for feedback

Postby MDP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Biggest thing is you don't really have a weight shift. On the majority of your followthroughs your right leg doesn't even make it past your left (plant) leg.

It looks fairly smooth which is a good start, just need to kick-start your acceleration through the power zone (chest to hit) with a weight shift. Focus on getting your weight over your plant foot. You can watch Avery give a nice example:

You're right about the reach back. You're shoulders aren't getting turned away from the target. You'll actually want to turn away from where you're throwing (shoulders, hips, head). It can be a bit disconcerting at first, but it will actually help your accuracy because it will help everything line up (note this is for a distance throw, the shorter you're throwing, the less you have to turn away).
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Your running direction is for an anny and you plant to the right of the line , which is also an anny and you throw flat. Misalignment in different body parts is a source of inconsistency and missing. Don't be afraid of turning your back to the target and breaking eye contact.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tjmpsu » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:15 am

Thanks for everything so far guys! One other thing I notice about that video of Avery is that he doesn't get to full reach back until his plant foot starts to touch the ground. Working on a longer a reach back is already on my to do list now, but would working on delaying it/getting the mental cue down not to start pulling till that plant foot hits the ground help prompt a better weight shift?

I have had success at times (as far as weight shift goes) with focusing on pushing off of my right leg hard and quickly, like (from my understanding) what needs to happen to snap a towel or ruler. Any other ways of thinking about it?

Also, at the risk of sounding naive, (for LHBH) right to left run-up = hyzer, left to right = anny, straight = flat?
tjmpsu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Correct about the running directions. Some are at the reach back when the final step plants. Don't know if there is a large difference. I would try both ways to see, which version works best for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique