Axis of Evil

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh yeah, that reminds me: How does it handle the Comet's favorite trick, the short, low power anhyzer?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:44 pm

I have hard time believing the glide is comet-like before I see it though.

jubuttib wrote:Oh yeah, that reminds me: How does it handle the Comet's favorite trick, the short, low power anhyzer?

Let me be clear...No disc can now or perhaps ever match the Comet's glide at low speeds. Disc designers would have to put themselves in a 1990s mentality to achieve that. The Axis is low profile and faster than a Roc, so it's not going to look like a Comet in the air. I refuse to compare Fuses/Comets due to the radically different designs and HSS, and when it comes to real specifics it's also hard to compare the Comet and the Axis. I will say that the Axis is closer to a Comet than the Fuse in that it has a true neutral stability and it's easy to turn but hard to flip. The Axis also holds it's altitude on different angles like the Comet and is effortless to get up in the air like a Comet as well. The glide is hard to compare as the Axis is 1-2 steps faster. They probably have a similar range when each are thrown optimally, though I'd give a slight nod to the Axis in all but tailwinds. Due to the similar air-out range and the Axis being faster, logically that suggests the Comet probably still has a slight glide advantage.

Regarding the second quote...The Axis does that shot remarkably well because it holds it's height and does not need an excessive angle to hold a sweeping anny even at low to medium speeds. Again, it is faster and this makes the lines a little different.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dvlcek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:51 pm

So how does this compare/differ to a Storm? From your description Dspeed, it sounds really close to what I remember the Storm being. Point and throw, then watch it land where you wanted. I know the Storm is more of a driver but it sounds like this may be the same type of thing. (Or it seems that mids are getting faster as well these days and getting into that old school driver area like the Storm, Stratus, Cobra, Stingray.....). Anyway, sounds like a disc I will be giving a trial run.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:58 pm

dvlcek wrote:So how does this compare/differ to a Storm? From your description Dspeed, it sounds really close to what I remember the Storm being. Point and throw, then watch it land where you wanted. I know the Storm is more of a driver but it sounds like this may be the same type of thing. (Or it seems that mids are getting faster as well these days and getting into that old school driver area like the Storm, Stratus, Cobra, Stingray.....). Anyway, sounds like a disc I will be giving a trial run.

I forgot about the Storm...However, I threw a lot of Z Storms back in the day. That is actually a pretty good comparison, though I think the Storm was definitely a little faster than the Axis, and the Axis has a bit more glide. The neutral flight is similar. I also remember the Z Storm breaking into a bit more of a Cobra-style hyzer flip disc after a few good whacks, and something tells me that the Axis is not going to give up stability like that. In the hand the Axis feels more like a Buzzz or a Fuse, not as shallow as the Storm.
discspeed

Postby dvlcek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks Discspeed. I was really interested in hearing about the flights since I figured the Storm would be a little faster and shallower in the grip. Assuming the same thing that the Axis won't break in near as fast. I was just starting to discover the Storm when Dcraft pulled it from production so I never pursued any further. Just remember it being a very straight disc with not much fade that fit between mids and fairway drivers for me. Now a days, I can get my mids there and wouldn't mind that "out-of-the-box" straight mid for lower lines that the Comet can't do as well.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby Mike C » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Monocacy wrote:
turso wrote:I have hard time believing the glide is comet-like before I see it though.

Even if the Axis is all that, the Comet might stay in the bag for certain courses that require particularly Comety shots on certain holes. I would like to stick with two midrange molds, though - throwing a lot of different discs definitely messes with my consistency.

The Axis definitely glides well, check this link out. Look at how long it glides out, and that's on a hyzer line.

I find it's faster and not quite as easy to turn over as a Comet. They cover a lot of the same shots but the way they get there will be different.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby chickenonabun » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:45 pm

would you guys that have thrown it say it is faster or slower than the buzzz or the same speed? If it is just a slightly slower buzzz ( or even the same speed) I am definatley going to be trying this bad boy out.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 pm

chickenonabun wrote:would you guys that have thrown it say it is faster or slower than the buzzz or the same speed? If it is just a slightly slower buzzz ( or even the same speed) I am definatley going to be trying this bad boy out.

It is slightly slower, but closer to a Buzzz than a Roc in speed.
discspeed

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Mike C wrote:The Axis definitely glides well, check this link out. Look at how long it glides out, and that's on a hyzer line.

I had seen and enjoyed your videos, so thank you for posting them. You need to realize, though, that we live in different universes with regards to throwing distance. I usually throw midranges inside 250', so most will fly somewhat differently for me.

Mike C wrote:I find it's faster and not quite as easy to turn over as a Comet. They cover a lot of the same shots but the way they get there will be different.

That is what I'm looking forward to testing. To use putters as an example, I have bounced between carrying two molds (Wizard and Magic) versus carrying one workable mold (Warlock previously, now Ion). It took some time to learn to replicate Magic lines with an Ion, but in general the more I throw a particular mold the better I seem to do. I am hoping that the Axis will be able to cover Comet lines and more.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mike C » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm

If you click that link again and watch the first two drives, the third shot is a nice laser upshot at about 100'. They glide well at shorter ranges too, as long as you get a little spin on them.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Apothecary » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:00 pm

is it weird that i grow a big rubbery one watching you throw? :\
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Mike C wrote:If you click that link again and watch the first two drives, the third shot is a nice laser upshot at about 100'. They glide well at shorter ranges too, as long as you get a little spin on them.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. I assumed that shot was a putter, so I will await even more impatiently the day that the 165ish Axis is released.

Prediction: Shortly after the 160s Axis is released we will start hearing about how they fly the same lines as the heavier Axis, but with better glide. Disc Golf Center and Marshall Street will sell out of light Axes quickly, and re-stock slowly. Sigh.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am

Apothecary wrote:is it weird that i grow a big rubbery one watching you throw? :\

I don't find it surprising that you do. Weird yes so par for the course :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jgheels1999 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 am

I'm really looking forward to this thing being a nice compliment to the Fuse.
ION, jokeri, Fuse, Axis, River, TB, Valk
Aces: Hole #11 Stumpy Creek 290' 170 S Ion
jgheels1999
Noob

Postby discspeed » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:07 am

jgheels1999 wrote:I'm really looking forward to this thing being a nice compliment to the Fuse.

It is a very nice compliment. Once I got my first Fuse good and broken in I added a new Fuse hoping to compliment it. Unfortunately the new Fuse flew on the exact same lines, just from a flatter release and wasn't any more reliable in the wind. The Axis is the disc I wanted the new Fuse to be...Really straight and line holding, but not touchy and really wind resistant for a neutral disc.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment